Gold - Departure Lounge?

ckelgo

hi, all.  I just saw this as a reinstated benefit and would love to know what it means exactly:

- Private Departure Lounge and Continental Breakfast (Gold and above)

I'm fairly new to the cruise world (been on a few but always with a big group for an event) - this time I'm taking my husband and 2 young sons.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

1 hour ago, ckelgo said:

hi, all.  I just saw this as a reinstated benefit and would love to know what it means exactly:

- Private Departure Lounge and Continental Breakfast (Gold and above)

I'm fairly new to the cruise world (been on a few but always with a big group for an event) - this time I'm taking my husband and 2 young sons.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

The departure lounges are almost worthless perks even for suite guests and high ranking loyalty members because most people arrive at the terminal AFTER the ship has started boarding.  If the ship is open, you check in and just get on the ship where you can get start getting all the food and drink you want.  However, if you check in BEFORE the ship starts boarding, then yes, you can go to the departure lounge and get something but you won't be there long because they don't start check in until they are almost ready for boarding to start!

This perk is even less useful since cruising restarted because they are assigning and enforcing arrival times.  So now, you also need to get one of the earliest arrival times or this perk doesn't matter.

28 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Departure lounges are when you DEPART the ship not embark.

The give away is “continental breakfast”.  They don’t serve that for boarding. 😉

I do miss the coconut cookies while waiting for the ship to start boarding in the suite area though. I may have been seen walking onboard with two or three in my hand once or twice. 

Cookie Monster Eating GIF by Sesame Street

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

Departure lounges are when you DEPART the ship not embark.

The give away is “continental breakfast”.  They don’t serve that for boarding. 😉

This is correct. Honestly, I actually preferred how disembarkation has been handled most recently; You just wait in your cabin until your group number is called.

We went to Two70 Café, grabbed some breakfast and one last specialty coffee and ate on our balcony before it was time to leave. It was much less hectic than gathering a large group of people somewhere else on the ship and then crowding them out to the gangway when the number was called.

1 hour ago, SPS said:

This is correct. Honestly, I actually preferred how disembarkation has been handled most recently; You just wait in your cabin until your group number is called.

We went to Two70 Café, grabbed some breakfast and one last specialty coffee and ate on our balcony before it was time to leave. It was much less hectic than gathering a large group of people somewhere else on the ship and then crowding them out to the gangway when the number was called.

This is one of the changes/adjustments I hope they keep.