A good problem to have - Cruise for Diamond status less drink packages

Funeegal

I do realize this is a good problem to have.  I am booked on a B2B Alaska 2022 sailing with my husband and two kids.  I would have made Diamond status after 1 night on the second  Alaska sailing.  Ug!  So frustrating!  Well...there is a great promo going on so I booked a 3-night cruise with a friend of mine that will allow me to have Diamond status for the second B2B.  WOOHOO!!!!  Ladies weekend! 

Because Diamond status is honored for your spouse and kids under 18 (only 1 of my kids will be under 18 at the time of Alaska), I was able to save buying drink packages for Alaska and that more than covered the cost of the 3-night cruise!

I am using miles for airfare so the airfare is a whopping $11.20. 

I think it is a great trade - cruise for Diamond status and no drink packages needed for 3 of us.  My 18-year old is autistic and only drinks soda anyway.  

Score for me! 🙂

15 minutes ago, twangster said:

Great deal!  Maybe if you can find another cruise deal you can make Diamond before the 1st Alaska cruise 🙂 

Make sure your husband and <18 y.o. are in a declared relationship so your <18 y.o. will get Diamond for life.  Once they turn 18 the status match stops.  

Actually, my husband, <18 y.o., and 18 y.o. will get their own Diamond status after the 2nd Alaska.  Gotta love double cruise points!

Make sure that you speak to the Loyalty Ambassador onboard during the cruise so they can help getting you recognized in the system as Diamond for the second leg of the B2B. Usually points don't post until 7-10 days after sailing, so the second SeaPass cards wouldn't automatically be printed with the Diamond status.

23 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Make sure that you speak to the Loyalty Ambassador onboard during the cruise so they can help getting you recognized in the system as Diamond for the second leg of the B2B. Usually points don't post until 7-10 days after sailing, so the second SeaPass cards wouldn't automatically be printed with the Diamond status.

Should I do this on Day 1 or 2 of the first cruise?  Is the Loyalty Ambassador located by guest services?

7 minutes ago, Funeegal said:

Should I do this on Day 1 or 2 of the first cruise?  Is the Loyalty Ambassador located by guest services?

I would ask them at any point during the first leg. The Loyalty Ambassador has a different location on each ship but it will be listed in the Cruise Compass and you can always ask them at Guest Services where they would be as well.

I'm doing a similar thing ... Thanks to the double points promo, I jumped from just 1 point shy of Emerald to 10 points shy of Diamond thanks to my 4 day cruise last month. Have a large family cruise planned next December with my parents and lots of nieces and nephews - one I feel like i wouldn't get great use of the beverage package on.... so I booked a solo 5 nighter next April to get me the 10 points I need so I'll be Diamond on the December cruise.  

1 hour ago, Brando95 said:

I'm doing a similar thing ... Thanks to the double points promo, I jumped from just 1 point shy of Emerald to 10 points shy of Diamond thanks to my 4 day cruise last month. Have a large family cruise planned next December with my parents and lots of nieces and nephews - one I feel like i wouldn't get great use of the beverage package on.... so I booked a solo 5 nighter next April to get me the 10 points I need so I'll be Diamond on the December cruise.  

Glad to know I am not the only one!

10 hours ago, Funeegal said:

I asked a similar question as we are moving from Diamond to Diamond Plus after the first of a B2B cruise.  This was RCCL response:

We are happy to know that you are planning to be with us onboard the Ovation of the Seas! We also want to congratulate you on your upcoming upgrade to Diamond Plus status! You are correct in your understanding of the way your status upgrade will be applied. As your status will upgrade at the end of your first sailing, you will be able to enjoy your Diamond Plus benefits on your next sailing. We do want you to be aware that for members whose status is upgrading on a back to back sailing, we ask that they inform the Loyalty Ambassador onboard during the first sailing of their upcoming change in status. Please let the Loyalty Ambassador know of this change and they will be able to note this change so that we are sure you receive your Diamond Plus benefits on the second sailing.

19 hours ago, Funeegal said:

Glad to know I am not the only one!

We're planning to take our 3yo on a cruise with his grandparents in 2023...I'm 14 points shy of Diamond.

That helped me convince my wife to book a 4-night Canada cruise for this May -- me solo in an interior, her and our son across in the hall in an aft JS. 4 x 2 (solo) = 8 x 2 (double points promo) = 16 = Diamond for 2023.

It's especially valuable for us as my wife didn't start cruising until we started dating, so she's far from Diamond on her own.