Refundable deposits removing discounts?

jupiter03

I normally like to book refundable deposits when I book out a few years, because you never know. However, I've checked a few cruises from today's deployment and the refundable deposit for each cruise I've checked out is equivalent to the 30% all guests discount. So when I click refundable deposit, Royal is pretty much charging me full price. It's annoying that you can't see this charge until you've fill out all your contact information for everybody. Here is a screenshot from one cruise.  Is anybody else seeing this? Is this a bug?

image.thumb.png.84d71ff47223db2147d112cb85ca7798.png

Thanks, I checked a few other sailings (summer 2024, thanksgiving 2024, all the march 2025 sailings) and they all seem to have outrageous refundable deposit add-ons. Is everybody booking non-refundable fares then?  What is everybody doing to protect themselves from unforeseen events? I know you can buy travel insurance, but I'm thinking about all the things that can happen in 2 years that wouldn't be covered by insurance. 

20 minutes ago, jupiter03 said:

Thanks, I checked a few other sailings (summer 2024, thanksgiving 2024, all the march 2025 sailings) and they all seem to have outrageous refundable deposit add-ons. Is everybody booking non-refundable fares then?  What is everybody doing to protect themselves from unforeseen events? I know you can buy travel insurance, but I'm thinking about all the things that can happen in 2 years that wouldn't be covered by insurance. 

Christmas 2024 on Adventure and the refundable was the same as non-refundable.  At least for a balcony. 

Wanna guess which I booked?

Suites had $400-$500 differences. 

Wow, those are some good prices! I live in Texas, so we are limited to Galveston only. Yes, very interesting how the bookings for that sailing all show up as refundable as the default. I spot checked interior/OV cabins in case it was just balcony cabins that didn't have the NR deposit, but they were all like that. Very interesting!

we book non-refundable.  We have an Oasis 10 day on Jan 5th that was booked at the NextCruise desk with $200 deposit.  We have a B2B Alaska in 24 that was also booked at Nextcruise so $400 total deposit and then we have a December 2023 Harmony that was booked on website with a $500 deposit.  

Had we booked the Dec 2023  with a refundable it would have increased the cost by $350.

We buy third party travel insurance with cancel for any reason coverage.

Booking far out has some risk and you just need to manage that to us if we lose $200-500 because something came up that is risk we take and hope our insurance will get us something back.

On 12/15/2022 at 2:17 PM, Xtentions said:

We buy third party travel insurance with cancel for any reason coverage.

Booking far out has some risk and you just need to manage that to us if we lose $200-500 because something came up that is risk we take and hope our insurance will get us something back.

May I ask which travel insurance you use and which plan?