Bringing soda onboard

• SpeedNoodles changed the title to Bringing soda onboard

Looks like a good thread to ask this one:

I've never brought soft drinks or water on board before...Just not worth the hassle...

On Celebrity and Princess, I always have the unlimited drink packages...so no need.

Last couple of Royal cruises, I've bought my wife the "Water package"--12 CANS of water in the cabin.  And there's the problem:  Cans suck...Can't just screw a cap on like with a bottle...really bad when taking a water into port with you.

So, my thought is to forget the water package and just bring along a bunch of small water bottles (my wife insists on bottled water...no tap).

So, here's the question:  If I pack those bottles in my checked luggage, will Royal Caribbean somehow flag the luggage and send it to the "naughty room" until I show up to show them it's just water...and I'm not smuggling tequila or rum?

29 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

So, here's the question:  If I pack those bottles in my checked luggage, will Royal Caribbean somehow flag the luggage and send it to the "naughty room" until I show up to show them it's just water...and I'm not smuggling tequila or rum?

Yes, you do run the risk of your checked luggage getting held.

Policy also states non-alcoholic beverages are to be carried on.

16 hours ago, Swar said:

Many times, my wife and I both carry on our own 12 packs. Only been questioned one time about it. I had put all 24 cans in a single carry on. Luckily, we actually had two staterooms on that particular cruise.

I was wondering about this.  There will be four of us in a stateroom. I drink Diet Mountain Dew so would like to carry those. I would like to be able to bring something else for my husband and son. Would it be a problem if I carry on one 12 pack and my husband brings on another?

16 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

I've never brought soft drinks or water on board before...Just not worth the hassle...

On Celebrity and Princess, I always have the unlimited drink packages...so no need.

Last couple of Royal cruises, I've bought my wife the "Water package"--12 CANS of water in the cabin.  And there's the problem:  Cans suck...Can't just screw a cap on like with a bottle...really bad when taking a water into port with you.

So, my thought is to forget the water package and just bring along a bunch of small water bottles (my wife insists on bottled water...no tap).

If...they see it they might hold it. Just carry it you when you walk through security and you'll be good to go.

54 minutes ago, Ideb said:

I was wondering about this.  There will be four of us in a stateroom. I drink Diet Mountain Dew so would like to carry those. I would like to be able to bring something else for my husband and son. Would it be a problem if I carry on one 12 pack and my husband brings on another?

The policy is 12 up to 17 ounces per stateroom. It's in the FAQ. How strict they are in enforcement depends. You can risk it but you might get someone who takes their job way too seriously. Anyone telling you it'll be fine isn't going to be there with you when you embark. I can tell you they do check as recently as Jan on my cruise. They inspected my bottles individually in January but my other cruise a few months later they just did the x-ray.

By the way, they don't have to be the same drinks or packaged together. You can mix and match.

18 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Tell her to bring a re-usable water bottle on board and have it filled at the bar or soda machines before leaving the ship for a port. That way she still gets cold, filtered water, not directly from the tap (although the tap water on the ship is filtered and cleaner than just about any water you can get) and  you don't have to worry about carrying all those bottles or paying for a package. 

3 hours ago, Ideb said:

I’ve never seen security match bags to passengers (cabins). Security has no idea what your own cabin situation is.  If your carryon bag contained sodas that exceeded the maximum allowance than it stands the risk of being pulled and items removed. 

4 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

I’ve never seen security match bags to passengers (cabins). Security has no idea what your own cabin situation is.  If your carryon bag contained sodas that exceeded the maximum allowance than it stands the risk of being pulled and items removed. 

Okay, I thought maybe they would check boarding passes. It sounds like it won't be a problem then.