Juneau???

rjac

32 minutes ago, DDaley said:

Mendenhall river levels went back to normal a few days after the flooding so I’d assume not. 

The distance the water had to travel is pretty short. Less than five miles as the crow flies from Mendenhall Lake to Fritz Cove (might be six total miles with twists and turns).

The main reason the flooding was severe is the sheer volume inundating such a small expanse.

7 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

We board Quantum on Monday Morming.  No notice of any change to the Juneau stop.  I fully expect we will be in Juneau this coming Friday.

Ok please check back in I’ll be cruising on ovation in 13 days. Wondering if the glacier is accessible. 

• 2 weeks later...

No problems in Juneau.  Our tour guide did point out one of the homes destroyed by the flood as we passed...basically, a pile of rubble.  But our tour went on exactly as designed.  At Mendenhall Glacier, we took the hike to the waterfall, no problem...But, with how far the glacier has receded in recent years, you couldn't see much of it from the waterfall...better glacier view from the visitor center area.

11 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

No problems in Juneau.  Our tour guide did point out one of the homes destroyed by the flood as we passed...basically, a pile of rubble.  But our tour went on exactly as designed.  At Mendenhall Glacier, we took the hike to the waterfall, no problem...But, with how far the glacier has receded in recent years, you couldn't see much of it from the waterfall...better glacier view from the visitor center area.

Our Alaska cruises were 8 years apart. The way Mendenhall Glacier receded in just that period of time was unexpected and unsettling.