Izumi Replacing Diamond Club on Enchantment

I have heard that during the next refurbishment, the area which is now the Diamond lounge (deck 12) will become an Izumi restaurant. Is this accurate and if so...where will the Diamond Lounge be located? Any other major changes anyone knows of? We are booked on her in Oct. of 2024.  Thanks for any insights.

17 hours ago, Dave SeaPup 2 said:

I have heard that during the next refurbishment, the area which is now the Diamond lounge (deck 12) will become an Izumi restaurant. Is this accurate and if so...where will the Diamond Lounge be located? Any other major changes anyone knows of? We are booked on her in Oct. of 2024.  Thanks for any insights.

I wonder if they mean that cut out area up the  steps or park if the crown Viking lounge (name?)  that lounge is quite large and when I’ve sailed Enchantment it’s quite empty.  The Pinnacle lounge is on the other side of the Diamond lounge, I can’t see them getting rid of both

While I like the current location of the Diamond Lounge on the Enchantment, if RC intends to keep Enchantment around for several more years (very good chance they don't with all the new ships coming online), it would make a lot of sense to sync up the layout of the specialty restaurants, Diamond Lounge and conference center with the other three remaining Vision Class ships.  In doing so, they would gain Izumi along with Giovanni's in addition to the existing Chops Grille and Chef's Table.  From a business perspective it would make a lot more sense and add a significant boost to ancillary revenue generation but only if they plan to keep it long enough to cover the breakeven period.  With the sixth Oasis Class ship and Icon Class ships coming online over the next several years I have to think the Vision Class ships are living on borrowed time, in part thanks to Covid. 

1 hour ago, The Crown and Anchor Life said:

While I like the current location of the Diamond Lounge on the Enchantment, if RC intends to keep Enchantment around for several more years (very good chance they don't with all the new ships coming online), it would make a lot of sense to sync up the layout of the specialty restaurants, Diamond Lounge and conference center with the other three remaining Vision Class ships.  In doing so, they would gain Izumi along with Giovanni's in addition to the existing Chops Grille and Chef's Table.  From a business perspective it would make a lot more sense and add a significant boost to ancillary revenue generation but only if they plan to keep it long enough to cover the breakeven period.  With the sixth Oasis Class ship and Icon Class ships coming online over the next several years I have to think the Vision Class ships are living on borrowed time, in part thanks to Covid. 

I think COVID extended their time at Royal.

Grandeur already had one foot out the door.  The loss of Pullmantur, cemented shut by the pandemic, eliminated the pasture where Royal could transitions ships out of the RCI/Celebrity fleet.   

COVID also sent a lot of would be potential older ship buyers scattering into the wind.  That's left many lines like Royal faced with two options.  Keep them or scrap them.  Not ready to scrap them, they keep them, for now.  

6 hours ago, The Crown and Anchor Life said:

My own observation, the smaller  ships attract an older crowd and they don’t seem to have an interest in spending the extra $ For specialty dining.   I wonder if this is a waste of $

45 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

My own observation, the smaller  ships attract an older crowd and they don’t seem to have an interest in spending the extra $ For specialty dining.   I wonder if this is a waste of $

In Baltimore possibly.

Royal has the numbers.  They know what each ship in this class brings in for onboard revenue.  There is little guesswork involved. 

Some people avoid Enchantment because it has only Chops.  It's been that way for a long, long time.      

I've always thought it ironic, biggest in class, fewest venues.   

15 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

Possibly, I'm not sure, we'd have to see the statistics that RC most likely compiles.  We're in our mid-fifties and in the past swore by the mdr but the last several cruises over the last couple years we've been doing more and more specialty dining.  When we cruise Oasis class ships we probably do 50%/50% mdr/specialty.  With over 40 cruises, we actually just booked our first Celebrity cruise specifically because of the food.  Coincidently, our next cruise is a 9 night on the Vision out of Baltimore.  The longer cruise will give us the opportunity to try some of the specialty restaurants along with the mdr.

Having said all of that, the questions is does it make business sense to invest in a ship most likely very near it's end of life.  We're hoping RC invests in a new mid-size class to replace the Vision and Radiance class of ships that will be going out of service but the reality is that no longer fits the RC business model, that is what Celebrity is for and possibly, to a smaller degree, Silversea as people also continue to grow.