Jump to content
Royal Caribbean Blog

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, coneyraven said:

I am so sorry to hear this ..... Granted, what happened just totally sucks, but please, don't let this unforeseen accident sway you from taking your first cruises.  At least with the compensation being offered, you're in essence, getting a free cruise, so please, take advantage of it..... you'll be glad you did.

Just reserved on Harmony in August.  Ended up costing about $800 more than first cruise but still grateful got something to my liking.  Just didn't want to book in summer when kids are out.  The less kids the better since I have 4 of my own and it's an anniversary trip.....lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spooky strange.... Please let me know when you have a dream about a middle-aged woman in Virginia winning the lottery.   😉😊

Just reserved on Harmony in August.  Ended up costing about $800 more than first cruise but still grateful got something to my liking.  Just didn't want to book in summer when kids are out.  The less

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Barbara T said:

Just reserved on Harmony in August.  Ended up costing about $800 more than first cruise but still grateful got something to my liking.  Just didn't want to book in summer when kids are out.  The less kids the better since I have 4 of my own and it's an anniversary trip.....lol

Awww, come on Mom, whats one little cruise, take them with you, lol. Just kidding.

Glad this worked out for you, as much as I love Oasis, Harmony is my favorite (Have not been on Symphony), you will love her, I will be on her again in October.

Is the cruise out of Port Canaveral in August? If so you might look at your airplane tickets, Orlando/MCO flights have been some of the most expensive I have bought lately from Tulsa.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, twangster said:

Conversely, when Royal came up with the Oasis and Quantum concepts the business model was planned and executed knowing the shipyards in Europe would be required in the long term plan.  That plan was likely built and approved assuming transatlantic sailings for dry dock.  That will continue to be the support model for these mega ships and I for one am glad of that since I get to take transatlantic sailings on them.

 

Carnival came up with the Oasis concept; but, never acted upon it. RCCL bought the plans & tweak it a bit...and whala, an Oasis Class ship was born. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, twangster said:

We are mere guests like yourself so none of us has any inside information but in my opinion, a May 19 cruise is likely to proceed as planned with the information available at this time.

Royal was very quick to email me and text me about my cancellation.  

If I had a cruise and flights booked for May 19 I would assume it's going ahead as planned.  

Thank you; I've been in communication with Royal all morning and they keep saying that the May dates are still scheduled as planed. I did some more research and found out that our airline (Delta)would charge us around $900 to change the international flights which would be covered by the $800 offered by RC as compensation.

In fact, because we're not stuck to our sail date of May 19th, it would be a financially beneficial if they did cancel it because we'd get another cruise out of it for roughly the $100 or so we'd need to pay to change flights. Emotionally it would be a pain to have to move everything though so hoping for the best. Thankfully we booked everything on our own and have complete control over the full process. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

Carnival came up with the Oasis concept; but, never acted upon it. RCCL bought the plans & tweak it a bit...and whala, an Oasis Class ship was born. 

Royal developed Oasis plans using a long time relationship with Wilson Butler.  

Here is one of Wilson Butler's earlier concepts:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2018/02/15/meet-the-oasis-of-the-seas-never-was

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, VinceC said:

From what I was hearing RCI was giving a FULL REFUND and an FREE Equivalent Cruise.   Is this true?

From what I have read, the full refund is for the cruise that was cancelled, minus the cost of any cruise insurance purchased.  As far as a future cruise, the future cruise certificate (FCC) will be in the amount of the cruise fare portion only.  So "free equivalent cruise" isn't exactly accurate but pretty close.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tiny260 said:

Awww, come on Mom, whats one little cruise, take them with you, lol. Just kidding.

Glad this worked out for you, as much as I love Oasis, Harmony is my favorite (Have not been on Symphony), you will love her, I will be on her again in October.

Is the cruise out of Port Canaveral in August? If so you might look at your airplane tickets, Orlando/MCO flights have been some of the most expensive I have bought lately from Tulsa.

Actually got a credit on my Southwest flights of $42 each!  I booked AA there with points and was able to transfer the date on those.

So glad to hear that we will like Harmony better.  I had to talk my husband into a cruise and so I had to choose one of the big ships to do that.  Super bummed about spending my anniversary at home in T-town but guess I have something to look forward to at the end of summer!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, VinceC said:

From what I was hearing RCI was giving a FULL REFUND and an FREE Equivalent Cruise.   Is this true?

Yep, get full refund and 100% credit of the fare you spent for your cruise.  My cruise rebooked was more expensive though and so it's not free per say but about $1000 off!  I'm glad they did that because I was massively disappointed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

From what I have read, the full refund is for the cruise that was cancelled, minus the cost of any cruise insurance purchased.  As far as a future cruise, the future cruise certificate (FCC) will be in the amount of the cruise fare portion only.  So "free equivalent cruise" isn't exactly accurate but pretty close.

Yeah, my rebooked cruise was more expensive because I booked on Black Friday and got the best deals of the year.  So I'm about $800 for the cruise at this point.  Plus the excursions at the new destinations were more expensive and the key is $70 more with new cruise as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, scottish67 said:

Thank you; I've been in communication with Royal all morning and they keep saying that the May dates are still scheduled as planed. I did some more research and found out that our airline (Delta)would charge us around $900 to change the international flights which would be covered by the $800 offered by RC as compensation.

In fact, because we're not stuck to our sail date of May 19th, it would be a financially beneficial if they did cancel it because we'd get another cruise out of it for roughly the $100 or so we'd need to pay to change flights. Emotionally it would be a pain to have to move everything though so hoping for the best. Thankfully we booked everything on our own and have complete control over the full process. 

I would have much rather kept my cruise since it was my anniversary.  Rebooking everything has been exhausting.  Luckily I'm not out one dime for rebooking flights, hotel, car rental etc.  Glad Royal made it better by the credit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Barbara T said:

I would have much rather kept my cruise since it was my anniversary.  Rebooking everything has been exhausting.  Luckily I'm not out one dime for rebooking flights, hotel, car rental etc.  Glad Royal made it better by the credit.

No question the best thing would have been the original cruise booked, but... glad it worked out for you!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

Carnival came up with the Oasis concept; but, never acted upon it. RCCL bought the plans & tweak it a bit...and whala, an Oasis Class ship was born. 

There’s a great YouTube video on that Carnival project. It’s in the Cancelled series, the same guy does Abandoned as well which have some great footage of long gone Disney projects. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DunkelBierJay said:

I just saw this YouTube video speculating that the starboard azipod is crushed due to the list. There are also reports that the dry dock failed causing a domino effect leading to the collapse. 

Too much speculation based on the same crummy cell phone pictures and video that we have seen.  

"It could have azipod damage..." - it also could not.  We don't know.  He doesn't know.    

Furthermore we don't know if the dry dock failed.  It could be a human error.  It could be control system for the ballast tanks malfunctioned, it could a thousand different things that we will likely never know about.  It could be a Meglodon attacked the dry dock.  It could be aliens.  Shall I go on?  

Kudos to @Matt for not blogging just to blog about something without any concrete information to base the blog on.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, twangster said:

Too much speculation based on the same crummy cell phone pictures and video that we have seen.  

"It could have azipod damage..." - it also could not.  We don't know.  He doesn't know.    

Furthermore we don't know if the dry dock failed.  It could be a human error.  It could be control system for the ballast tanks malfunctioned, it could a thousand different things that we will likely never know about.  It could be a Meglodon attacked the dry dock.  It could be aliens.  Shall I go on?  

Kudos to @Matt for not blogging just to blog about something without any concrete information to base the blog on.  

 

You know, dude...I used the term speculation because I thought the video was interesting. So sorry for sparking your snark ass comment. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

There’s a great YouTube video on that Carnival project. It’s in the Cancelled series, the same guy does Abandoned as well which have some great footage of long gone Disney projects. 

I remember watching that before.  I wonder now if Carnival regrets not going mega.  

Developed at the same time as Oasis and launching the same year, Carnival built the Dream, followed by Magic and Breeze.

2018 Revenues

Dream Class:

Magic  $235,350,000, 242,000 passengers

Breeze $222,040,000, 246,000 passengers

Dream $205,190,000, 245,000 passengers

Oasis Class:

Harmony $485,570,000, 295,000 passengers

Allure $422,500,000, 313,000 passengers

Oasis $404,340,000, 307,000 passengers

Symphony $396,500,000, 171,000 passengers (9 months in service)

 

Revenue from Magic and Breeze combined is still less than Harmony alone. 

I've sailed all seven ships on this list.  Oasis class was and still is a game changer. 

That poor architect from Carnival has to be beside himself seeing how successful Oasis class has become.    

IMO, MSC Seaside looks a lot closer to Carnival's concept ship than Oasis does.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Barbara T said:

Actually got a credit on my Southwest flights of $42 each!  I booked AA there with points and was able to transfer the date on those.

So glad to hear that we will like Harmony better.  I had to talk my husband into a cruise and so I had to choose one of the big ships to do that.  Super bummed about spending my anniversary at home in T-town but guess I have something to look forward to at the end of summer!

 

Just have your husband take you downtown to the Bull in the Ally for dinner and make a night of it.

Not the same as Chops on an O class cruise in the middle of Caribbean, but if you have lemons make lemonade.

I love all of the O class ships (Been on Allure 3 times) but I have a soft spot for Harmony, took my first Mediterranean cruise on her right after she came out of being built.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...