Navigator of the Seas - Windjammer Dinner Selections

marti314

Heading on the Navigator in about a month doing the 9 night ABC islands.  I have always told myself i should try the Windjammer for dinner more often but between MDR and Specialty dining I never end up eating a full dinner at Windjammer (Just Pre-Dinner usually).  After seeing some other folks post windjammer dinner pics from Brilliance, Adventure and even Lobster / Crab Legs on Liberty it made me think i need to try to eat up there more often, if nothing else for the variety.

Can anyone comment on Navigator, specifically the options in the Windjammer at dinner?

Windjammers across the fleet typically have quite a lot of variety at dinner.  There's also usually some sort of cooking station (near the back), where they offer a different specialty dish/cuisine each night.  Examples are Asian stir fry or pasta bake station.

I have a hard time talking my wife into the windjammer for dinner.  She really like the MDR.  We do go once or twice during a cruise but its like pulling teeth.  I like the variety and the fact I don't have to sit for 2 hours and lets face it, I'm not a people person....

Arebee, I'm afraid I side with your wife on this one.  Whether it's fair or not, I just do not like the buffet format.  Maybe it's a "girl" thing.  I don't like food that others have picked through and I don't like having to serve myself so I always consider it a great cruise if I never step foot inside the WJ.  I also hate fighting for a seat and it seems like I always have to hunt for a seat when I go in there.  I just prefer having someone save me the hassle !

Guest toodle68

One of the things I love about MDR is it is an experience. We are generally there for 90 minutes.  If we just want to stuff down a load of food and be out of there in 20 minutes, then windjammer is king! :)   However, it can be hard to resist such a huge selection if you love food..

Maybe ill just have to live through the photos of others from the Windjammer.  I wish they published a "Tonights Feature" menu from the windjammer so you could decide if the MDR sounds better or not.  I guess if they started to publish crab legs and lobster in the windjammer the MDR might be empty.  :)

Maybe ill just have to live through the photos of others from the Windjammer.  I wish they published a "Tonights Feature" menu from the windjammer so you could decide if the MDR sounds better or not.  I guess if they started to publish crab legs and lobster in the windjammer the MDR might be empty.   :)

One strategy is "pre-dinner".  If you have second seating in MDR, you go up to Windjammer when they open for dinner around 6 for a look around and if there's something that looks good, you have an appetizer sized portion of it.  I do this all the time because

1. I'm hungry
  2. I get to sample some of the unique food available there, like curry
  3. I'm hungry

Arebee, I'm afraid I side with your wife on this one.  Whether it's fair or not, I just do not like the buffet format.  Maybe it's a "girl" thing.  I don't like food that others have picked through and I don't like having to serve myself so I always consider it a great cruise if I never step foot inside the WJ.  I also hate fighting for a seat and it seems like I always have to hunt for a seat when I go in there.  I just prefer having someone save me the hassle !

That doesn't bother me as much as someone who goes behind closed doors and brings my food out... Like the song goes, no one knows what goes on behind closed doors...

It all depends on what we are doing with our evening really and we use both MDR or the Windjammer.

Of course there is Chops Grille which we book into as well as the Portofino on some nights.

If we pay a visit to Johnny Rockets we don't use any of them as we are generally full for the rest of that day!

One strategy is "pre-dinner".  If you have second seating in MDR, you go up to Windjammer when they open for dinner around 6 for a look around and if there's something that looks good, you have an appetizer sized portion of it.  I do this all the time because

1. I'm hungry
  3. I'm hungry

Sounds like you're a growing boy, Matt!

• 4 weeks later...

1. I'm hungry
  3. I'm hungry

How often do they have Indian food on the Windjammer?  What kinds of curries?

That's the only thing that got my wife interested in going on our upcoming cruise.  Other than that I felt like the Schwartzenagger character from the movie Total Recall who was trying to get his wife to go on a Mars vacation!

How often do they have Indian food on the Windjammer?  What kinds of curries?

On my recent Navigator of the Seas cruise last week curry was available everyday for dinner.  Most days for lunch.  On our sailing, there was a breakfast curry every day (that's the first RC ship I have ever seen that).

I can recall a bunch of curries, and I'm sure Billy can add to this list

• Vegetable curry
  • Lamb curry
  • Chicken curry
  • Aloo channa curry 
  • Channa curry
  • Potato curry

It was amazing.

On my recent Navigator of the Seas cruise last week curry was available everyday for dinner.  Most days for lunch.  On our sailing, there was a breakfast curry every day (that's the first RC ship I have ever seen that).

I can recall a bunch of curries, and I'm sure Billy can add to this list

• Vegetable curry
  • Lamb curry
  • Chicken curry
  • Aloo channa curry 
  • Channa curry
  • Potato curry

It was amazing.

This is good news, they cant change too much in two weeks time as I leave on the same 9 night on March 17.

What in (insert name of preferred deity here) is a breakfast curry?!?!?

It was essentially a potato based curry.  What made it good for breakfast and not other meals?  Your guess is as good as mine, but it was really good and quite spicy!

On my cruise on Navigator....we only ate in the Windjammer for supper's.....crazy I know, never even made it to the MDR once on our cruise.

I would have liked to at least once, but I can tell you that the food in the Windjammer for supper was great......and the Indian selection was good every night and tasted amazing! I never missed the MDR for the food, just the experience.

On my cruise on Navigator....we only ate in the Windjammer for supper's.....crazy I know, never even made it to the MDR once on our cruise.

I would have liked to at least once, but I can tell you that the food in the Windjammer for supper was great......and the Indian selection was good every night and tasted amazing! I never missed the MDR for the food, just the experience.

Not crazy at all. We did this once on a short cruise and we never stepped foot into the dining room even once. In the Baltics, we had half of our meals in specialty restaurants for dinner and the other half in the WJ as the food simply wasn't up to par in the MDR that sailing, but the WJ under Chef Joseph was AMAZING!!!

Yeah, it was a 5 nighter....the first night I never hit the MDR, as I am having too much fun on the pool deck with drinks.

Then the 2 days we were in port it was too rushed.

Also, have a 5:30 time was a little too early for me...6:30 is perfect.....the 8pm is too late for me so it just didn't work out.

But I never went hungry and we both commented that the food was mazing in the WJ....had to stop ourselves from overeating there!