Royal Caribbean Blog

Off To A Bad Start In The Caribbean !!

14 hours ago, MrB said:

6 positves out of a very small ship of 100ish total people. That's pretty bad. 

Not when its 1 family who have travelled together to get to barbados from US, probably shared hotel room beforehand and cabins on ship along with everything else they have done together in between ( as in NOT wearing masks while sharing rooms etc ) 

I think the reality here is that there is virtually no way to completely keep the virus from getting on a ship. The important thing is the timely recognition of it’s presence through testing. Then the mitigation taken to isolate those who are infected and to stop the risk of spread. The Healthy Sail protocols plan for this eventuality by having on-going testing, designated isolation cabins, positive-pressure medical facilities, virus killing air scrubbers, and a robust sanitization protocol to prevent spread by surface contact. Also, by limiting passenger load to help with social distancing. And, of course, masks.

Sailing with the risk of Covid onboard is reasonable to me if I know an infection will likely not become an outbreak...and the risk of being held captive in my cabin is lessened by these common sense protocols and practiced reactions which quickly identify, isolate and treat patients while protecting the rest of the passengers and crew. Time will tell. Delaying it will do nothing except further hurt those who depend on the industry for their livelihoods.

37 minutes ago, Frank Brealin said:

Not all bad....if is was only six when it’s all said and done that means they contained it.    

Mu guess is the bigger ships will be subject to even stricter measures than the small ships...like letting people board from places like Barbados 

Seven passengers tested positive and as of this morning, crew members was added to the people infected numbers, but Sea Dream won't state how many crew members were infected. There were 53 passengers and 66 crew onboard. In essence, that's a total of approximately 6% infected onboard. Based on passengers only, is approximately 13.5%. These numbers are too high. Infact, ANY infection numbers are unacceptable.

There are 2 things that stand out to me about this sailing.

1. The fact SeaDream did not employ masks at first
  2. When there was a positive case, why they put the entire ship on lockdown.

If you read through the Healthy Sail Panel protocols, neither scenario was what should have happened.

Masks should have been work by crew and passengers, and if there was one case, they should have quarantined and isolated that case. The HSP recommendations do not require the ship to go on lockdown (or even return to port immediately) for 1 case (or 6)

38 minutes ago, Matt said:

There are 2 things that stand out to me about this sailing.

1. The fact SeaDream did not employ masks at first
  2. When there was a positive case, why they put the entire ship on lockdown.

If you read through the Healthy Sail Panel protocols, neither scenario was what should have happened.

Masks should have been work by crew and passengers, and if there was one case, they should have quarantined and isolated that case. The HSP recommendations do not require the ship to go on lockdown (or even return to port immediately) for 1 case (or 6)

Lets keep in mind that the Healthy Sail Panel protocols are moot in Barbados as is the CDC's tyranny.

5 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

Seven passengers tested positive and as of this morning, crew members was added to the people infected numbers, but Sea Dream won't state how many crew members were infected. There were 53 passengers and 66 crew onboard. In essence, that's a total of approximately 6% infected onboard. Based on passengers only, is approximately 13.5%. These numbers are too high. Infact, ANY infection numbers are unacceptable.

6 of the 7 were same family so the %  you quote means nothing as they were probably infected before boarding.

The positives to look at is that when these 6 were found out only 1 other case was found in passengers. 

With regards crew no idea but if they had worn masks then may not have happened .

25 minutes ago, Ray said:

6 of the 7 were same family so the %  you quote means nothing as they were probably infected before boarding.

The positives to look at is that when these 6 were found out only 1 other case was found in passengers. 

With regards crew no idea but if they had worn masks then may not have happened .

Your analogy is moot as I was only giving the percentage of the total infections onboard. Not prior thereto, nor after disembarkation.

It's interesting to hear Ben & David's comments about being forced onto the plane home.  

There is such focus on ships but time and again so many other areas that have spread are ignored by the media.

Even though it was just one family it goes to show that one person or family who many not be as diligent for whatever reason can impact the entire ship full of otherwise compliant people.  I don't know that the family in this case was or was not believers or doubters, maskers or anti-maskers, etc.  but the outcome is the same. 

It illustrates that all it takes is one person who doesn't think the virus is a big deal to shutdown an industry.  The CDC is going to use this to support delaying a cruise restart.  This one family did that to this industry.  

Democratic Senators have already urged the CDC to re-instate the No Sail order....just have to wait for the Biden team to take office, and I don't say that to make this political. It's factual. If Biden is calling for a national shut down and masks to be worn, they are NOT going to allow cruising in any way shape or form.

I would say that by March/April they may allow some tests cruises to start (assuming that vaccines at that point will have been already starting to roll  out and winter will be finishing up for the most part) and perhaps by May/June before cruising will be allowed to start up.....but I wouldn't count on taking a cruise anywhere till June at this point..and that's being optimistic 

6 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Democratic Senators have already urged the CDC to re-instate the No Sail order....just have to wait for the Biden team to take office, and I don't say that to make this political. It's factual. If Biden is calling for a national shut down and masks to be worn, they are NOT going to allow cruising in any way shape or form.

I would say that by March/April they may allow some tests cruises to start (assuming that vaccines at that point will have been already starting to roll  out and winter will be finishing up for the most part) and perhaps by May/June before cruising will be allowed to start up.....but I wouldn't count on taking a cruise anywhere till June at this point..and that's being optimistic 

FWIW Biden has never called for a nationwide lockdown.  Dr. Fauci has gone on the record this week that he does not support a national shutdown.  A mask mandate is very different from a lockdown.  

Not all political leaders who identify with one party or the other are hard core extreme zealots.  In Colorado our democratic governor has gone on the record time and again that he does not want a lockdown, that he's trying to find ways to keep commerce going within the limits of a public health crisis.   It's a fine line and all governors are well aware of the ongoing COVID fatigue that is occurring.  If you remove the noise that people with agendas introduce you will find most governors are simply trying to do the best for their residents regardless of color labels applied by those with political agendas.

That's as political as I care to go but I went there because it does relate to cruising.  The simple fact is the virus is not under control in America.  America does need to gain better control of the situation.  Cruising isn't possible right now not because of politicians but because there is actually a public health emergency or crisis right now in America.   Only when that has subsided will cruising resume.  The current administration did not give the green light cruising.  The conditional sail order is a very small step towards cruises resuming but it's a baby step at best  The next administration won't give the green light on day one just like the current administration has not.  It's only political to those that are trying to make it that way.

I do agree that cruising is several months away in America for all the right reasons.  

15 hours ago, mattymay said:

The fate of the US (and therefore cruising) is all on the vaccine. No big ship will sail without it. A national shut down wont work anyways, too late, too many cases, would take a very long lockdown to get it under control.

An effective and widely accepted vaccine is creates the "event" to enable restart.  This month-to-month slippage is to mitigate severe equity drops and maintain deposits to continue some level of cash flow.  But think you're right on point.