Embassy Suites Newark to Times Square

We're arriving at EWR around noon (Sat) the day before our cruise.  We love NYC with things like Times Square, Central Park, etc. 

We selected a hotel that was convenient for travel from the airport and to the port, but since we'll have the afternoon to do things, is there any easy way to get to Times Square area?  Or would it be a waste of time as it's too hard to travel.  For simplicity, we may just stay in the area, but just trying to find out if it's an option to go into the city. It would also depend on the weather that day (as it's March), if we even want to attempt it.

9 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

We selected a hotel that was convenient for travel from the airport and to the port, but since we'll have the afternoon to do things, is there any easy way to get to Times Square area?  Or would it be a waste of time as it's too hard to travel. 

This was the very reason we cancelled our booking at the Embassy before the Anthem GC this past summer.  Originally we had it booked like the first time we sailed Anthem and then when @Matt decided that the pre-cruise meet up was in Manhattan and the girls wanted to see the city, I started looking into options to travel into the city.  I did not like any of them. 

Here is what was shared with me by some:

- Ride share/cab is the most direct but not a good option because with your times, you might hit rush hour.

- You can use the complimentary hotel airport shuttle to go back to the airport and take the PATH train from there into the city.

- You could also take ride share from the hotel to the nearest PATH station and hop on the train from that point.

- There is also the NJ Transit train that will get you into the city.  Not sure where the station is to that.

Also, at one point, @CGTLH told me that a city bus might be an option as well.

In the end, none of those options looked good to me, so we cancelled and stayed in NYC.  The ride to the port in the morning was less than one hour and was perfectly fine.  I guess it just comes down to what you want to do.  If you are fine with just arriving pre-cruise, getting settled and just relax, then stay at Embassy.  But if you have your heart on seeing the city, I would stay in NYC instead.  Less hassle.  This July when we sail Adventure, we will in staying in the city again as we just bought tickets to see a Broadway show!

Personally after staying out by EWR I'd rather stay in the Jersey City area. Out by the airport is really nothing. Out by the airport isn't a bad option if just looking for location that is a place to sleep for the night after a flight.

Transportation wise, Google Maps "Transit" feature works great in getting an idea for routes. The bus @Lovetocruise2002 had mentioned was a commuter bus that runs from the mall by Embassy Suites to the bus terminal near Times Square. For trail/light rail when I was researching it you'd have to head back to the airport (to take the AirTrain to the Newark rail station) or get a ride to the station in Elizabeth.

Thanks for the replies.  Our main priority is convenience so still happy with our choice of hotel....just looking at options in case we want to venture into the city.  I have a feeling that we'll just stay near the hotel (think there is an outlet nearby?)  We love NYC, and often book a trip in itself to spend a few days (although the past few years, cruising has taken over so it's been a bit since we've gone...lol). 

Sorry if this has been said, but am a bit confused.  For the NJ Transit option, is it the Newark Airport stop, Newark Broad Street or Newark Penn Station stop that is closest to Embassy Suites?

24 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Sorry if this has been said, but am a bit confused.  For the NJ Transit option, is it the Newark Airport stop, Newark Broad Street or Newark Penn Station stop that is closest to Embassy Suites?

Basing from maps, no real experience...

Airport location would be ideal, hotels normally offer a free shuttle to/from EWR. From there you can take the AirTrain to the Airport station.

On your own transportation, I'd say Elizabeth Station.

Once again, no real experience... Only time I've ventured on the transit system was out of Jersey City using PATH.

Would for sure not waste your day in New Jersey outlets when you could catch a train into NYC!  There are several NJ Transit trains an hour into the city.  If you're not used to public transportation/trains, just be early and patient (with yourself and the trains).   The journey is part of the experience!  https://www.njtransit.com/hp/hp_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=HomePageTo

You could also take a car into the city but I'd take a train (almost) every time.