Disembarkation FLL

Against my better judgement I booked an early flight (10:30 am) for our Adventure cruise this month out of FLL.  The cost was just to tempting.  Because of the time we plan to carry our luggage off.  I've never done the self assist before.   Do we just head towards the gangway as early as we can or is there some type of notification we need to do?  Since the port is so close to airport I think we can make it provided the ship is not late arriving in port.  As always I appreciate all the help and experience of the group.

Some ships will place a departure questionnaire in your cabin a few days into the cruise.  It's worded like you need to request self-assist.  That isn't the case.   You can just do self-assist without any action on your part, just walk off the ship with all your luggage at the designated time.

When luggage tags are delivered there will be a departure letter placed in your cabin.  

Here is an Adventure departure letter from 2018:

Adventure Deprture Letter.pdf

Note that self assist is directed to go to the Lyric Theater on deck 4 between 6:16am and 7:30am.

Simply bring all your luggage with you and head down.  Ignore the numbered luggage tags left with the departure letter, do not place your luggage in the hall the night before.

If you desire to be at the front of the self assist line you will need to go down before the posted start time for self assist.  (not required for a 10:30am flight unless you arrive late into port)

Nothing you need to notify them about ahead of time, just don't leave your bags outside your room the last night. They will announce self assist once they are cleared and you can head out. I would recommend waiting in a lounge or area near the gangway if you want to be quick on the draw.

14 minutes ago, twangster said:

Some ships will place a departure questionnaire in your cabin a few days into the cruise.  It's worded like you need to request self-assist.  That isn't the case.   You can just do self-assist without any action on your part, just walk off the shipwa with all your luggage at the designated time.

When luggage tags are delivered there will be a departure letter placed in your cabin.  

Adventure Deprture Letter.pdf 431.51 kB · 2 downloads

Note that self assist is directed to go to the Lyric Theater on deck 4 between 6:16am and 7:30am.

Simply bring all your luggage with you and head down.  Ignore the numbered luggage tags left with the departure letter, do not place your luggage in the hall the night before.

If you desire to be at the front of the self assist line you will need to go down before the posted start time for self assist.  (not required for a 10:30am flight unless you arrive late into port)

Wish I could put @twangster in my pocket ?? while I’m on the cruise ... u are just that great! ??

13 hours ago, twangster said:

Some ships will place a departure questionnaire in your cabin a few days into the cruise.  It's worded like you need to request self-assist.  That isn't the case.   You can just do self-assist without any action on your part, just walk off the ship with all your luggage at the designated time.

Adventure Deprture Letter.pdf 431.51 kB · 4 downloads

Read the PDF and the suite guests depart first. What if you want to eat breakfast? There's no breakfast on disembarkation?

30 minutes ago, 12thman said:

Read the PDF and the suite guests depart first. What if you want to eat breakfast? There's no breakfast on disembarkation?

Breakfast hours are shown on the first page in the gray box to the right.  Windjammer opens at 6am, MDR at 6:30am.  Times specific to my cruise, your cruise may differ.

Suite guests debark AFTER self-assist has started.  Self assist at 6:15am to 7:30am, Suite guests start at 7:30am.  However it does tend to blur together.  

In reality, when the ship first pulls up, no luggage has been offloaded by the forklifts on the dock yet.  Self assist have all their luggage with them, so this doesn't matter.  They can start to debark since they have all their luggage with them. 

There would be little point for anyone else (non self-assist) to debark until their tagged luggage with a number that they placed in the hall the night before has actually been offloaded and is waiting in the terminal.  A suite guest could get off the ship at 6:15am and stand around in the terminal for an hour for their luggage, while a self assist guest has all their luggage with them.  You must have all your luggage with you before reaching customs and immigration.  For self- assist guests - they do have all their luggage and can walk straight through to customs.  If a suite guest tries to debark early, they get to sit in the terminal waiting for their luggage before they can approach customs.  

If a suite guest or C&A member decides to use self-assist, they have no special line or treatment - they join the self assist line like everyone else.  As a Diamond Plus I often use self-assist but I don't get to say to someone else in the self-assist line "I'm a D+, you're not, I get to to move up in line"  It doesn't work that way.  I stand in line based on what time I got there even if one hundred never cruised before got in line first before me. In that case I am #101 and nothing more.  

5 minutes ago, 12thman said:

Sorry, reading this on my phone must have enlarged the file too much. So if one has breakfast and you miss your time slot when do you get off? (If you're not doing self assist)

No worries.  Let's say you have luggage tag 15 but you eat breakfast and find they are now at luggage tag 22.  You must stay on for the next cruise.  Just kidding! 

Think of it like "Now calling anyone who has tags 1-10".  Twenty minutes later "Now calling anyone who has tags 1 - 15".  Twenty minutes later "Now calling anyone with tags 1-20" and so on. If you finish breakfast and they are now calling 1-30 then you are free to debark if your luggage tags are less than 30. 

21 minutes ago, twangster said:

No worries.  Let's say you have luggage tag 15 but you eat breakfast and find they are now at luggage tag 22.  You must stay on for the next cruise.  Just kidding! 

Think of it like "Now calling anyone who has tags 1-10".  Twenty minutes later "Now calling anyone who has tags 1 - 15".  Twenty minutes later "Now calling anyone with tags 1-20" and so on. If you finish breakfast and they are now calling 1-30 then you are free to debark if your luggage tags are less than 30. 

Most of the times I saw that the numbers are just crowd control  , all the luggage are ready (in Miami for example)  but they do not want everyone wait on endless lines for the customs