Last minute cabin changes

I would like to file a complaint.  I scheduled this Family cruise for my existing and soon to be new family last year (2021).  I specifically booked adjoining rooms for my daughter, her two daughters, my future son-in-law and my future granddaughter.  I also booked myself, husband and grandson in a room in close proximity to his mom and two sisters and I also booked a room for my son, his wife and 3 year old grandson close to my room as I will be helping with watching him so they can enjoy some night shows, etc.  RCCL has decided to change the rooms.  While I appreciate being upgraded to 3 balcony rooms, we would rather stick with what I had originally scheduled.  How can RCCL do this 2 weeks before we sail.  The 3 teenage girls (who will shortly be step-sisters) want to be in rooms close to each other.  RCCL has moved my daughter to room 10196 while leaving my soon to be new family members on the 7th deck.  My son, who I will be helping with the 3 year old, is now on the 6th floor while I am in 10200.  Please help me understand how RCCL can arbitrarily move us without taking into consideration the planning I did on the phone with RCCL.  We are also celebrating my son's 40th birthday as well as my daughter's recent engagement.  I have never had a cruise line do something like this.

40 minutes ago, Deanne Weindel said:

I would like to file a complaint.  I scheduled this Family cruise for my existing and soon to be new family last year (2021).  I specifically booked adjoining rooms for my daughter, her two daughters, my future son-in-law and my future granddaughter.  I also booked myself, husband and grandson in a room in close proximity to his mom and two sisters and I also booked a room for my son, his wife and 3 year old grandson close to my room as I will be helping with watching him so they can enjoy some night shows, etc.  RCCL has decided to change the rooms.  While I appreciate being upgraded to 3 balcony rooms, we would rather stick with what I had originally scheduled.  How can RCCL do this 2 weeks before we sail.  The 3 teenage girls (who will shortly be step-sisters) want to be in rooms close to each other.  RCCL has moved my daughter to room 10196 while leaving my soon to be new family members on the 7th deck.  My son, who I will be helping with the 3 year old, is now on the 6th floor while I am in 10200.  Please help me understand how RCCL can arbitrarily move us without taking into consideration the planning I did on the phone with RCCL.  We are also celebrating my son's 40th birthday as well as my daughter's recent engagement.  I have never had a cruise line do something like this.

While I suspect that OP will not return, I’m sure somewhere in the fine print of the cruise agreement that rooms can be changed at anytime and appropriate compensation provided. In this case, it appears that the rooms were upgraded so that’s the compensation. Without all the details, I can only recommend again that you use a good travel agent who could stay in front of these types of thing and ensure reservations are linked and such to prevent splitting apart.  Good luck!

15 minutes ago, Reigert2008 said:

While I suspect that OP will not return, I’m sure somewhere in the fine print of the cruise agreement that rooms can be changed at anytime and appropriate compensation provided. In this case, it appears that the rooms were upgraded so that’s the compensation. Without all the details, I can only recommend again that you use a good travel agent who could stay in front of these types of thing and ensure reservations are linked and such to prevent splitting apart.  Good luck!

Not a lawyer, but I suspect this section of the cruise contract from December 2021 allows for the room change, where it says lodging or any activity on or off the vessel.

7. CANCELLATION, DEVIATION OR SUBSTITUTION BY CARRIER:
a. Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled
sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call,
destination, lodging or activity

Yes, RC has the right to move you per the contract.  My advise would be to call back and get a different agent who might be able to help. Before complaining, ask as nicely as possible to be placed near again.

This happened to me on a February sailing when my family of 5 in connecting balcony rooms were moved to opposite ends of the ship 2 weeks before sailing.  My travel agent's first 3 hour call to RC left us with a "there's nothing we can do" response.  Later, when her supervisor called back and got another agent, RC righted the matter and found us connecting balcony rooms in a different location.  Sometimes it's about who you speak to and how polite/persuasive you can be. We wound up having a wonderful cruise.

I understand this is disappointing, but can you make it work with the way it is? Honestly for my family while we love and cherish each other,  I personally would NEVER want to sail in such close proximity. (yikes!) 

I mean if the OP just can't make it work and will be miserable it looks like this reservation may fall under the CWC program. Cancel (but call to cancel & maybe they will find a solution because they don't want you to cancel) but if not cancel under CWC & call MEI STAT! Have them book another sailing for you linking the reservations.

I am so sorry you are frustrated , can you turn it around? I wish for you an agreeable outcome. It sounds like it has the makings of a wonderful family trip. Good Luck!

And as an aside, once on the ship you can change cabins to possibly make it easier, assigned on deck 10? You can move to daughters room on 7, she can move to deck 6, another family member can go to 10. Can you make that work? 

Below is me hiding when my family comes knocking on my cabin door! 

hide GIF

26 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I think they have the over 21s spread out among the different rooms so it doesn't apply in their case.

I was wondering because it really limits you on what you can do. Like I can't apply for any upgrades because we would never be side by side.

1 hour ago, Ja-sun said:

I was wondering because it really limits you on what you can do. Like I can't apply for any upgrades because we would never be side by side.

If you want to stay side by side, no, you can't apply for upgrades.  But if you don't care, Royal Up is run by a third party and treats every room independently.  If you get an upgrade from them, it's not clear that they would actually check whether moving you would break the normal booking rules.  Even less clear is whether Royal would notice when you check in to board the ship.  Once on board, they definitely don't care who sleeps where.

20 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

If you want to stay side by side, no, you can't apply for upgrades.  But if you don't care, Royal Up is run by a third party and treats every room independently.  If you get an upgrade from them, it's not clear that they would actually check whether moving you would break the normal booking rules.  Even less clear is whether Royal would notice when you check in to board the ship.  Once on board, they definitely don't care who sleeps where.

I was wondering about that. If Royal really looked into whether the rooms were side by side once the cruise day is finally here.