Deluxe Beverage package- - 20% off doesn't add up?

JenL11

I received an email saying that the deluxe beverage package is on sale this weekend 'up to 30% off'.  When I click on it for my cruise (Anthem of the Seas, NJ to Bahamas, March), it says price is $48 which is 20% off.  I thought the deluxe package was normally $55. If $48 is 20% off, then the price was jacked up to $60.  Does RC play around with prices like this? I swear full price was $55 last week or so.

Yes they do play around with the pricing. A sale rarely ends up with any real cost saving. Not always but most of the time. The more you deal with them, the more you will see this happening. Still pays to check for a saving on any new promotion but you get used to not seeing much if anything.

The base price of deluxe drink package varies from ship to ship, and even sailing to sailing.  To that point, it's difficult to find a listed price for the drink package on any literature RC puts out. So that partially explains how "20% off" seems to wildly vary.

I treat it the same, regardless: I estimate how much I will drink on a given cruise, using generous restaurant drink pricing. If my total indicates the drink package will save me money, I'm in. If it doesn't, I buy the drinks as I go. Incidentally, since my wife and I enjoy the art auctions on sea days, we always can factor that in with the free "inexpensive" champagne they provide.Royal Caribbean can jack with the prices all they want: My spreadsheet never lies.

The only positive sale that I thought was worth it was the deluxe drink package with zoom for one device which came to $49 per day. Funny thing was that it was CHEAPER than when I had purchased the drink package for $48 dollars per day because when I got charged for gratuity, they seemed to have subtracted the cost of the zoom and then based it on that price. That was during their black friday sale. 

The only positive sale that I thought was worth it was the deluxe drink package with zoom for one device which came to $49 per day. Funny thing was that it was CHEAPER than when I had purchased the drink package for $48 dollars per day because when I got charged for gratuity, they seemed to have subtracted the cost of the zoom and then based it on that price. That was during their black friday sale.

I agree. I purchased the same and experienced the same pricing. The voom package won't do much for me but when it was basically thrown in for free with the deluxe bev that I was going to purchase anyway, I jumped and bought it.

I am sure they also use demand pricing to determine what to adjust the final price to, its all so much easier when there are no published price lists though ;)

Absolutely. Also, the new ships have higher prices for the dink package (on average).  Premium experience and whatnot.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree. I purchased the same and experienced the same pricing. The voom package won't do much for me but when it was basically thrown in for free with the deluxe bev that I was going to purchase anyway, I jumped and bought it.

I did the same, I even called to make sure it was on the up and up because it didn't make any sense that the sip and stream was cheaper that just the drink package.

• 1 year later...