Tax rate on ship

My daughter purchased the wifi package for 2 devices for our upcoming Symphony cruise out of Barcelona. The cost was as follows:

Wifi for 2 devices- $230.93

Tax- $48.44

Total- $279.37

So the tax rate is almost 21%!  Is this typical for RCL?

2 hours ago, JG441 said:

My daughter purchased the wifi package for 2 devices for our upcoming Symphony cruise out of Barcelona. The cost was as follows:

Wifi for 2 devices- $230.93

Tax- $48.44

Total- $279.37

So the tax rate is almost 21%!  Is this typical for RCL?

Spanish VAT; this has nothing to do with Royal Caribbean

There is a process to get the VAT paperwork, so fully discuss with Royal. Must be 100 plus from same vendor. Use same SeaPass to make it easier. Refund kiosk at airport after security. But critical to get Royal or other vendor to give you form. We never received ours, just the original receipts.

On 5/15/2023 at 2:10 AM, smokeybandit said:

If you're not a resident of the EU, you can get VAT taxes refunded.

On 5/15/2023 at 11:51 AM, ChessE4 said:

There is a process to get the VAT paperwork, so fully discuss with Royal. Must be 100 plus from same vendor. Use same SeaPass to make it easier. Refund kiosk at airport after security. But critical to get Royal or other vendor to give you form. We never received ours, just the original receipts.

I could be wrong but i was under the impression that VAT refund was only for actual goods that go in your suitcase! 

I do know you cannot get for food and drink but i have never read or heard about VAT returns for Internet and i use this refund service where possible when travelling.

This is from the company i use 

Screenshot_20230517_065559.jpg

Tax refunds are only for physical items that are exported out of the EU, you cannot get a refund on any goods or services purchased inside the EU unless you are exporting them, you have to show the refund form and the goods to customs in the airport to get the refund.

On 5/15/2023 at 9:33 AM, JG441 said:

Hmm. Our hotel receipt says Spain's VAT is 10%.

Google says....

21%

The standard VAT rate in Spain is 21%.
The first reduced VAT rate (10%) applies to the purchase of newly built properties, hotels. Restaurants, health products, sports and entertainment activities. The second reduced VAT rate (4%) applies to certain food items, newspapers, magazines, books.

5 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

Good point about goods. We had done just that, but Royal didn't get us the form after filling it out. So I remind folks buying pricey gifts to get the form.

You need a special vat refund reciept from the shop you purchase goods from. 

These forms have a special number on them that is used by refund counters at airports or other locations. 

Refund must also be done before you leave the country! Only variation to this that i am aware of is Finland & Sweden where you can get refunds from 1 country in the other.

Some countries do not have a minimum purchase, you can purchase something at €10 and claim back as long as the shop is part of the programme ( not everywhere will do it) 

So it sounds like we have no recourse in this case. I do wonder though, if we purchase something once we're in international waters, does the tax no longer apply?

On 5/14/2023 at 8:06 PM, AshleyDillo said:

VAT in Barcelona is 21%, so yes those figures are accurate.