Giovannis Table for lunch - a few questions

JFCruise

After 8 or so cruises, I finally bit the bullet and I'm actually paying for speciality dining on a cruise. Technically not dining, but still. We decided to have lunch at Giovanni's Table in our next cruise but there are a few things I haven't yet been able to find:

1. Is the menu different from lunch to dinner? For some reason in the Cruise planner in the app it says that the restaurant will be closed all days except the first one, and in the first day it only shows the dinner menu.

2. Is it like the MDR where I can order a couple of starters, or is it a more strict policy regarding what I can have?

2.a - We are taking a 4 year old. So we didn't pay for his lunch. Can we maybe share from what we order and have more a family meal than 'each eats their own dish'?

3. What is the dress code for lunch and what is a real no-no? What is actually enforced? The Planner says 'Smart Casual' but is that only for dinner?

4. What are some recommendations regarding dishes? Any must haves? Anything that's not particularly great?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

And to end in a funny note - I realized a few hours after booking that we booked the same day it's Italian Night at the MDR, apparently. I'm still not sure if I'll go all italian all day, or try to mix it up with something different at night. 

Edited by JFCruise
Specified which Gio's

• JFCruise changed the title to Giovannis Table for lunch - a few questions
3 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

The first thing you need to specify... Giovanni's Table (the OG version) or Giovanni's Kitchen (newer version)? They have very different menus.

I can't help you with either, never had lunch at either, but others will need to know to help you.

I didn't even realize there were 2 different ones. It's Table - Independence OTS. I've also edited the post to make it clear, thanks for the head's up.

34 minutes ago, JFCruise said:

I didn't even realize there were 2 different ones. It's Table - Independence OTS. I've also edited the post to make it clear, thanks for the head's up.

No problem. I totally skipped over your other questions.

1. Yes, they are different menus. The app is probably just being less-than-helpful as usual.

2. You can definitely share, order what you want (within reason).

3. No dress code, not even for dinner, just don't show up in pool attire and flip flops. Shorts and any decent top are fine.

4. Since we enjoy Giovanni's Table and actually had dinner there twice on Indy last year (July and October), I'll give an answer that may or may not help since I'm too lazy to go find the lunch menu.

For dinner... I like the meat and cheese board as an app (comes with these little spicy pickled veggies in a jar that are surprisingly good), I always get the carbonara as my pasta, wife likes the risotto, and we both always get filet mignon (I'm guessing that's not on the lunch menu though). Canollis are good for dessert.

Enjoy your lunch!

1) The menu will be different from lunch to dinner, with dinner having more options.

2) Order and share away!

2a) yes!

3) Anything except swimwear will be fine. Shorts, hats, flip flops…no issue in the least.

4) Just order what sounds good to you. Everyone here has different tastebuds and you will not find a consensus on what is good and what isn’t. 

On 2a, while sharing is fine, it generally assumes all parties sharing have paid the cover.  In practice I doubt they will bust you for sneaking something to your 4 year old, but the child's price is usually way less than the adult price.  I think you should pay their way or take them to Adventure Ocean if you don't see value in the cost of the child price.

7 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

That's identical to the dinner menu; that's the issue.

Unless they've suddenly done away with the lunch menu (unlikely), the app is only showing the dinner menu.

No, it's a little different. The lunch menu doesn't have the Osso Bucco. Only real difference I can see. The lunch is absolutely a deal versus the dinner price.

Lunch has filet mignon?

Yes. We had lunch at Giovanni's Table on Liberty in June I believe on Day 2. We both had filet mignon. The service and meal was so good that we changed out Chops dinner reservation to Gio's as well - ended up eating there 3 times in 9 days. Osso Bucco only on the dinner menu (and was also really good!)

11 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Lunch has filet mignon?

That's what it shows on the lunch menu where I can book online.  On the app it doesn't even show a lunch menu. In fact it doesn't even show any lunch hours for Giovanni's Table. This is for the Oasis on 10/15/23 cruise. And I corrected my earlier post. They do show Garlicky Prawns on the lunch menu also online. 

They need to update the app.

1 minute ago, FloatyBoaty said:

Yes. We had lunch at Giovanni's Table on Liberty in June I believe on Day 2. We both had filet mignon. The service and meal was so good that we changed out Chops dinner reservation to Gio's as well - ended up eating there 3 times in 9 days. Osso Bucco only on the dinner menu (and was also really good!)

I was just curious. That's great.

As I mentioned earlier, GT has always been a favorite of ours and we've always gotten the filet for dinner. Never even tried Chops but have had many people mention over the years that they prefer the filet at GT. Back when Royal had "First Night Done Right" where anyone got a BOGO on night one, we always ate at GT. Looking forward to getting our BOGO's once we turn D+.

Likely won't see another GT for quite a while so we were happy to go there twice on Indy last year. It was excellent as usual.

6 hours ago, Xaa said:

On 2a, while sharing is fine, it generally assumes all parties sharing have paid the cover.  In practice I doubt they will bust you for sneaking something to your 4 year old, but the child's price is usually way less than the adult price.  I think you should pay their way or take them to Adventure Ocean if you don't see value in the cost of the child price.

The Child’s price is ages 6-12, therefore I think they are good 100% with not paying at all for a 4 year old. I might be wayyyyy off as my kids are much older and I have no personal experience with this, but that is the way I’m reading into it.

15 minutes ago, Ryan79 said:

The Child’s price is ages 6-12, therefore I think they are good 100% with not paying at all for a 4 year old. I might be wayyyyy off as my kids are much older and I have no personal experience with this, but that is the way I’m reading into it.

You're absolutely right.  Even says 0-5 complimentary.  I stand corrected.

Child pricing applies to children between the ages of 6-12. Children ages 0-5 are complimentary.

43 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

people mention over the years that they prefer the filet at GT.

Looking forward to getting our BOGO's once we turn D+.

people prefer the filet at GT.:  I had heard that too and we were on a mission to compare them. We did have lunch at Chops one day too (and always visit when we are on board) I think my husband had the filet all 3 times at Gio's and at Chops as well. I also had at both places. Not sure I could reallllllyyyyyy taste much of a difference, but we did enjoy the ambiance and service more at Gio's than at Chops on Liberty. And omg the Carbonara at Gio's was so amazing

Diamond Pus - yes, us too! We will earn it after our January sailing. So excited!!!

12 minutes ago, FloatyBoaty said:

people prefer the filet at GT.:  I had heard that too and we were on a mission to compare them. We did have lunch at Chops one day too (and always visit when we are on board) I think my husband had the filet all 3 times at Gio's and at Chops as well. I had at both places as well. Not sure I could reallllllyyyyyy taste much of a difference, but we did enjoy the ambiance and service more at Gio's than at Chops on Liberty. And omg the Carbonara at Gio's was so amazing

Diamond Pus - yes, us too! We will earn it after our January sailing. So excited!!!

Love the carbonara! Filet isn't even my preferred cut of steak but it has always been very good (I like some fat, like a ribeye) and it's the only cut my wife eats (it's either filet or a burger for her, nothing else, lol).

Since I'd be eating steak either way, I'd rather have the pasta to go with it.

Congrats in advance on D+... we have to wait until after our March cruise but then we'll be making use of it not long after that.

17 hours ago, Xaa said:

When I made the reservation, the kid's fee was free. There is also a kid's menu - and my kid wouldn't mind eating off it. I was just curious if he would be able to have anything from the regular menu but if he can't, it's no big deal.

20 hours ago, ScottD said:

Try to change the app to the current sailing of your ship, then check the menus- the lunch menu should show up. .... I found it and posted it below for you...

Thanks a lot for the screenshots, I didn't think of checking other dates. The app is particularly weird with my sailing since also the MDR menu isn't available - but I know what to expect there.

28 minutes ago, JFCruise said:

When I made the reservation, the kid's fee was free. There is also a kid's menu - and my kid wouldn't mind eating off it. I was just curious if he would be able to have anything from the regular menu but if he can't, it's no big deal.

I was totally wrong.  You are all set doing what you want and the sharing will be completely fine.  Sorry about that.  Enjoy your cruise and lunch!

On 8/11/2023 at 2:29 PM, nferr said:

That's what it shows on the lunch menu where I can book online.  On the app it doesn't even show a lunch menu. In fact it doesn't even show any lunch hours for Giovanni's Table. This is for the Oasis on 10/15/23 cruise. And I corrected my earlier post. They do show Garlicky Prawns on the lunch menu also online. 

They need to update the app.

I'm currently on board, and all the restaurants that are open for lunch show the lunch menu. MDR menus don't seem to show breakfast, lunch, brunch til you're onboard either. And GT on Oasis ea marvelous for lunch. DH wanted to lick the bowl his risotto was in

3 minutes ago, MaryCS62 said:

I'm currently on board, and all the restaurants that are open for lunch show the lunch menu. MDR menus don't seem to show breakfast, lunch, brunch til you're onboard either. And GT on Oasis ea marvelous for lunch. DH wanted to lick the bowl his risotto was in

In my experience, several things aren't fully updated/accurate until you board.

On 8/11/2023 at 2:35 PM, OCSC Mike said:

I was just curious. That's great.

As I mentioned earlier, GT has always been a favorite of ours and we've always gotten the filet for dinner. Never even tried Chops but have had many people mention over the years that they prefer the filet at GT. Back when Royal had "First Night Done Right" where anyone got a BOGO on night one, we always ate at GT. Looking forward to getting our BOGO's once we turn D+.

Likely won't see another GT for quite a while so we were happy to go there twice on Indy last year. It was excellent as usual.

Currently on Oasis, have the UDP. Went to Chops night one & Giovanni's last night. DH got filet at both, and said the one at Gio's was hands down better than Chops. Chops was good, but Gio's was amazing, according to him 

40 minutes ago, MaryCS62 said:

Currently on Oasis, have the UDP. Went to Chops night one & Giovanni's last night. DH got filet at both, and said the one at Gio's was hands down better than Chops. Chops was good, but Gio's was amazing, according to him 

Thanks for the info. I saw the filet on the menu and it's in the "definitely maybe" category for when we sail. I usually try to avoid ordering steak at restaurants because I always end up dissapointed, but the Barolo sauce sounds interesting.

11 hours ago, JFCruise said:

Thanks for the info. I saw the filet on the menu and it's in the "definitely maybe" category for when we sail. I usually try to avoid ordering steak at restaurants because I always end up dissapointed, but the Barolo sauce sounds interesting.

Never had a bad filet at GT across several ships. That said, I ditch the sauce. I'm a steak purest I guess.

What I like about GT is getting a nice sized pasta entree along with my steak. It's like the best of both worlds if you want steak and Italian.

4 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Never had a bad filet at GT across several ships. That said, I ditch the sauce. I'm a steak purest I guess.

What I like about GT is getting a nice sized pasta entree along with my steak. It's like the best of both worlds if you want steak and Italian.

Are portion sizes similar to the MDR? In the MDR my wife and I can usually have more than one starter/entree but we aren't the biggest of eaters.

And I'm like you, I'm usually a steak purist, to the point where I almost never order steak at restaruants and prefer to do it myself, by my own rules. But a sauce that's made with a pretty expensive wine sounds interesting.

15 minutes ago, JFCruise said:

Are portion sizes similar to the MDR? In the MDR my wife and I can usually have more than one starter/entree but we aren't the biggest of eaters.

No, definitely bigger. I'm not a big guy but I can eat, especially on cruises, and by the time I'm done with my app, filet, and carbonara, I just barely have room for dessert.

When we eat in the MDR (not often b/c wife is very picky, portions are small, and food has always been hit or miss to us), I always have room for something else later.

No, definitely bigger. I'm not a big guy but I can eat, especially on cruises, and by the time I'm done with my app, filet, and carbonara, I just barely have room for dessert.

When we eat in the MDR (not often b/c wife is very picky, portions are small, and food has always been hit or miss to us), I always have room for something else later.

I'll keep that in mind.

As far as MDR - I've always had dinner there. Never in the buffet or restaurant or whatever. I've never had a problem with something that wasn't good, except for one time I ordered a dessert I misread and wasn't what I was expecting, but whatever. I find small portions as a pro, because you're able to have more variety.

23 minutes ago, JFCruise said:

As far as MDR - I've always had dinner there. Never in the buffet or restaurant or whatever. I've never had a problem with something that wasn't good, except for one time I ordered a dessert I misread and wasn't what I was expecting, but whatever. I find small portions as a pro, because you're able to have more variety.

And that's why my go to endorsement of cruising is... there are an infinite number of ways to enjoy it (food, activities, etc.). Everyone finds what works for them.

Variety is why WJ has always worked for us in addition to the all you can eat part... I can obviously try lots of stuff and picky wife has a decent chance of finding something. Before the MDR menu changes, when we were on extended family cruises and ate in the MDR every night, she wound up ordering caesar salad and the standby/classic chicken breast at least 4 nights out of 7 nights (yes, she's that picky, lol). I care more about eating than she does but plain chicken isn't exactly how she wants to enjoy her vacation dinners.