Can You Bring and Use Roku Onboard?

My young adult son was wondering if he could bring his small Roku device and use it on his stateroom TV.  He has the Voom & Stream package so he'd be able to connect to WiFi.  I just don't know if RC will allow this and if they do allow, can he set up on his TV?  I told him to just enjoy the cruise without watching the television, but he wants to watch his shows while relaxing before bed.  Has anybody done this before?  We will be on the Harmony of the Seas.

Have not been on the HoS yet... (going in Sep.)... but from what I remember on the Allure and the Oasis... while you might have access to an HDMI port on the TV... the Remote control does not have an option to change the source/feed. I have seen some videos on youtube, of people taking a universal remote to change the source/feed on the TV in order to do what you are talking about. So, it is possible in some cases. Just not sure about on this particular boat. 

18 minutes ago, vanelli56 said:

while you might have access to an HDMI port on the TV... the Remote control does not have an option to change the source/feed

I have read somewhere on these boards that people have had success asking the cabin attendant for a remote that will change the input but I have not yet tried this myself! 

• 7 months later...

HOW TO USE ROKU/AMAZON PRIME ON ROYAL CARIBBEAN

We were on Harmony of the Seas in early February 2020. We used Roku and Amazon Prime on the cabin tv.

Here's what you'll need. First, you need onboard wifi. We bought a wifi package for one device (my cell phone). Second, you need a universal tv remote. I bought one for $7 at Dollar General. Third, you'll need to install the Roku app on your phone.

Here's what to do. First, you need to pair the universal remote to the tv. The instructions will be in the package with the remote. Second, make sure that your device is logged onto the onboard wifi. Third, you need to change the input on the TV. This is why you need the universal remote. There will be an option called Mirror. Fourth, on your phone, check the settings for a function that allows you to mirror the phone. I have a Samsung S10 and there is a function called Smart View. Press Smart View and wait for it to pair to the tv. Once you do that, anything you have on your phone screen will be mirrored on the tv. You can then open Roku or Amazon Prime or whatever app you want. Whatever is on your phone will be on the tv screen.

We were in 14562 and the only problem we had was that the wifi signal was spotty at times.

• 3 years later...

Just wrapping up a cruise on the Quantum of the Seas and we used our Roku stick with no issues.

First you need WiFi and this will count as one device so while the Roku is using it you can't use wifi on your phone for instance.

Second, push the bar behind the left side of the TV to release the hinge on the TV mount. The TV can now swing away from the wall. Plug in your Roku stick.

After swing the TV back and clicking into place, turn the TV on. On the bottom of the TV there is a single power button. If you push this once with the TV on it will bring up a TV menu at the bottom of the screen. Power will be highlight/enlarge/selected. Each time you push the button it will move the selected item to the right one. Click until Input is selected. Then you want to press and hold. The TV will change input to the Roku. Now you can go about setting it up the connection as you would in any hotel. Use or phone to connected to the Roku wifi and then log into the ships wifi.

Note: when you turn off the TV it will reset to the TV input so you'll need to just use the button on the bottom of the screen to change input again or just leave the TV on and let the Roku screen saver play.

Don't forget the cruise ship TV has a lot of good info on it so be sure to check out the info on there too. It's not like you watch a lot of TV while cruising but towards the end of the cruise when the family was exhausted and it was just a day at seas, it was so nice to have our movies and TV channels with us. Kids could watch their favorite movies and hubby could watch the Indy 500 and MLB games.