TRADE SANCTION NOTIFICATION (Should I be worried)

amljoynet

We are taking some family friends on a cruise with us next week and I got this notification from Royal Caribbean because although our friends are permanent residents here in the USA with green Cards they are also Russian/Armenian Citizens. 

They were forced to flee Russia due to the war because they or their Ukrainian heritage, so it is concerning for use that we might get a denial.  Anyone experienced this?  Is this just a formality?

Dear XXXXXX

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International. We hope this email finds you well.

We’re reaching out today with regards to booking XXXXXX sailing on XXXX OF THE SEAS departing on XX NOV 2022. Our records show that AXXXXXX in this reservation is a citizen of . Due to current United States trade sanctions against the Crimea, Donetsk, and Luhansk, we are required to verify this guest's residency.

Please provide the residency address of the guest in the following format:

• Full Name
  • Street Address and House/Building Number
  • City/Town and Postal Code
  • Oblast/Krai (administrative region)
  • Country

In addition, please provide a copy of at least two of the following government issued documents, that reflect the guest’s current residence address. These items are required to keep this booking active.

• Passport
  • National Identity Card
  • Driver's License
  • Permanent Resident Alien Card
  • Permanent Resident Alien Application with an adjustment of status application pending

2 hours ago, amljoynet said:

We are taking some family friends on a cruise with us next week and I got this notification from Royal Caribbean because although our friends are permanent residents here in the USA with green Cards they are also Russian/Armenian Citizens. 

They were forced to flee Russia due to the war because they or their Ukrainian heritage, so it is concerning for use that we might get a denial.  Anyone experienced this?  Is this just a formality?

If they are already permanent residents of the USA with green cards as you have stated, then it shouldn't be difficult to provide the requested information.

My girlfriend and I received the same email because she has russian citizenship. She has been in the US with legitimate visas for the past three years and received her green card earlier this year. Because of a name transcription issue with her social security card she has not been able to apply for a state id or drivers license yet. So we’re afraid that they will not accept her russian passport as one of the two documents. Obviously, her passport can’t be American because you need to be an american citizen to get an american passport. Do you guys think they will accept her russian passport to fulfill the requirements to prove residency if it’s sent in combination with a green card? 

• 3 weeks later...

We got a similar notification for a sailing next year. They ask to provide documents over email. This is an incredibly vulnerable communication channel for such sensitive documents (permanent resident ID (aka green card) and driver's license/state ID), between they two docs they have every piece of legally protected PII except a SSN, well enough for identity theft if email gets compromised. Did you just send scans as attachments? I am not comfortable doing it, to be honest... I emailed the address they provided for docs and inquired about a more secure way e.g. uploading the documents, but never heard back. I called the number provided in the letter too, and the employee I talked to told me that the team managing that email address does not respond to emails, they operate like a black box essentially. If anyone got any response from that email please share your experience. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does Royal Caribbean deny Russian passport holders to board? Is this written somewhere on their website? What kind of law is that they follow? Why do they allow Russian passport holders to proceed with booking then? Do they reimburse the full cost after denial on the basis of nationality? Sounds like a straightforward discrimination. 

• 2 months later...
On 12/5/2022 at 10:51 AM, drwingy said:

We got a similar notification for a sailing next year. They ask to provide documents over email. This is an incredibly vulnerable communication channel for such sensitive documents (permanent resident ID (aka green card) and driver's license/state ID), between they two docs they have every piece of legally protected PII except a SSN, well enough for identity theft if email gets compromised. Did you just send scans as attachments? I am not comfortable doing it, to be honest... I emailed the address they provided for docs and inquired about a more secure way e.g. uploading the documents, but never heard back. I called the number provided in the letter too, and the employee I talked to told me that the team managing that email address does not respond to emails, they operate like a black box essentially. If anyone got any response from that email please share your experience. 

Hi there, I have the same concern about it. Did you get it resolved? Will appreciate your insight

We're in the same boat. When we  booked a cruise and paid the full amount it was not a problem. When we got Visa and bought airline tickets it was fine. 3 months till the cruise it's immediately started to be an issue (exactly on my birthday) and we received the similar email. What a wonderful gift from Royal Caribbean! We replied immediately but no answer yet.

• 3 months later...

Can someone update me please. We booked a trip for 7 people, payed in full and got this email. My father has green card , mother just got approved didn’t enter Us yet. What proof of residency they need?US? Russia? Called them 3 times nobody has answers, sent several emails, also nothing. Will they let us on a cruise?

• 2 months later...

I received the sanctions notification on November 10th (via my travel agent) for my mother in law who is a Russian citizen with a US green card.

I replied the same day with the reservation number, her name, our US address (she lives with us) and a scan of her Russian passport and US green card (to royalgsr at rccl.com), and on November 15th I received an email back saying:

"We have received sufficient documentation for Trade Sanctions Requirements and have cleared the reservation for Trade Sanctions purposes. 

Please note Trade Sanctions documentation is required to sail, however standard Visa and passport requirements may exist for the sailing depending on the itinerary and are independent of the Trade Sanctions requirements. For specific requirements consult with a Visa service or local consulates to verify document requirements for the sailing.

Have a Royally Wonderful Day."

So based on my experience, I suggest sending the documentation back and not worrying too much about it.