Refunds for Taxes, Fees, Gratuities, and Cruise Planner purchases

My family were booked to cruise on Symphony on March 14, 2020 but cruise was cancelled and we received an email offering a 125% Future Cruise Credit that also stated that taxes, fees, gratuities and any cruise planner purchases would be automatically refunded to the original form of payment.  I have called several times asking for the timing of the refund and no one can give me a straight answer - last representative said 30 days from when the cruise was cancelled.  I have also sent messages on the RCCL website and have not received any response or any confirmation that I even sent a message. I have already received my FCC certificate.

Is anyone else in this same situation and have you received your refund?  I'd like to actually book another cruise for later this summer (hopefully) but don't want to do that without receiving my refund for my fees and precruise purchases.

Refunds can take up to 90 days due to the fact that many reps are working from home. Banks are also on an alternative schedule and imho, the fact that there seems to be a lot of refunds to process. Normally they tell you to expect refunds to be processed in 7-14 business days but with the change in what is a business day. I would say give it at least 30 days, but to also be a bit patient. Millions of people are sick, so even though a lot of things are automatize, they still require human interaction. My cousin works at the Chase processing center in Elgin Illinois and they have such a high call volume, with not enough people to help process payments, refunds etc., that they are doing call backs. I believe you could have a TA hold your cruise until I believe May, while you wait to receive the refund.

Refunds for our shore excursions slowly trickled in from our March 22 cruise with the last one coming last week. Have not received any refund for the taxes or gratuities but expect those within the next week or so. With that many folks getting money back the backlog of refunds is enormous so I expect it will take a while.

• 3 weeks later...

I received credit finally for my Alaskan Cruise canceled. 30 days exactly from when it was canceled. However did not receive total amount back. I am not seeing the taxes and port fees that amount to another $450. Why not?? Is that coming later? Please reply if you have an answer. 

On 4/9/2020 at 5:09 PM, Cruising Family said:

My family were booked to cruise on Symphony on March 14, 2020 but cruise was cancelled and we received an email offering a 125% Future Cruise Credit that also stated that taxes, fees, gratuities and any cruise planner purchases would be automatically refunded to the original form of payment.  I have called several times asking for the timing of the refund and no one can give me a straight answer - last representative said 30 days from when the cruise was cancelled.  I have also sent messages on the RCCL website and have not received any response or any confirmation that I even sent a message. I have already received my FCC certificate.

Is anyone else in this same situation and have you received your refund?  I'd like to actually book another cruise for later this summer (hopefully) but don't want to do that without receiving my refund for my fees and precruise purchases.

I also had a cruise on March 14th cancelled and all i have received was the FCC, no refunds yet. I called today they said it would still another couple weeks ?

4 hours ago, Deannaf said:

I received credit finally for my Alaskan Cruise canceled. 30 days exactly from when it was canceled. However did not receive total amount back. I am not seeing the taxes and port fees that amount to another $450. Why not?? Is that coming later? Please reply if you have an answer. 

Taxes + port fees will be refunded back to the original form of payment.  

On 4/26/2020 at 8:19 PM, Chris Capson said:

I also had a cruise on March 14th cancelled and all i have received was the FCC, no refunds yet. I called today they said it would still another couple weeks ?

Were you booked on Symphony by any chance? It is disheartening to see people are getting their refunds and mine wasn’t even processed as cancelled until April 14th and told refunds would happen in 30-45 business days after processing. Wondering why people booked in April are getting refunds and if cruises planned just right after cancellations occurred are seeing delays.

• 3 weeks later...

Our cruise was also cancelled, we attempted to have the funds moved to the same cruise, one year later and Royal wanted an additional $500 for a deposit on the new cruise even though the identical cruise was paid in full along with beverages, Key club and multiple excursions.    We then opted for a refund instead, this was at the end of March.   We are now in Mid May still being delayed - went to the bank that holds the Royal Caribbean card, finally appear to be getting some results.

We are still waiting on port tax and fees from 12nt April 4 cruise. I hope everyone gets refunded sooner than later. We have two more cruises booked and paid for a total of 4 rooms...RC has been great on phone and handling FCC. I wonder how much of the delay is related to holding In reserve cash for as long as they can before releasing it. This whole worldwide crisis is uncharted for companies of the modern era. Stay safe and God Bless. 

We are still waiting on port tax and fees from 12nt April 4 cruise. I hope everyone gets refunded sooner than later. We have two more cruises booked and paid for a total of 4 rooms...RC has been great on phone and handling FCC. I wonder how much of the delay is related to holding In reserve cash for as long as they can before releasing it. This whole worldwide crisis is uncharted for companies of the modern era. Stay safe and God Bless.