Cruising Granny

Been following this blog for awhile but first time posting. Love this blog. Feel like I’m taking an advanced course in Cruising - too much good info for Cruising 101.

Just returned from Mariner Aug. 12. Previous 2 were on Wonder so wasn’t sure about “down sizing “ ship. Must say we had a great cruise! Nothing negative to say. We even enjoyed the MDR. Maybe we just aren’t picky eaters. Food was hot, served in a timely fashion, great waiter and assistant. Room steward was also good. Met him on first day as soon as cabins were ready. Did a great job - cleaning and meeting our requests. 

Thanks to everyone who posts such great info here! Feel like I know you just from following.

We have found that the service on the "smaller" ships is mostly better than on the larger ships. The crew is more in tune with the guests and they go out of their way to help  as they usually do not have all the bells and whistles of the big boys. We always love our small ship voyages over the bigger ones. As someone once said: "we aim to please".

Sounds like you are a smart lady.  What I have found is the larger ships are great for when you are with families, and you want to do everything available.   The smaller ships are nice when you want a more personalized cruise.  When you are on a ship with 2000 passengers you see the same ones often and the staff gets to know you easier.  I am 62 and find I like the trans-Atlantic cruises on the smaller ships.  I get to know people I am cruising with, and the cruise staff have time to learn who I am and what I like.

So

When I am with my son and friends, I cruise the Sympathy of the Seas (or similar) and have lots of ports.

When I am alone, I cruise the Voyager (or similar) and cruise with lots of sea days.