Travails of a newbie making reservations

jce2

O.K. so I ignored advice (dumb) and booked my reservation on-line (sorta).  For starters there a number of technical glitches with the reservation process.  As a software developer of 35 years I pay attention to this sort of stuff and most of it is "repeatable".  For example, we tried to reserve three rooms.  The software then randomly placed our rooms on 3 different decks. No biggie....so far. next came the panels where they ask for passenger info for each room.  Notice on the right side of page it shows the room assignment for the room your are currently assigning people to.  It includes an "edit" button that supposedly will let you change your room assignment .......DONT DO IT!!!  It will look like all is well..but when you finish entering the last passenger, instead of moving on to the next step in the reservation it kicks you all the way out to the cruise selection screen and all your work is lost!  Wait to edit the rooms until you are past the initial passenger info screens.

In any event, after wrestling with it (took a good 6 tries), I finally had everything as I wanted it and paid.  Success!!!!....oh wait!  My date somehow is wrong (admittedly that might have been my fault after 6 tries).  No need to panic. Called RC and talked to a very nice man who worked to move us to the right day.....but right in the middle of reassigning our first room, his phone disconnected.  I know it was on his end because my call timer continued to increment.  So...call again!  This time things went very well and at long last I had my reservations, rooms I was happy with etc.

So time to explore "Cruise Planner".  God news!  Excursions seem to be there!  ...Bad news...dining is not.  Worked my way thru booking one excursion just to see the process and confirm we can use different credit cards.  Looks good!  Now how about......Wait...what suddenly happened?? It wants my logon info again.  Okay, type it in....hit enter....What? It throws me to the customer support screen.  Make several more attempts before giving up for the night. Sigh.......now about the TA.......

So I couldnt leave well enough alone and finally was able to log back into the planner.  Cool feature....that excursion I played with but never finished with payment shows up on "My Calendar" but is patterned so I know its not paid for and conveniently  includes a checkout button.  It looks like for now my Janauy 7th cruise is accepting shore excursions and spa treatments but not dining, activities, entertainment etc.

Sounds about right based on a lot of people's experiences with the booking engine on RCI....

I haven't booked a cruise on there since they took away the free 24hr holds they used to offer.

Too many other sites out there that work better and offer better perks and price's......

Just to be clear though, if you wish to book on a website for RC, you can only do it on their official site, right? That or through an agency? 

No..you can book on MANY different sites....each may offer better pricing or perks.

I learned that the hard way..after MANY cruises with RCI and paying full price on their own site with little or no OBC, and then talking to ppl who paid way less and had more perks I caught on. Haven't booked with them since. The final straw was no longer giving us 24hrs to hold something while I tried to make arrangements with work and flights etc before committing to the cruise. Once they did away with that , there was NO advantage left in my mind to booking with them.

No..you can book on MANY different sites....each may offer better pricing or perks.

I learned that the hard way..after MANY cruises with RCI and paying full price on their own site with little or no OBC, and then talking to ppl who paid way less and had more perks I caught on. Haven't booked with them since. The final straw was no longer giving us 24hrs to hold something while I tried to make arrangements with work and flights etc before committing to the cruise. Once they did away with that , there was NO advantage left in my mind to booking with them.

I would love to take a look at those sites, any recommandation ?