Royal Caribbean Credit Card

Guest toodle68

Guest toodle68

Anyone have one?  Reading through the notes, it's 17,500 for getting and using a new card. Then 2 points for every dollar you spend on RC items. I assume like paying for the cruise.  

What I can't work out is if you can redeem the points you have to pay for part of the cruise. There is a lot of info on upgrades etc.. but if I have 50,000 points, can I use that ($500) to pay for the next cruise?

Not sure if it is worth it.. I get points on my Cap One card which I then use to erase travel purchases.. but the 2 points for each dollar spent on the cruise cost and excursions might be worth it..?

I don't have the RC credit card, primarily because I like my other cards, which offer cash back (or points) that can more generally used. While I do cruise often, there are so many other things out there that cash back makes more sense to pay for.  Plus, you can argue about how good/bad the RC credit card rewards actually are.

If you're bored, ask MonorailMedic to regail you with his views on credit cards. It's the closest thing to stories from the "old country" this generation has.

I can spend a lot of time talking about this, but I'm about to head to the airport, so to Matt's delight everyone get's the short version:

The RC branded Visa isn't an inherently bad card, but if you like to travel, and you spend money on travel, there are *far* better cards to get.  Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) or Preferred, AmEx Platinum or Gold, CapOne Venture, etc.

I use largely Chase products for this (though I have others).  For travel and dining I get 3 points to the dollar on CSR, for rotating bonus categories I get 5 points to the dollar om Freedom, for all else I can get 1.5 points to the dollar on Freedom Unlimited.  But, in addition to lounge access, many trip and purchase protection items, primary rental coverage, hotel perks, etc - I also use the CSR to make all the mentioned points worth 1.5x as much (if spent on travel).  In that way I get 4.5% on travel and dining, 7.5% on various bonus categories, and a minimum of 2.25% on everything else.  Yes, the CSR has a hefty fee, but they do many things to quickly offset it ($300 auomatic travel credit, GE/PreCheck reimbursement, the other mentioned benefits, and more).

That in mind, everyone finds their own stride in the points game.  Do a search on "churning" and you'll see the possibilities here (many people take it to an extreme, I tend to keep it simple).

Guest toodle68

Thanks all for the info..  I think since my Cap One Venture card gives me 2 miles for each dollar, I'll just stick with that. It seems in regards to paying for trips it has the same benefits, and I really really hate having multiple credit cards.

If you have good credit and don't mind the hit, its worth signing up for, charging $1 to get the $100 worth of bonus points and then never using it again ;) But as stated by others as a primary use card, there are better options.

Following that strategy, there are other credit cards that offer arguably better sign up bonuses too.  All depends what is important to you.

True there are better bonuses but most of them involve making thousands of dollars of purchases, for a $1 purchase you can get $100 off on RCI or if you and your spouse sign up for separate cards for $2 you get $200.

I also look at and take advantage of other cards as well, just saying if you aren't worried about the impact on your credit and plan to cruise RCI, investing a few minutes on applications and a buck or two in purchases to get the sign-up reward is worth it.

Using it as your primary card on an ongoing basis for the rewards, not really .. there are better cards for that.

• 5 weeks later...