Lack of port options out of Galveston

This is more of an observation than a complaint, but does anyone else notice/hate the lack of different ports out of Galveston?  I love Cozumel and Mexico in general, but it would be nice to have different options (EPSECIALLY Coco Cay).

I understand the logistics because Cozumel and Costa Maya are "close" to Galveston, but why not Jamaica, Cayman, or even Haiti?  Also, wouldn't it be about the same distance to sail east to ABC, Turks, Nassau and Coco Cay?

I really hope that Royal updates the itineraries now that Allure is based out of Galveston and gives us more options and longer cruises.  I'm new to cruising, but would enjoy not having to fly to Florida to go to different places.

6 hours ago, TexanTwoStep said:

This is more of an observation than a complaint, but does anyone else notice/hate the lack of different ports out of Galveston?  I love Cozumel and Mexico in general, but it would be nice to have different options (EPSECIALLY Coco Cay).

I understand the logistics because Cozumel and Costa Maya are "close" to Galveston, but why not Jamaica, Cayman, or even Haiti?  Also, wouldn't it be about the same distance to sail east to ABC, Turks, Nassau and Coco Cay?

I really hope that Royal updates the itineraries now that Allure is based out of Galveston and gives us more options and longer cruises.  I'm new to cruising, but would enjoy not having to fly to Florida to go to different places.

I certainly agree with your sentiment, but I believe Royal is trying to address it. They've even got a name for it! "Port Fatigue"

As @smokeybandit mentions, there are some limited sailings that do make it to Coco Cay.  There are some repositioning cruises that make it to some interesting ports. For example, on April 30, Voyager will reposition from San Juan to Galveston. That cruise will make it to the ABC islands.

One thing that has hurt port variety out of Galveston is the replacement of Liberty with an Oasis class vessel.  I regard this as an upgrade, but there are only 3 (hopefully Belize will make 4 soon) ports within a 7 night cruise from Galveston that can handle a ship of that size.  

Here's hoping that Royal adds a Voyager or Freedom class vessel to the Galveston fleet and starts doing 7+ night itineraries that hit some of the smaller ports. It's not on the list of sailings you can buy, but we can still hope!