Jump to content

Australia/NZ Cruising News


Recommended Posts

With the Voyager I guess it is all about perception. We really liked the amplification and thought it was nicer than the Explorer previous season. We did the first cruise out of Sydney, so just after its sailing from Singapore, and we thought it smelt new. New carpet and paint and many areas seemed fresh and clean. It had that new ship smell, lol. We loved the addition of the slides and despite our age, we were big kids. 

We hated the fact that the Diamond lounge was moved and it was now the Suite lounge, as this was a great indoor/outdoor hangout of an evening pre-dinner. We had a GS on one sailing so made friends with the concierge and sneakly went into the lounge on later sailings as she never questioned it. It may have been the initial tip.

So we would happily sail on her again.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Do you think Gavin Smith would be back at work?

I want to suggest that Royal offer all inclusive packages to Singapore for Ozzie’s.

I can’t see anything happening this year with the lame ducks running the  place.

And with spectrum possibly doing port calls , I think it would be a good relief for us poor Australians.

All inclusive,air,a few nights before the cruise,transfers and possibly pre arranged tests.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/18/2021 at 11:55 AM, CruisingOz said:

With the Voyager I guess it is all about perception. We really liked the amplification and thought it was nicer than the Explorer previous season. We did the first cruise out of Sydney, so just after its sailing from Singapore, and we thought it smelt new. New carpet and paint and many areas seemed fresh and clean. It had that new ship smell, lol. We loved the addition of the slides and despite our age, we were big kids. 

We hated the fact that the Diamond lounge was moved and it was now the Suite lounge, as this was a great indoor/outdoor hangout of an evening pre-dinner. We had a GS on one sailing so made friends with the concierge and sneakly went into the lounge on later sailings as she never questioned it. It may have been the initial tip.

So we would happily sail on her again.   

How was your adventures to the US ?

Im getting desperate,apparently only  Singapore passport holders can cruise out of Singapore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Chili said:

How was your adventures to the US ?

Im getting desperate,apparently only  Singapore passport holders can cruise out of Singapore.

Wasn't this due to change??  Australia is one of the VTL (Vaccinated Travel Lane) countries for Singapore entry and I read an article recently that they were opening up cruising too. Will see if I can find the article.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, KWofPerth said:

This was in late November. Maybe Omicron has changed the rules back?

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/news/exclusive-singapore-welcomes-australians-to-cruise-aboard-its-ships/

That’s strange,they must have back pedaled.

I emailed RC in Sydney yesterday ,suggesting cruise packages to Singapore.

They said only Singapore passport holders can cruise out of Singapore.
So much for the travel bubble.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Chili said:

How was your adventures to the US ?

My US adventure is going very well, have an absolute blast. Only 610 on the Granduer and so very personal service by great staff, although not much atmosphere at casino, game shows, etc. Bingo got cancelled today due to lack of people and so have the odd shore excursion. Only missed one port, Columbia, but the rest have all been as per the schedule when we boarded, which is different from when we booked. The processes through airports and ports are understandably different, but if you put in the time to research and be fully prepared, quite easy. So far so good, so glad we have gone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CruisingOz said:

My daughter was planning to do to Singapore this month but the testing requirements would mean she would not really have a holiday as would need to seek continual testing and it is expensive as well as quarantine time. 

At this point in time we can’t cruise out of Singapore as it’s Singapore passport holders only.

And as you said it wouldn’t be much of a holiday because of all the tests not to mention the expense.

What did you have to do to get into the U.S. ?  From what I can work out it’s a test before the flight in Sydney and that’s it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Chili said:

What did you have to do to get into the U.S.

To get into the US, you need to have a RT-PCR test within 24 hours of your departure flight from Australia. It must be a fully documented results. We paid online to Histopath and went to Sydney Intetnation airport the afternoon before to have the test. It is upstairs on the ramp from the car park into departures. Cost $79 pp and results took 30min. There is security and you need to show proof of travel. On flight day, we went through four checks to show passport, covid test results, vaccine history and travel details, and this was before we got to check in where they had to check and document everything. Oh, and ESTA. You must travel with a return ticket, no open tickets are allowed to travel on. Saw a couple rejected check in.

other than that, the rest in normal and the usual customs checks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2022 at 7:11 AM, Chili said:

I was a bit hesitant about posting this but I can’t see a copyright or and sensitive legal content. I don’t think Royal Caribbean should mind as it is in the interest of their customers.

I was suggesting some packages for Australians to travel to Singapore.

 

2CDD2869-0CEF-40BC-B802-34CCDC1001BF.thumb.jpeg.3d3d67b8ace82869811f8105cc1951e3.jpeg

Why market this to Australians then? I'm confused, I also thought it was possible with testing. Something must have changed.

 image.thumb.png.44e71012f0fab868c0b27653d563eb2a.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Singapore is a close and safe destination for Australians especially in our winter months.It’s a good long term market for Royal Caribbean Australia. I think Royal should do stay and cruise packages,all inclusive. Fly ,transfers,Hotel and a cruise.

 Apparently Singapore has just dropped the restrictions on foreign passport holders to cruise.

And personally I can’t see the Australia 2022-2023 season happening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KWofPerth said:

When are the sailings released? This morning I see only two sailings between April and June.

I think I saw some Spectrum cruises on the Singapore website.

 I might try to email that Angie Stephen on Monday and see I get a response.
 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/26/2022 at 11:26 PM, Chili said:

Singapore is a close and safe destination for Australians especially in our winter months.It’s a good long term market for Royal Caribbean Australia. I think Royal should do stay and cruise packages,all inclusive. Fly ,transfers,Hotel and a cruise.

 Apparently Singapore has just dropped the restrictions on foreign passport holders to cruise.

And personally I can’t see the Australia 2022-2023 season happening.

You seriously believe the Australian government will not allow cruising to resume by October of 2022?  That is when most of Royals ships could be back in Australia after spending the Northern Hemisphere summer up in Alaska.  One would think at this point Australian government would be comfortable in following the Singaporean Governments lead since they have demonstrated cruising can be done safely seeing how they've done it since December of 2020.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

You seriously believe the Australian government will not allow cruising to resume by October of 2022?  That is when most of Royals ships could be back in Australia after spending the Northern Hemisphere summer up in Alaska.  One would think at this point Australian government would be comfortable in following the Singaporean Governments lead since they have demonstrated cruising can be done safely seeing how they've done it since December of 2020.

Anything is possible with this hypochondriac government we have.

But a few nights and a cruise in Singapore during our winter is something to look forward to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/29/2022 at 4:59 PM, KWofPerth said:

When are the sailings released? This morning I see only two sailings between April and June.

There are heaps for Spectrum - 24 dates

It's not going to work until they drop the testing regime in Singapore, currently too restrictive to make it worth it.

 image.png.bc8586a3ffb0d8f7da0fa58613a8ce06.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mattymay said:

There are heaps for Spectrum - 24 dates

It's not going to work until they drop the testing regime in Singapore, currently too restrictive to make it worth it.

 image.png.bc8586a3ffb0d8f7da0fa58613a8ce06.png

 

I’m waiting for a response from RCCLAPAC Singapore.

You are right about the testing,   about $350 worth.

From what I can work out a test at sydney airport, then one on arrival in Singapore.

If you stay anymore than a night before the cruise you have to get another.
Royal Caribbean do them at the convention centre and transfer you.

Then one before the flight coming home and then I believe a RAT on arrival at Sydney.
 

We are looking at a trip around the middle of the year.     L.A. is a bit to far for some of my friends but 8 hours to Singapore they should be able to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here’s a interesting article by a lawyer that specialises in the Australian Cruise industry.

She predicts 6 months for this bill to pass the fed then there’s the state and a 3 months lead up for the ships.

 

https://www.victorytravelcruiselawyers.com.au/australias-cruise-ban-crisis-continues/

 

https://www.victorytravelcruiselawyers.com.au/when-will-the-cruise-ban-be-lifted/

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What is going on in Australia as it pertains to the cruise industry?  Just yesterday Carnival Cruise lines confirmed to The Points Guy that they will be removing both Carnival Spirit and Carnival Splendor (the two ships they've dedicated to Australia for a few years) over to the United States.  Carnival Spirit is heading to Jacksonville however there was no destination given as to where Carnival Splendor will end up at.  According to the article Carnival is removing those ships from Australia because there is still no clear path as too when Australian government will allow cruising to resume and Carnival would not say if or when these ships would return to Australia.  

The Australian Government needs to take some action in regards to the cruise industry or risk setting the industry back because it would seem like cruise lines are not willing to go another year and let those ship sit idle while other countries around the world have allowed cruising to safely resume.

The news about Australia can be found in the second half of the article.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/2-more-ships-leave-carnival-cruise-line-fleet/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We were looking forward to the prospect of flying to Singapore, then cruising back to Brisbane along the East Coast.  Forget it -- the testing restrictions/requirements are so onerous and costly, as well as the paranoia about being frogmarched around on the ship's excursions instead of being allowed to do our own thing at each port.  Not worth it

Looking at NZ instead -- whenever Jacinda lets us in .  It's getting to be easier to fly over there and tour, instead of cruising to NZ;  Looks like Alan Joyce has more clout with the Governments than the cruise lines??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...