Hotel for Port Canaveral Cruise with Dinner Arrival - Port or Airport

We'll be on Wonder next March and our flight doesn't arrive until 5:30pm or so.   We've never cruised out of Port Canaveral before.

Would you recommend staying by the airport since it's evening?  Or would you stay near the port?  We are the types that like to get on the ship as early as possible.

Also, we don't want to spend a lot since we won't be there for the full day before and just need somewhere to grab a quick bite and breakfast in the morning (breakfast in hotel is preferred).  if staying by the port, looking at something like Best Western Cocoa Beach or Holiday Inn Express Coca Beach.  If staying by the aitport maybe La Quinta Inn & Suites or Homewood Suites but please let me know if any suggestions.

Thanks.

Thank you both.  Hyatt Regency is a bit more than we want to pay, but definitely convenient.  Sounds like we should just stay near the airport then and give ourselves 1hr travel time in the morning.  (Port Everglades is so much more convenient...and even Miami port!)

1 minute ago, WannaCruise said:

Hyatt Regency is a bit more than we want to pay, but definitely convenient. 

Pricier yes, but definitely worth it for the convenience of that place. When booking Hyatt properties, I usually book a refundable rate and then price watch and adjust as time goes on. But even if it's not the Hyatt, I would still stay near the airport and make my way to PC the next morning. We have done that several times in the past when doing DCL with the kids.

When evaluating a place to stay before a cruise, price is about the 4th thing I look at. I can easily substantiate a somewhat higher price if it makes other higher ranking criteria better, easier, or perhaps free. 

Take it from a person who has flown to every cruise he has been on, Orlando/Port Canaveral is not an easy one. On the surface it sounds like a good idea but in reality I have found it far from ideal. It's not a Gold Star port.

Look at hotels in the Samoran Blvd area near the airport.  All kinds at all price levels.  Walking distance to various eateries.  Most, if not all, provide a complementary airport shuttle and many have complementary breakfast.  Then call Cortrans or Cruise Control Transportation and arrange a shuttle to the port in the am.  We’ve done this twice and it is very easy & convenient.

Every degenerate RC cruiser on these boards needs to have the easy, care-free experience of flying to a Gold Star port; not renting a car, having lots to see and explore within walking distance, bountiful bar and restaurants all close by, some type of shopping for last minute items, a reasonable breakfast place so you don't have to eat the free DIY waffles, classier hotel accommodations the you normally get yourself (for the same reason you upgraded your stateroom), just one cab/Uber/Lift\, and <drumroll> walking yourself and your luggage to the port terminal in the morning! <cymbal crash>

Vancouver, Tampa Bay, Honolulu, Venice, and the ultimate fly to port,  the amazing Double Gold Star port of **New Orleans**

27 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Look at hotels in the Samoran Blvd area near the airport.  All kinds at all price levels.  Walking distance to various eateries.  Most, if not all, provide a complementary airport shuttle and many have complementary breakfast.  Then call Cortrans or Cruise Control Transportation and arrange a shuttle to the port in the am.  We’ve done this twice and it is very easy & convenient.

Thank you!  Let me search on the area.

Have never used, but have heard of Cortans for transportation to the port, but have heard of it.  Normally we like to just uber, but since the port is far from the hotel, you recommend a shuttle instead?  There will be 3 of us if that makes a difference price-wise.

Port Canaveral is our favorite.  And I've found the whole area is geared to cruisers.  I've stayed at multiple places, and one way or the other, transportation to the airport was super easy. 

Not super fancy but our favorite stay is La Quinta in Coco Beach.  Pool with bar, an easy walk for dinner, and a wonderful included continental breakfast.  And a bus to the pier waiting outside the door after breakfast.

8 hours ago, bobroo said:

Every degenerate RC cruiser on these boards needs to have the easy, care-free experience of flying to a Gold Star port; not renting a car, having lots to see and explore within walking distance, bountiful bar and restaurants all close by, some type of shopping for last minute items, a reasonable breakfast place so you don't have to eat the free DIY waffles, classier hotel accommodations the you normally get yourself (for the same reason you upgraded your stateroom), just one cab/Uber/Lift\, and <drumroll> walking yourself and your luggage to the port terminal in the morning! <cymbal crash>

Vancouver, Tampa Bay, Honolulu, Venice, and the ultimate fly to port,  the amazing Double Gold Star port of **New Orleans**

Hey, opinions are like …….  Everybody’s got one.  I find MCO to PC very easy.  YMMV