Jump to content
Royal Caribbean Blog

Cruise Start Date Anticipated - Hyped Incorrectly


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The CDC is an interesting agency.   It is an example of government doing what it does best.  Nothing. When a cruise ship had an outbreak off the California coast the CDC did nothing.  They didn't

HOT DAMN!!!   RANGER COOKIES ARE BACK!!!

I hope it is news of a US restart.  If it is get ready for a flood of bookings and that surge in demand could cause prices to bump so today could be a great day to consider a refundable deposit b

Posted Images

5 hours ago, mook1525 said:

I agree.

I just don’t understand their hatred/ignorance/inaction against cruise industry.

I've thought a great deal about the hatred/ignorance of the cruise industry.  I think the answer may be in Twangster's post about the CDC.  Only 15% of Americans have ever taken a cruise.  That means 85% have not.  While many claim they don't want to vacation on a floating petry dish, I think it's something different.

 

I would be willing to bet that most either can't afford to cruise, think they can't afford to cruise, or just never taken the time to book a cruise.  All of their excuses(hatred and jealousy) serve to blame someone or something other than themselves.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, DublinFC said:

The more I think about it the more I am annoyed with "the news we've all been waiting for" click-bait.  Only speaking my own thoughts here, but wth was she thinking?  After the past year how in the world is Navigator going to LA the news we have been waiting for?  I am actually more than annoyed.  I know in the grand scheme of things that has gone on with covid, cruise vacations being cancelled for so long is not the worst that has happened. 

But, knowing you have a consumer base wanting to know when we will potentially get back to sailing this was a really bad idea.  Not to mention the crew members who want to get back to work.  I'm frustrated about all of it. 

Sorry for the rant/venting.  

Navigator wasn’t the news we have all been waiting for.. she said that and then she back-pedalled saying they now couldn’t say anything.. BUT we can tell you about a new home port instead.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Look, I've said this elsewhere and probably in this thread as well. Those of us who have been loyal to RCG for decades and  who aren't getting any younger, our time in this world where we are still vital and active is ticking away. Meanwhile, we wait for the resumption of cruising from US ports. My take is that we're getting a raw deal on two fronts: (1) The CDC's unobtainable goal of requiring cruise lines to get the risk of COVID aboard their ships to near zero through a litany of complex and costly tasks. (2) RCG's lack of leadership in getting them eased and keeping their loyalists informed.

Admittedly, I don't know what is going on behind the scenes but this dance is ridiculous. It is becoming more and more obvious to me, anyway, that as time goes on this dance is being orchestrated at the corporate level. It is a marketing strategy to keep revenue flowing in through advanced bookings, sustained by falsely feeding our insatiable optimism that cruising is going to restart "very soon."  It amounts to stall tactics and should be called out. I'm calling it out.

I don't know about the rest of you but out of 7 planned cruises in the past year, all of them have been moved forward which means RCG has a lot of my money without any reassurances that I'm actually going to cruise in the next year.

Yes, I had options. Did many cruisers holding cancelled bookings ask for refunds?  Based on booking figures and optimistic outlooks for profits we get from corporate, Nope. Moreover, those predictions supported by investment analysts talking those profits up - propping stock prices up and keeping them tanking - makes it appear that folks pushing their chips forward to the next round of cancellations is a good bet. I'm seriously beginning to wonder about that.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JeffB said:

Look, I've said this elsewhere and probably in this thread as well. Those of us who have been loyal to RCG for decades and  who aren't getting any younger, our time in this world where we are still vital and active is ticking away. Meanwhile, we wait for the resumption of cruising from US ports. My take is that we're getting a raw deal on two fronts: (1) The CDC's unobtainable goal of requiring cruise lines to get the risk of COVID aboard their ships to near zero through a litany of complex and costly tasks. (2) RCG's lack of leadership in getting them eased and keeping their loyalists informed.

Admittedly, I don't know what is going on behind the scenes but this dance is ridiculous. It is becoming more and more obvious to me, anyway, that as time goes on this dance is being orchestrated at the corporate level. It is a marketing strategy to keep revenue flowing in through advanced bookings, sustained by falsely feeding our insatiable optimism that cruising is going to restart "very soon."  It amounts to stall tactics and should be called out. I'm calling it out.

I don't know about the rest of you but out of 7 planned cruises in the past year, all of them have been moved forward which means RCG has a lot of my money without any reassurances that I'm actually going to cruise in the next year.

Yes, I had options. Did many cruisers holding cancelled bookings ask for refunds?  Based on booking figures and optimistic outlooks for profits we get from corporate, Nope. Moreover, those predictions supported by investment analysts talking those profits up - propping stock prices up and keeping them tanking - makes it appear that folks pushing their chips forward to the next round of cancellations is a good bet. I'm seriously beginning to wonder about that.   

On the brightside you can now book a cruise from LA that may also need to be shifted 🙂 it probably wont need to be but who knows 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Today Show did a story on this topic today I think they were expecting some news from the CDC, even though I get the feeling many of their anchors are not fans of the cruise industry.  In the report (link provided below) Kerry Sanders which I think is a friend of the cruise industry and probably the reason NBC did this story did say the CDC has issued no new guidance and declined (the politically correct way of saying the CDC refused) to take questions or comment on the cruise industry.

 

As much talking at the new CDC director has been doing over the past several days lamenting the record number of Americans traveling for spring break, one would think the director would at the very least take a few questions from NBC's Kerry Sanders concerning concerning the resumption of cruising in this country seeing that cruise lines have been shut down for more than a year now. 

https://www.today.com/video/cruise-ships-prepare-to-welcome-back-passengers-108624965839?playlist=mmlsnnd_todayarchiveswednesday

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JeffB said:

Look, I've said this elsewhere and probably in this thread as well. Those of us who have been loyal to RCG for decades and  who aren't getting any younger, our time in this world where we are still vital and active is ticking away. Meanwhile, we wait for the resumption of cruising from US ports. My take is that we're getting a raw deal on two fronts: (1) The CDC's unobtainable goal of requiring cruise lines to get the risk of COVID aboard their ships to near zero through a litany of complex and costly tasks. (2) RCG's lack of leadership in getting them eased and keeping their loyalists informed.

Admittedly, I don't know what is going on behind the scenes but this dance is ridiculous. It is becoming more and more obvious to me, anyway, that as time goes on this dance is being orchestrated at the corporate level. It is a marketing strategy to keep revenue flowing in through advanced bookings, sustained by falsely feeding our insatiable optimism that cruising is going to restart "very soon."  It amounts to stall tactics and should be called out. I'm calling it out.

I don't know about the rest of you but out of 7 planned cruises in the past year, all of them have been moved forward which means RCG has a lot of my money without any reassurances that I'm actually going to cruise in the next year.

Yes, I had options. Did many cruisers holding cancelled bookings ask for refunds?  Based on booking figures and optimistic outlooks for profits we get from corporate, Nope. Moreover, those predictions supported by investment analysts talking those profits up - propping stock prices up and keeping them tanking - makes it appear that folks pushing their chips forward to the next round of cancellations is a good bet. I'm seriously beginning to wonder about that.   

I agree completely. My attitude has shifted over time, and as such, I changed ALL of my FCCs into refunds. Based on what I'm seeing, there is no concrete plan at all, indicating a failure in leadership at the CDC level (definitely) and at the RCG level (seems likely).

I would LOVE to go on a cruise, but at this point, I don't know if cruises will come back soon, and I'm starting to think the cruise industry may not survive. Cruising will still be around, of course, but not as we know it today. I'm hopeful, but certainly not expectant at this point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2021 at 8:17 AM, DisneyWorld30th said:

Travel agents were informed today at 9:15AM that there is Breaking News to be announed to agents tomorrow.  Here was the message:

 

I can't contain my excitement, I have some late breaking news to share with you all! The anticipation is too much for me to wait another week to share this news so I will be switching up my previously planned Coffee Talk. Join me tomorrow Wednesday, March 17 at 12 p.m. EDT, for an exclusive Coffee Talk with some hot off the press updates. I guarantee this is a session you will not want to miss out on - I'd say this is the news we've all been waiting for!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Three or four  weeks ago, I was pretty optimistic. The leading factor for that optimism was what appeared to be a shift in EU governments to a position that was supportive of the resumption of tourism, including cruise ship tourism, this in contrast to the CDCs fear monkey position on congregate settings, e.g., cruise ships.

Then came news of a surge in new cases within the EU member states and more rigorous lock-downs. This was quickly followed by the AZ vaccines  debacle. Increases in new case numbers compared to the experience in the UK, US and eslewhere had less to do about people behaving badly and irresponsibly in the face of COVID and much more to do with a failed vEUC vaccine program. At this point I'm not optimistic at all about a cruise restart being led by Europe. Walenski at the CDC is trying to outwardly be optimistic but follows a listing of every gain with two or more downsides.

As I have said, THE #1 task for global governments should be getting vaccines in arms. It is undeniable that vaccines work and for countries that have done well distributing it to their citizens, disease burden is declining. An added benefit is that it is anecdotally but still clearly reducing transmission. Americans are not stupid. It defies logic and science for the CDC to, instead of being excessively guarded, start telling us that great progress is being made (which it absolutely is) and these are the steps you need to follow to start resuming normal activities safely.

Failing to do this, and having Americans recognize that failure, is entirely counter productive and instead of increased attention being paid to meaningful public health messaging, it is being rejected as non-sensical and inconsistent with the facts on the ground. That is producing exactly the opposite affect .......Americans saying screw your advice  and acting without any caution at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, JeffB said:

Americans saying screw your advice  and acting without any caution at all.

This was DeSantis's position in regards to Florida back in June/July of last year ... I cant keep you locked down indefinitely "just in case", so we are going to bubble wrap the elderly and let everyone else go back to normal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, DublinFC said:

The more I think about it the more I am annoyed with "the news we've all been waiting for" click-bait.  Only speaking my own thoughts here, but wth was she thinking?  After the past year how in the world is Navigator going to LA the news we have been waiting for?  I am actually more than annoyed.  I know in the grand scheme of things that has gone on with covid, cruise vacations being cancelled for so long is not the worst that has happened. 

But, knowing you have a consumer base wanting to know when we will potentially get back to sailing this was a really bad idea.  Not to mention the crew members who want to get back to work.  I'm frustrated about all of it. 

Sorry for the rant/venting.  

 

16099225a8e485df229d6a81c314265b_XL.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jticarruthers said:

This was DeSantis's position in regards to Florida back in June/July of last year ... I cant keep you locked down indefinitely "just in case", so we are going to bubble wrap the elderly and let everyone else go back to normal.

At least you can float.  Safer on the ship 

maxresdefault.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PA Cruiser said:

Thinks about it!!!

CDC is not supporting the Cruise industry because the ships are not 'FLAGGED' in the US of A, so are NOT paying US of A taxes!!!

WHY would they support Cruising???

Start researching the "US" automakers.  How much in taxes do they pay?

It's true that the foreign cruise lines don't pay taxes on the most valuable assets, the ships.  Despite that they contribute billions to the US economy.  Not just in the companies that support and supply the fleet which do pay US taxes and employ US workers.

CLIA estimates that the average spend of a guest boarding a cruise ship is $350 in the home port of that ship.

Between the two ships just announced to sail from outside the US in the Caribbean there will be roughly 3,000 guests per week spending that $350 in St. Maarten and the Bahamas.  That's $1M per week going into these foreign economies. 

Well done CDC, St. Maarten and the Bahamas thanks you!  Best gift ever!

The CDC is killing American jobs and costing the US economy billions in the name of fake science.  The cure has officially become worse than the disease.

Only 15% of Americans have ever cruised.  That's not the percentage of Americans that will cruise in 2021, that is all time.  If Royal filled every ship in the fleet to capacity that is less than .03% of the US population.  Royal isn't trying to fill every ship, not even close.  

Do you seriously think that stopping 0.01% of Americans from cruising is going to save America from this terrible virus? 

Banning cruise ships is accomplishing nothing in terms of stopping the spread.  They are focused on one grain of sand in a landslide while ignoring the boulders tumbling down the hill.  

It would be like the police saying "In order to stop speeding on highways we are now banning all yellow cars that have a black stripe on the hood" while ignoring all other cars.  "There... problem solved".

They aren't accomplishing anything except killing US jobs and sending money into foreign economies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, twangster said:

Start researching the "US" automakers.  How much in taxes do they pay?

It's true that the foreign cruise lines don't pay taxes on the most valuable assets, the ships.  Despite that they contribute billions to the US economy.  Not just in the companies that support and supply the fleet which do pay US taxes and employ US workers.

Delta airlines pays little to no US taxes either.  The most profitable part of the company, their loyalty program, is "SkyMiles IP .. a newly formed Cayman Islands exempted company incorporated with limited liability and an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of Delta."  So i'm not sure it's really accurate to say that Delta Airlines is an "American Company" either, but nobody ever talks about this.  They just like to point out that the cruise lines are all "foreign" companies.

And the US airlines have received lots of pandemic aid from taxpayers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...