Emed-Navica Problems

Our first round of tests for Jan '22 cruise was not easy. Our Emed proctor had a strong accent and spoke so fast that we only caught about every third word of the instructions. Then came the camera issues. Emed, or the Navica app, controlled the camera. We had no control over it. They asked to see items during the test but they turned on the opposite camera. At one point they wanted to see the test flat on the table. They turned on the camera facing the ceiling. We flipped the phone over but then we had no idea what the camera was, or wasn't, showing them because we could no longer see the screen. For our next round of tests we are going to try using the laptop to see if we can eliminate the camera flipping fiasco. Has anyone else had this problem and then had success with the laptop method? Advice would be appreciated. We can't afford to screw up any of these tests. Our remaining 2 cruises will complete our Jan-April cruise season of 5 cruises and take us from Gold to Diamond due to the 2x Points Program. Sail On!

Edited by Firephotog51

Haven't had much of an issue and have had to deal with the camera flipping.  Sometimes they switch to the back camera and sometimes the front.  Having another person hold the phone makes it a lot easier to deal with though as then you can look at the screen when it's facing you and reposition the other person as needed.  With a laptop and the built in camera you will be stuck trying to hold stuff up and make adjustments to it.  If I REALLY wanted to have something to use a single camera it would be a desktop with a USB camera so that I can hold it up and set it down however I like.  Plus some laptops are designed with a built in "flip" so that you will see text backwards, that will likely wreak havoc with barcode scanning so keep that in mind.

20 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

I recommend having a 2nd person to hold the phone while doing the test. Having said that, I found the proctors to be patient.

Yep and if you are having an issue where you can't understand them you can always just end the call and try someone else.

We had an issue with camera flipping on the iPad. Used our desktop with camera mounted on top of monitor and no problems at all.

We will use desktop when we can. Come October if we still have to have negative test from Europe to get back to US, one will hold the phone while the other tests.