Gratuities for the room attendant

• Safemike1 changed the title to Gratuities for the room attendant

The Gratuities cover everyone on the ship that should be taken care of.  With that said I have cruised with my son.  I always tipped extra at the begging of the cruise and apologized for the messes that my son was going to make while I was out.  Now that I cruise solo, I tip extra at the beginning of the cruise out of habit and knowing i will be taken care of.

I start out with the intent of giving the steward $20.00 per person in the room.  It goes up or down from there.  Fortunately, it's always gone up.  I've always had amazing stewards.  I praise them everyday and I think I treat them well on debarkation day.  

Servers in the bars, I always give them a $2.00 bill.  A 18% gratuity is already added on to the drink cost.  So, the $2.00 bill is just my way of showing a little uniqueness and a little extra appreciation for good service.  Servers in the specialty restaurants get what I believe is 20% of what the meal would have cost in a comparable restaurant off of the ship.  The MDR servers get a flat $20.00, again goes up or down, depending on service.

11 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

FYI, we were talking with a Malaysian server who said she doesn't like the $2 bills because she can't take them home with her because banks there won't exchange them. 

I've had nothing but smiles and "thank yous" for them.  I don't doubt it, though.  But, they can always use them when they go on "Shore Leave" or just save them.  

This custom of mine may be coming to an end though.  It's getting harder and harder to find a bank that is willing to get $2.00 bills, two or three hundred dollars worth of them.