Excited just does not cover it

Jeff

Hey all,

In 103 days, I am set to travel on my first cruise in nearly 12 years. I feel the anticipation already. The salty air, the cool breezes, the music. I am getting flooded by my memories. Cruising was supposed to be a yearly thing the wife and I had hoped to do. We wanted our kids to see the world. Our first cruise was aboard the Disney Wonder, and boy, was it fun. Being our first time, we decided to send our older boys to spend some time with the grand parents, and took our one year old son with us. He had fun in the nursery, and enjoyed the splash pool. He HATED the ocean, but seemed to really enjoy the characters and the ambiance onboard. My wife and I were hooked, and felt everyone in the family would enjoy the experience. Cruising, however, took a back seat to family expansion, as over the next few years, our crew of 6, with 4 princes, turned into a tribe of 8 complete with 2 princesses. We altered our plans and decided to wait til the girls were a bit older.

Well, if you've read my other posts, you'll know that life changed our plans. Now divorced, and living 3000 plus miles from my children, life got dark for me. I found a podcast called WDW today, and fell in love with the format and with the humor the 4 guys (and sometimes Annette too) delivered. They helped guide me away from the dark. When Matt started this blog and new podcast, I was one of the first to listen. He got me hungry for the open sea again. So much so, that I infected my parents as well, though they don't listen to the podcast.

Mom and Dad have been my shelter and my support for the last few years, and as a thank you, I am taking them on a Bahamas cruise in 103 days. We are on Enchantment of the Seas, in a Grand Suite, and as a thank you, It's my treat for them. They have never cruised before, nor have they been voluntarily out of the country. Dad was overseas during Vietnam. Both are giddy and anxious. I share every detail I gather from the vast knowledge this group has, and from all of us, THANK YOU. Mom's so excited, she reminded me today that in 13 days, we can check-in online.

What they don't know is that in October, maybe early November, I get my kids for an extended visit, and we are all going to go on Oasis. I finally get to fulfill a dream I had, to show my kids the world. I guess it helps when I have a good parenting relationship with their mother, as she had to sign off on their passports. It amazes me, how life can take you on the wildest rollercoaster you can imagine. I'm glad I held on.

As the Pointer Sisters once sang... "I'm so excited...and I just can't hide it..."  and yes, I just dated myself

Thank you all who have reached out and helped me plan, and givien me advice. I truly love you all, and hope to meet everyone one day.

Jeff

Hey all,

In 103 days, I am set to travel on my first cruise in nearly 12 years. I feel the anticipation already. The salty air, the cool breezes, the music. I am getting flooded by my memories. Cruising was supposed to be a yearly thing the wife and I had hoped to do. We wanted our kids to see the world. Our first cruise was aboard the Disney Wonder, and boy, was it fun. Being our first time, we decided to send our older boys to spend some time with the grand parents, and took our one year old son with us. He had fun in the nursery, and enjoyed the splash pool. He HATED the ocean, but seemed to really enjoy the characters and the ambiance onboard. My wife and I were hooked, and felt everyone in the family would enjoy the experience. Cruising, however, took a back seat to family expansion, as over the next few years, our crew of 6, with 4 princes, turned into a tribe of 8 complete with 2 princesses. We altered our plans and decided to wait til the girls were a bit older.

Well, if you've read my other posts, you'll know that life changed our plans. Now divorced, and living 3000 plus miles from my children, life got dark for me. I found a podcast called WDW today, and fell in love with the format and with the humor the 4 guys (and sometimes Annette too) delivered. They helped guide me away from the dark. When Matt started this blog and new podcast, I was one of the first to listen. He got me hungry for the open sea again. So much so, that I infected my parents as well, though they don't listen to the podcast.

Mom and Dad have been my shelter and my support for the last few years, and as a thank you, I am taking them on a Bahamas cruise in 103 days. We are on Enchantment of the Seas, in a Grand Suite, and as a thank you, It's my treat for them. They have never cruised before, nor have they been voluntarily out of the country. Dad was overseas during Vietnam. Both are giddy and anxious. I share every detail I gather from the vast knowledge this group has, and from all of us, THANK YOU. Mom's so excited, she reminded me today that in 13 days, we can check-in online.

What they don't know is that in October, maybe early November, I get my kids for an extended visit, and we are all going to go on Oasis. I finally get to fulfill a dream I had, to show my kids the world. I guess it helps when I have a good parenting relationship with their mother, as she had to sign off on their passports. It amazes me, how life can take you on the wildest rollercoaster you can imagine. I'm glad I held on.

As the Pointer Sisters once sang... "I'm so excited...and I just can't hide it..."  and yes, I just dated myself

Thank you all who have reached out and helped me plan, and givien me advice. I truly love you all, and hope to meet everyone one day.

Jeff

Have an AWESOME time!!!!!

I've been there pal.  I don't know if your divorce was unwanted, but I can tell you, and everyone reading this, that an unwanted divorce is in some ways worse than death.  But, things do get better, as it sound like it has for you.  

My divorce was in 2006, and if you look at my tag line, you'll see that many of my cruises have been in the past 10 years.  I think that Barenaked Ladies Cruise in January of 2007 was where my healing began.  For me, there's something about being on a ship that is magical.  To me, it's great for the soul.

It sounds like you're down the path your new life.  I hope you, your parents, and your children have a great trip(s).

Wow Jeff, I can see why your excited, 12 years is a long time for someone who loves cruising. I'm glad things are looking up and that your getting back on your path.

The common thread in your upcoming cruises is being able to share your love of cruising with family, there's something about sharing the experience that makes it that much more fun.

Soon after I got hooked I took my Dad on a cruise and had a blast, hopefully I can get my Mom and her husband out sometime, it's definitly on my bucket list.

Your Oasis trip will be a big one, it's hard for any kid (or anyone) not to get blown away by that ship, especially if they dont research it beforhand and go on blind.

Enjoy the Enchantment, she's one of my favorites!

Jeff,

I'm so happy for you ....

My hiatus from cruising lasted 7 years, but I'm fortunate enough to have not gone through the hell you've gone through, but I definitely understand how cruising, Matt's Podcast and this site can bring a person back from the cliff...

My divorce was in 1998, then the mother of my youngest and I went our separate ways in 2009 (as the lawyer said, "Thank God you didn't marry that crazy B*&^%" --- Fortunately my daughter is now 17 and she sees how crazy her mother can be.  SHE GETS IT!!

Fast Forward to today, My wife of 3 years and I just went on a 5-nighter to Bermuda back in September (we finally got a honeymoon).  This was her first cruise, AND LOVED IT!!!  The solitude and the ability to go, pretty much, off the grid was very therapeutic.

I'm proof positive that you have to go through Hell to get to Heaven ..... Sounds like you've been through your Hell and Heaven is just right around the corner ......

Well Done Sir.

Mark

Great story, and I am so glad you are not just excited for this cruise, but found the planning to be a great source of happiness for you in your day-to-day life!  Hope you have a great time, especially as you close-in on the double digit countdown!

Matt, as I've said to you before, you may never know just how much you and the guys at WDW Today truly helped me. You guys were my weekly therapy. I hope I can thank you personally one day. Tell ya what... Sabor, on me... Anytime we cruise on the same ship.

Jeff,

I'm so happy for you ....

My hiatus from cruising lasted 7 years, but I'm fortunate enough to have not gone through the hell you've gone through, but I definitely understand how cruising, Matt's Podcast and this site can bring a person back from the cliff...

My divorce was in 1998, then the mother of my youngest and I went our separate ways in 2009 (as the lawyer said, "Thank God you didn't marry that crazy B*&^%" --- Fortunately my daughter is now 17 and she sees how crazy her mother can be.  SHE GETS IT!!

Fast Forward to today, My wife of 3 years and I just went on a 5-nighter to Bermuda back in September (we finally got a honeymoon).  This was her first cruise, AND LOVED IT!!!  The solitude and the ability to go, pretty much, off the grid was very therapeutic.

I'm proof positive that you have to go through Hell to get to Heaven ..... Sounds like you've been through your Hell and Heaven is just right around the corner ......

Well Done Sir.

Mark

Mark, Thank you for this. Very touching

Matt, as I've said to you before, you may never know just how much you and the guys at WDW Today truly helped me. You guys were my weekly therapy. I hope I can thank you personally one day. Tell ya what... Sabor, on me... Anytime we cruise on the same ship.

Your continued participation here on the message boards, podcast, site, etc are all the thanks I need.  We have a wonderful community here, and it is because we have people like yourself in it.

Your continued participation here on the message boards, podcast, site, etc are all the thanks I need. We have a wonderful community here, and it is because we have people like yourself in it.

An offer like free Sabor you hold onto, put it in your pocket. Brandon once said he would buy me a beer, you better belive I'm going to collect.

I share in your excitement. My cruise in 14 days is my first in 10 years. Thankfully I never married him, but when my son (who will be 7 in 2 weeks) was 11 months old I was officially a single mother, although really I was a single mother from the day he was born but that story is for another day!

Things were very tight financially, and like you I am so thankful for the family support I am so lucky to have. I am finally in a place in my life where I am no longer living paycheck to paycheck, and struggling to pay the bills. I have a wonderful man of 3 years (3 years today actually!) Who loves me and also my son as if he was his blood. The 3 of us go on Harmony in 2 weeks and which we are calling our 1st annual family cruise.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful time, and maybe even make it a tradition! Happy cruising!

• 1 month later...

Well, we made it to 47 days until embarkation, and finally received our cruise contract, and set sail passes... excited...excited...excited

Since this is our first RCCL cruise, I have a couple questions...

1. will we receive any paperwork from RCCL that shows all the pre-booked things we chose.. such as shore excursions, or specialty restaurants.. specifically, the times we are booked?

2. it says check in is 1130... does it really mean 1130?

3. Miami is HUGE... will we be told what part of the port to go to in order to get on Enchantment of the Seas, or just drive around til we see it? all the contract says is follow the directions to the port.

Thanks again for everyone assistance.. Merry Christmas to all.. Happy Hanukkah, Happy New Year.

Well, we made it to 47 days until embarkation, and finally received our cruise contract, and set sail passes... excited...excited...excited

Since this is our first RCCL cruise, I have a couple questions...

1. will we receive any paperwork from RCCL that shows all the pre-booked things we chose.. such as shore excursions, or specialty restaurants.. specifically, the times we are booked?

3. Miami is HUGE... will we be told what part of the port to go to in order to get on Enchantment of the Seas, or just drive around til we see it? all the contract says is follow the directions to the port.

Thanks again for everyone assistance.. Merry Christmas to all.. Happy Hanukkah, Happy New Year.

1.  Sometimes the prebooked items appear on your documents when they're ready to print; sometimes not.  I'd recommend just printing out the calendar from the Cruise Planner as that will list everything.  Excursion tickets will be delivered to your cabin.

2. You can usually get into the terminal building between 10:30 and 10:45, but you may not be able to get onto the ship until 11-12; it really just depends on how quickly everyone gets off from the previous sailing.

3.  I believe your cruise documents will list the terminal number where you're supposed to go.

Not usually. I recommend printing it out ahead of time.

That is a suggestion. Show up whenever you want.

In all ports I have been to, there are digital signs that indicate which ship is docked in which port.  If nothing else, the port security can direct you.  

Jeff.

Dude.  For some reason, your post really got to me (not sure why, as I'm not divorced nor a seasoned cruiser), and I simply am beside myself excited for you.  I remember how stoked

I was last year before my first cruise; it's almost physically debilitating!  That you get to take the people most important in your life just makes it that much better!

I wish I could go with you, amigo (never mind my avatar - I look just like Matt and LOVE Sabor!).   B)

I think I can safely speak for all of us by saying that we are all happy for you, and expect a LOT of posts from you, both pre- and post-cruise!

dave

Not usually. I recommend printing it out ahead of time.

That is a suggestion. Show up whenever you want.

In all ports I have been to, there are digital signs that indicate which ship is docked in which port.  If nothing else, the port security can direct you.  

thanks Matt, again...lol

Jeff.

Dude.  For some reason, your post really got to me (not sure why, as I'm not divorced nor a seasoned cruiser), and I simply am beside myself excited for you.  I remember how stoked

I was last year before my first cruise; it's almost physically debilitating!  That you get to take the people most important in your life just makes it that much better!

I wish I could go with you, amigo (never mind my avatar - I look just like Matt and LOVE Sabor!).   B)

I think I can safely speak for all of us by saying that we are all happy for you, and expect a LOT of posts from you, both pre- and post-cruise!

dave

Dave, I truely appreciate your words.