Packing for Jan cruise leaving NJ, going to Bahamas?

As I start to shop for items to put together a wardrobe of clothes to pack for this New Years cruise this coming winter on Anthem, I realized that I need to have a range of clothes to cover starting in a New Jersey/ NYC winter...to the Bahamas and back to winter....  anyone have any tips on how to do this?  I am assuming layers are key?!   I know that a lot of Anthem is enclosed, but  was curious as to when people change over from their 'winter wear' to their ' i'm on vacation summer wear', during the course of the trip down the Atlantic coast ... ?

When I cruised Anthem in December and January I experienced what I called "Long Pants" days and "Shorts" days.  

The ship is heated so it's not like you'll need to bundle up around the ship.  Layers would be overkill, its not an Alaskan cruise.  

Maybe through in an extra pair of long pants in your suit case.  You'll likely be wearing a coat on your way to the ship to embark and that's all I needed for those occasions i ventured outside on northern sea days.

I'm booked in early January next year.  I'll simply bring an extra pair of jeans.     

When I sailed Anthem last October we were already getting down into the 40s for regular daytime temps. I already had the chinos I normally wear to dinner packed, and simply wore one of them along with a casual long-sleeve shirt for embarkation day as well as debark. That, plus my leather jacket was enough. By day 2, even though we were going southeast rather than due south, I was already in shorts and a t-shirt for wandering around the interior of the ship; a bit chilly for walking around the outside mind you, at least until the afternoon.

In January, it may take until the third day before you'll feel comfortable walking around the track in shorts and a t-shirt, but if you stick to the solarium pool area and don't plan on visiting the SeaPlex early on, you really should only need warm clothes for the first and last days.

Pinging @J_Keeble, as I recall he did an Anthem sailing in late November last year or year before, when we were having an early winter and there was already snow in the air.

15 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

When I sailed Anthem last October we were already getting down into the 40s for regular daytime temps. I already had the chinos I normally wear to dinner packed, and simply wore one of them along with a casual long-sleeve shirt for embarkation day as well as debark. That, plus my leather jacket was enough. By day 2, even though we were going southeast rather than due south, I was already in shorts and a t-shirt for wandering around the interior of the ship; a bit chilly for walking around the outside mind you, at least until the afternoon.

In January, it may take until the third day before you'll feel comfortable walking around the track in shorts and a t-shirt, but if you stick to the solarium pool area and don't plan on visiting the SeaPlex early on, you really should only need warm clothes for the first and last days.

Pinging @J_Keeble, as I recall he did an Anthem sailing in late November last year or year before, when we were having an early winter and there was already snow in the air.

Thanks you guys!  These help a lot!  I think i got it......   I am figuring it is probably pretty nippy in NJ/NYC around NYE, from the looks of the folks at Time Square usually...lol    I will be going up there from the Louisville, Ky area... so it's kinda wacky.. to go from here to the cold NORTH and then far SOUTH all in one week! lol 

16 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

2 hours ago, twangster said:

When I cruised Anthem in December and January I experienced what I called "Long Pants" days and "Shorts" days.  

The ship is heated so it's not like you'll need to bundle up around the ship.  Layers would be overkill, its not an Alaskan cruise.  

Maybe through in an extra pair of long pants in your suit case.  You'll likely be wearing a coat on your way to the ship to embark and that's all I needed for those occasions i ventured outside on northern sea days.

I'm booked in early January next year.  I'll simply bring an extra pair of jeans.     

1 minute ago, kittysoul said:

I am figuring it is probably pretty nippy in NJ/NYC around NYE, from the looks of the folks at Time Square usually...lol

NJ / NY weather can vary pretty widely around NYE, but for sure expect temps no higher than mid- or upper-30s. It could be down in the teens or even below zero if the Polar Vortex comes spinning our way at that time of year, although this year it didn't show up until late January.

4 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

NJ / NY weather can vary pretty widely around NYE, but for sure expect temps no higher than mid- or upper-30s. It could be down in the teens or even below zero if the Polar Vortex comes spinning our way at that time of year, although this year it didn't show up until late January.

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

When I debarked Anthem in January 2018 there was snow on the ground.  Yikes!

Brrrrrr...........I guess I better wear me mittens!  ?

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 2:29 PM, JLMoran said:

I sailed in November 2017 and I believe NYC had its coldest winter for some years or that they said it was never normally this cold in October but it certainly was wooly hat weather. I  wished I packed a bigger coat! but departing from NY it was cold, to the extent where you would need a jumper to be on top deck. Being English me and grace my fiancé endured the cold and had the whole pool deck / hot tub to ourselves for the first couple of days. by day 2 the weather started to warm and day 3 was bright sunshine. if you can get robes from the ship I would certainly recommend that.

@kittysoul when are you going? just seen its January haha, I would certainly suggest a few jumpers. :)

As has already been stated, prepare for downright cold days while you are near NJ and the East Coast, once you get out to see and closer to the Bahamas expect the temps to increase.  We sailed this year in March and we wore pants and long sleeves for the first several days and back into shorts and then into pants when we got close to NJ.  It was still a wonderful time, and has already been stated, there is QUITE a bit to do indoors without going outside so you will have a great time, just be prepared for the cold and warm weather.  

On 6/28/2019 at 9:09 AM, twangster said:

Correction, debarking December 2017:

Brrrr....

SZzCnBR.jpg

I remembered a similar picture and thought of it when I read the heading.

I left Oklahoma on a trip in December to Calgary, I had packed my coat because it was 80 in Oklahoma, quickly dug it out in Calgary when there was 6" of snow on the ground.