Single Rates

Hi

Please do not use my name. Address me as Rose

I am an advid cruiser who loves to cruise. I have been on 20+ cruises with my late husband but would like to do a solo cruise. It seems that all the attention is families ( okay) but the price for a stateroom is high. I understand that their is single rstes but that's for room without a balcony.  I know it is revenue for the company but why?  The room is a single person which is not messy. We pay the same price for drinks, dinning, excursions etc as everyone else. Why do we pay more for a room? We don't even get a reasonable discount. I am not entitle to C&A discount until I reached a certain amount of points.  Sorry for ranting but I just feel as though there is no concern for single. Sometimes you just want to get away alone without friends and meet new people. 

I agree as a person who primarily cruises solo, I pay double. The thing is that the rooms are all based on at least double occupancy, so if only one person stays in a two-person room, they are losing out on revenue. Some ships have solo rooms, but they are few and far between, they also get sold quickly. A single person pays double fare but not the taxes and fees. 

6 hours ago, Robin Trinity said:

Sorry for ranting but I just feel as though there is no concern for single.

No, that is absolutely the case. Nothing to be sorry about. They tried for a while with the Quantum ships but they never have really went all out like NCL has. Kind of halfhearted IMO. The amazing part to me is that the Solo rooms ALWAYS sellout. Yet they keep scaling them back. None on Icon. None on nearly all Oasis class ships. (Harmony has some I think) Odyssey has less than half than the previous Quantum ships. I am sure they have stats to back them up as to why it's not worth it for them. But I know when I can get a solo cabin at a reasonable rate I spend more onboard and I cruise more often per year. I am going to miss Anthem out of NJ tremendously because she has 26 solo cabins and I could sometimes snag one if I was quick enough. It usually was not half, but it was significantly less than usual fare. Odyssey is coming after Anthem, but it only has 12 solos. This is the only reason I have any interest in NCL at all.

If you don't care about double points Matt's trick of pricing out 2 guests can sometimes save you big money. I got an inside on Oasis for two in October for about $1000 before taxes, grats etc. Pricing the same room for one was $1600.

I don't understand the problem... If you actually look at the cost it is less to cruise solo... I have to pay for me and my wife and if it was just me I would say a few bucks.

While the single rate is more per person it is less total than paying for 2 people. With 2 there is double gratuities, port fees and taxes. 

Remember you are paying for the cabin not just as a per person fee.

45 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

Remember you are paying for the cabin not just as a per person fee.

Think of it like a hotel room (which it is, but just happens to move from place to place). When I travel alone on business, I pay the same price for a hotel room as my wife and I would for the same room if travelling together for pleasure.

14 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Think of it like a hotel room (which it is, but just happens to move from place to place). When I travel alone on business, I pay the same price for a hotel room as my wife and I would for the same room if travelling together for pleasure.

That is for a hotel... the cruise industry does not work that way.  

And the hotel does not have to pay for the fuel to move from place to place. You get more for what you pay for on a cruise than a hotel.

48 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

That is for a hotel... the cruise industry does not work that way.  

And the hotel does not have to pay for the fuel to move from place to place. You get more for what you pay for on a cruise than a hotel.

My point was to the OP complaining about paying "more" as a single, adding on to your comment that one is paying for the room as a whole. I was AGREEING with you, but you seem to have missed that point.

Yes, the cruise industry DOES work that way. There is a minimum cost for the ROOM and you pay the full price whether there is one person in that room or two (C&A 340+ points is the exception). The difference between cruise cabins and hotel rooms comes into play when you add a third person (or more) to a room. The cruise fare is discounted, a hotel room is (typically) no additional charge.