Symphony vs Freedom

Donissa12

Hi everyone, my wife and I have never been on Royal Caribbean and are planning a cruise in March next year. We can't decide between Freedom of the Seas to the southern caribbean (we like the itinerary and price more) or symphony of the seas to cococay and a couple other Islands. (We like this itinerary less but the ship looks amazing)

Symphony looks really cool with lots to do but six thousand people just seems like so much. What would everyone recommend? Whichever one we don't do we will probably do next year if we like Royal Caribbean.

I would recommend going with Freedom. She is due for major renovations very soon as part of the AMPlified program, and if you combine that with an itinerary you’re more interested in I think you’ll end up liking the overall experience better. And if you book that before the renovations start, you’ll beat the inevitable post-refurb price bump.

7 hours ago, Donissa12 said:

Hi everyone, my wife and I have never been on Royal Caribbean and are planning a cruise in March next year. We can't decide between Freedom of the Seas to the southern caribbean (we like the itinerary and price more) or symphony of the seas to cococay and a couple other Islands. (We like this itinerary less but the ship looks amazing)

Symphony looks really cool with lots to do but six thousand people just seems like so much. What would everyone recommend? Whichever one we don't do we will probably do next year if we like Royal Caribbean.

In our experience, the itinerary is more important than the ship.  I haven't been on Symphony, but we have traveled on Oasis, Harmony, and Freedom.  We enjoyed them all, but Freedom is less overwhelming.  So I agree with@JLMoran .  Have a great cruise whatever you choose.

@Donissa12 Here's how we came to the conclusion of what to book..Ship vs Itinerary.  We started with the itinerary, places that we wanted to check out ruled first, then after we hit all the Caribbean Islands we wanted to see.  Next the ship became the destination and if it hit an island that we liked to see again, that was a plus also.  Hope this helps.

Our first cruise, we just wanted to get on a ship.  At the time,Freedom was new and the largest ship in the world, so we booked it.  After a couple of cruises on Freedom class, Oasis came out and we fell in love with the ship and took 3 cruises on that class.  I wouldn't hesitate to get back on that class.

We booked Quantum's first long sail (Dec '14) quite by accident.  We knew it was a new ship, we were on Oasis looking for another cruise 15 months prior and cabins were available.  Our travel agent couldn't believe we had a cabin on that sailing because it was filled with D+ and above folks (we were platinum at the time).  But we chose it more for the itinerary and length, we wanted to do a longer cruise and that sail was 11 days and we wanted new stops.  After we were done, we found 11 days was long and we were less than blown away by the ship, haven't been back on Quantum class since.

Our last cruise was strictly itinerary.  We had not done the Southern Caribbean and we ended up having a great vacation on a smaller ship (Adventure).  Our trip coming up in 19 days is based on departure and destination.  We haven't been to Bermuda since our honeymoon 37 years ago and we've never sailed out of Boston even though we live in the suburbs.  We'll be on Serenade, our smallest ship to date.

We're already thinking about the next one and I think itinerary will be at the top of the list.  My dream cruise is the Mediterranean.  We had booked one for August '18, but life got in the way and we had to cancel it 6 months prior.  We will definitely be looking at that one again although we will have to book it for '21 if we do.  Going back to the Southern Caribbean is also possible given how much we enjoyed it.  Ship no longer matters to us, it's the adventure.

Hope you find one that's good for you.  If you give it a few tries, you'll eventually settle into the criteria that is important to you.

Have you checked airline prices yet ?  Make sure you factor in airfare to SJ before you make any decision.  Depending on what time of you year you are going, the airfare to SJ can be significant.  The southern Caribbean is really beautiful and for a first cruise, I can't imagine a better itinerary.  But I also agree with Matt that the amenities of the Oasis class ships are unmatched anywhere.  You didn't mention whether or not there are children going on this trip.  That could make a difference, depending on the ages.  For teens, I would definitely recommend the Symphony with all of the activities.

Haven't been on Freedom but have been on sister ship Independence, and have been on Symphony.

All Royal ships I've been on so far are amazing, but Symphony really has that wow factor....and it's unique with the zipline, Abyss, and neighbourhoods such as Central Park and Boardwalk.  Shows are incredible and a ton of food options (both included and extra). But I"m sure Freedom is amazing too, so you can't go wrong.

Is ship or itinerary more important to you?  I'd make that my deciding factor, assuming that both options are in your price range.  (Symphony will be up there are its the new ship)

4 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Have you checked airline prices yet ?  Make sure you factor in airfare to SJ before you make any decision.  Depending on what time of you year you are going, the airfare to SJ can be significant.  

Airfares to SJU are shocking!!! 

Scotland to NYC  roughly 12 hrs travel £550 per person, this includes baggage, meals and all drinks.

Right now the cost of Nyc to sju which is roughly 4hrs travel would set me back £750 per person and this includes nothing!! Still have to pay for baggage, meals and drinks. Hopefully these prices drop otherwise my wifes going to have to learn to swim lol

These prices are for june 2020

Just now, mworkman said:

@Ray It's $756 US for me to fly to SJU from FAY $800 if i want to fly from RDU and stick with Delta or its $569 and pay for baggage.

Shocking prices, i could fly to Australia for less lol next cruise i am actually looking at sailing from singapore around asia 

When we flew to San Juan in March '17, we were originally going to book out of Logan in Boston.  I then looked at Newark and the tickets were significantly cheaper, cheap enough to drive 4 hours the day before, book a hotel by the airport that included 7 days parking and airport shuttle, and still save several hundred dollars.  

It pays to look around at other options if you can add a day or 2 to the vacation.