Boarding questions

You can carry your baggage on.  As mentioned you will go through a typical security screening and have to keep your bags with you until the rooms are ready.  There are a couple of caveats to that process.  

- We have done quite a few ports but not Bayonne and the rumor is the porter system there might not be what you see at other ports.  Hopefully folks that use that port can explain.

- If you have "The Key" you will have a bag drop location after boarding 

- Suites rooms on the Oasis class can be ready a little earlier, at least the ones up on deck 17. 

- Star Class has a dedicated porter system.  It seems to have changed a little post COVID and a couple weeks ago at Port Everglades the process was to drop the bags at the Star banner.  The porters took them to meet you in the room later, similar to other areas, except they still essentially follow you on to the ship as they were brought right up. 

15 minutes ago, ScooterScott22 said:

- We have done quite a few ports but not Bayonne and the rumor is the porter system there might not be what you see at other ports.  Hopefully folks that use that port can explain.

- If you have "The Key" you will have a bag drop location after boarding 

I've been through Bayonne a dozen times this year.  What is the rumor about the porter system, perhaps I have an answer.

As for "The Key"-(not directed at Scooter)  yes, you can do a bag drop and your bags are delivered to your cabin fairly immediately.  However, if you have valuables they do advise you to keep them with you.  I thought I was going to be able to unload my carryon at The Key but the things I did not want lost between in the porter system were in there -including my good camera, so I decided to keep it with me.

14 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

I've been through Bayonne a dozen times this year.  What is the rumor about the porter system, perhaps I have an answer.

Thanks for the info no the Key, we have not used it so I only know that there is a bag drop.  

As for my comment on the porters, they rumor is they are organized, unlike at many other locals, and are more efficient and really do not let checked bags get by them.   

The porters at Bayonne are unionized Longshoremen.  They are very strict about who can touch your bags and who cannot.  For example, when we sailed out of Bayonne in Star Class, we insisted that our bags remain with us rather than being handled separately.  It turned out to be a very complicated process.  One set of handlers did the screening (and OBTW, even our biggest roller bag and the folding valet suitcase fit through the screening machine.  Barely, but they did fit), another set of handlers took the luggage from the screening area to the elevator that went to the ship and shipboard porters had to come and take the luggage onto the ship.  Maybe this is the process that the bags always go through, but b/c we don't stay with the luggage, we had never seen the entire process before.  I don't know....I can only comment on what we experienced.

Another time at Bayonne (we weren't SC on that cruise), we had our luggage tags cut off the luggage and it was "lost" for a period of time (recovered on the ship a couple of days later).  I know for sure that those tags did not "fall off" b/c they were fastened with steel bands.  No way they fell off.  I can only guess that the porter thought that I had dissed him and not tipped (I had tipped one of the other porters but I guess he wanted a personal tip).  Anyway....Bayonne can be different from the other ports.  Not bad, just different.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Another time at Bayonne (we weren't SC on that cruise), we had our luggage tags cut off the luggage and it was "lost" for a period of time (recovered on the ship a couple of days later).  I know for sure that those tags did not "fall off" b/c they were fastened with steel bands.  No way they fell off.  I can only guess that the porter thought that I had dissed him and not tipped (I had tipped one of the other porters but I guess he wanted a personal tip).  Anyway....Bayonne can be different from the other ports.  Not bad, just different.

WOW.  It seems every cruise I take there is the notice "a piece of luggage is still missing, please check your stateroom for luggage that may not belong to you".....I always wondered if it was the porters "getting even".  Unfortunately this has happened on my cruises in Florida and my most recent one in Europe where everyone says tipping is not necessary....well this NY girl tipped the luggage handlers in Europe!  I'm sorry that happened to you, I always try to believe it is the people who staple paper tags around the handle whose luggage is getting lost.  Now I know, if there is more than handler to have extra insurance (tip) money ready.