New Menu - Lack of Vegan Options and Creativity

There has been lots of feedback regarding the new menu - both positive and negative.

As someone who eats meat (less and less beef), chicken, and seafood in addition to fruits and vegetables, it is fine.  I will find plenty of options.  4 of 7 in my family are vegan.  The options are almost non-existent. 1 choice and that is it.

The feedback I have read are that they are not nutritionally balanced all the way to inedible.  One Vegan entre includes honey which is not plant based - how rude.  Nobody has raved about the quality of the vegan choices on Facebook or this board.  Since one can not order off menu, a vegan is stuck with bad food, the Windjammer with no labels of what is vegan and what is not or suck it up.   It appears that the vegan options were an afterthought and not even considered as an integral part of the menu themes. 

There are hundreds of vegan cook books, thousands of plant based restaurants, and hundreds of celebrity chefs who focus on plant based cuisine.  BUY ONE OF THE COOKBOOKS, EAT AT PLANT BASED RESTAURANTS, OR HIRE ONE ONE OF THE CELEBRETY CHEFS AS AN ADVISOR.  IT DOESN'T APPEAR THIS WAS DONE FOR THE VEGAN PORTION OF THE MENU.

The regional themes are great.  There are excellent vegan options within these themes.  The French have savory vegan tarts.  The Caribbean Islands and England have lots of vegan curries.  

Plant based diets are a growing part of the US and global population, especially among those who are younger and have disposable incomes. 

As prices of food have increased and health issues become more in the news, even meat eaters have migrated to eating more vegetables and plant based meals.  The demand is there if the options are appealing.   

I hope this part of the menu will be upgraded by the time we sail to Alaska in July 2024. We booked this cruise thinking that there was a separate vegan menu.  I knew this change, but come on man.  No choices?

@Matt does RC even read posts like this to get feedback or is it a waste of hot air?

I couldn't agree more. The lack of options is seriously irritating, especially for anyone who previously planned their cruise expecting to have a reasonable vegan menu available. One entree and one appetizer option per night, often with polarizing ingredients (mint sauces, asparagus, and eggplant?) is seriously inadequate.

What gets me is that vegan items are also not *just* for vegans. Lots of meat eaters, vegetarians, and flexitarians can enjoy vegan items, not to mention people with dairy and egg allergies. It's not about asking for something exclusive - anyone can have it if they want it - it's about options that are *inclusive.* Cutting vegan items down to one is such a strange choice. It helps no one and actively diminishes the experiences of many,  both vegans and non-vegans.

• 5 months later...

Hello again.  I have seen that RC has made some changes to the menus.  I was sure that the menus would evolve before we cruise in July 2024 to Alaska.  I see they dropped the tofu tacos (really bad feedback - what were they thinking?).  Have the vegan options improved?  We are going on the cruise for the ports and scenery.  But food is still important.

Thanks in advance.  

• 3 months later...

My husband and I just returned from an Alaskan Cruise on the Quantum of the Seas. My husband and I have been Vegan for the last 6 years now . We were asked about our dietary needs before sailing and were very hopeful that we would have some nice and creative Vegan options so that our enjoyment of the food would be comparable to the Non Vegans . I would say we were sorely disappointed . The main eating area, the Windjammer , had several Vegetarian options , but minimal Vegan Options, and none had any creativity , quality, or nutritional forethought.  There was no Tofu, or any plant based protein beyond beans and Veggie burgers which I believe were actually Vegetarian, as it contained egg. My husband and I spent the week eating mainly potatoes in the form of fries ,rice, pasta with Marinara, salad, and fruit. The only Vegan options for breakfast were cereal, toast, or oatmeal. They have a pizza place on the ship , but no plant based cheese. No plant based anything beyond soy milk or almond milk . In 2023 it was shocking to us to pay 3200.00 for a cruise , and have such poor food options . The main dining room had one appetizer,  one main, and one Vegan dessert each night . That's it. One. If you didn't like the option which was mainly curries, squash dishes, or eggplant, the alternate was pasta with Marinara. One night they had what they called Vegan mushroom and Tofu bolognese. We were so excited because honestly, we struggled to find any Vegan protein sources the entire week. However, when it was served , we couldn't believe that they literally just sprinkled a little bit of raw Tofu on top of the pasta with mushroom sauce. We were beyond disappointed at the lack of creativity,  lack of effort,  and lack of consideration for guests who are plant based or even lactose intolerant .In 2023, it is wholly unacceptable to not have options available that include plant based substitutes such as Tofu, Tempeh, Vegan cheeses, butter substitutes . Every meal we felt like we were walking around foraging for food, and never happy with the options . You won't starve on this cruise as a Vegan, but you will certainly eat more fries, marinara pasta, white, unseasoned rice, and oatmeal than you have ever had in your life ! I would not recommend this cruise line for my Vegan friends. 

Sorry you had a bad cruise @Healthy life coach.  I don't think the menus for a Royal Caribbean cruise are difficult to find pre-cruise so i do think you could have known this information before going.  While it is 2023 and vegan options are becoming more main stream, I don't think they are completely main stream or anything more than some minor accommodation to that dietary preference on cruise ships.  I'm actually surprised you expected something more.

Did the separate vegan menu get scrapped when MDR rolled out the new menus this year?  I saw mixed reports of people still being able to get it but that seemed to be during the roll out and I am not sure I ever saw a clear answer.  From OP and Healthy Life's post I have to imagine it is no longer an option?

20 minutes ago, Crown&AnchorEsq said:

Did the separate vegan menu get scrapped when MDR rolled out the new menus this year?  I saw mixed reports of people still being able to get it but that seemed to be during the roll out and I am not sure I ever saw a clear answer.  From OP and Healthy Life's post I have to imagine it is no longer an option?

YES!! Last year I enjoyed eating some of the options that were on the Vegan menu. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am pescatarian and my wife leans more towards vegetarian. Even on Symphony a few years ago we struggled with meals for her at most specialty dinning (and thats without doing to MDR at all.) Our waiter in Wonderland did what he could but eating that as a "non meat eater" is very challenging. I also find meals at the private islands are quite minimal if you have any restriction. Its disappointing because you essentially end up eating all the same things. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2023 at 8:49 PM, Healthy life coach said:
On 10/5/2023 at 8:49 PM, Healthy life coach said:

My husband and I just returned from an Alaskan Cruise on the Quantum of the Seas. My husband and I have been Vegan for the last 6 years now . We were asked about our dietary needs before sailing and were very hopeful that we would have some nice and creative Vegan options so that our enjoyment of the food would be comparable to the Non Vegans . I would say we were sorely disappointed . The main eating area, the Windjammer , had several Vegetarian options , but minimal Vegan Options, and none had any creativity , quality, or nutritional forethought.

@Healthy life coach, it's not only Royal Caribbean; AFAIK. Most of my cruises have been with Carnival in a similar situation.  Speaking with staff helped, though. They take reviews after a cruise, but do they listen? They (Carnival, at least) say they are prepared to meet all dietary needs, and for the most part, that is correct. However, options are limited. I called them and suggested the application can have a few added questions with multiple choices regarding diet.  Example, are you, xxxx.  Substitute vegan here; they can inquire about interest in plant-based meat substitutes, cheese, milk, etc. They could plan and prepare according to the answers. Great idea. We will pass that on, they say.  Probably hits the waste can. Lol! I would like apple pie with plant-based "ice cream". I guess that is too easy. Some of us utilize Gardein, Beyond, to name a few and I am positive these and other companies would gladly have an agreement. They can do more in-house also. We pay the same as everyone else and don't think it is too much to have more options. I also don't think waste is the issue (as was implied to me once) with all the waste I see on a cruise. The plant-based cheeses for pizza can be frozen. I can step aside and wait.  Anyway, maybe Royal Caribbean is different, but it doesn't sound that way. 

That being said, I am fully aware of how things are and am sure I'll gain weight. I will still continue to advocate and suggest improvements for vegans.

• 4 months later...

Oh dear. Getting ready to pull the trigger and book 5 day cruise in June with my 5 year old grandson who is vegan. Now getting worried on what there is for him to eat. Thought a cruise would be a good option so I don't have to struggle to find vegan restaurants  but now getting worried. Any word on a better vegan menu on Allure of The Seas or Independence?