Uniform policy on comp. for cancelled ports?

AAD

We are scheduled for 12/31 Symphony... I know that RC is not contractually obligated to refund or comp. for cancelled ports/change of itinerary but is anyone seeing any uniformity in what is being offered for cancelled stops, etc.?  Who makes the decision?  I saw that Neesa got a great deal on Odyssey for 2-3 missed ports, but then Gus on Allure appeared not to get the same deal for 2 missed ports...  I don't want to cancel but would just like the same deal if we end up on a cruise to nowhere... 

Just to reply to the question on compensation for our missed ports.

It is true the Allure Xmas cruise missed 2 ports St Thomas and St Kitts.  BUT they added a port stop at Coco Cay.  So in reality we only have one (1) missed port, the other was substituted for.

I believe the compensation was equivalent, for missing a port we were refunded 1 days cruise fair, that is base fare. We still paid gratuities (fair we were onboard)

Personal opinion, but Coco Cay was an upgrade for a port stop.

I do though understand a first or even 2nd 3rd time cruiser that wanted to stop at the missed ports being disappointed.  But as a seasoned Caribbean cruise it didn't bother me in the least.  Shows all still running.

Just thinking back about 5 years ago on one of our cruises we had to miss a port for some reason or another and I believe then they also refunded us a cruise day cost.

I'm not positive, but I believe they are contractually obligated to refund you the port fees you were charged for any missed ports. I've been on cruises where the announcement of that gets worded as "You'll be getting OBC for the day." I think most on these forums are savvy enough to recognize when they are getting port fees returned, and when they are getting cruise fare returned; but just something to keep in mind when you hear random people talking about the refund they got when they missed a port... often times it's just their port fees.

57 minutes ago, Tolkmit said:

I'm not positive, but I believe they are contractually obligated to refund you the port fees you were charged for any missed ports. I've been on cruises where the announcement of that gets worded as "You'll be getting OBC for the day." I think most on these forums are savvy enough to recognize when they are getting port fees returned, and when they are getting cruise fare returned; but just something to keep in mind when you hear random people talking about the refund they got when they missed a port... often times it's just their port fees.

They are not "contractually" obligated to refund port fees.  Port fees are estimated based on projected loads.  Secondly the vast majority of ports fees covers the US ports that ships sail from.  All those unionized dock workers and US pilots in the home ports don't come cheap.  The bulk of all Caribbean ports fees are incurred right here in the USA at the home port.  Cancelling a foreign port where the actual port fees might be a $5 or $8 head charge is a minor part of the fees charged.

The exception is San Juan where the 3rd party San Juan hired to run the port wants to increase ports fees in San Juan several times over.  That was a recent change that hasn't fully made its way into the pocket book of cruisers, yet.  San Juan sees cruises guests as a cow that needs to be milked.  

We all sign a cruise contract that stipulates ‘itinerary can change at anytime’ so Royal is under no obligation to compensate for lost ports. However, on a case by case basis, they have done so. It helps with loyalty and customer satisfaction. It’s a business decision. Even pre-Covid, ports were cancelled mid-cruise for any number of reasons; weather…high winds…medical emergency causing diversion…port issues. It happens. 
As far as the ‘Covid-cases-onboard’ reasoning goes, just seems a bit unfair that cruises are targeted but other tourism modes are not. How can they justify stopping a cruise ship with fully vaccinated, recently tested passengers from docking. The positive onboard cases and their close contacts have been quarantined and won’t be coming ashore…but they allow unfettered access if you fly in? Not very science-based.

Other than port fees, we've never received any compensation for missed ports, such as Key West, Nassau, or Coco Cay.  Once we were offered a discounted price on the drink of the day, but our bar didn't honor the announcement made by the Cruise Director.  So I wouldn't expect compensation from Royal except for an unusual event, for which the recent ABC cruise clearly qualifies.  I still remain optimistic that things will get better and that years from now we'll be telling stories that begin with "Remember when..."