Jump to content
Royal Caribbean Blog


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

scottish67's Achievements


Gold (2/7)



  1. May I inquire as to what the source is that states the lifts won't be operating? The email from RC earlier today suggested that the Aqua theatre will be repaired in time for 5/5 and makes no mention of only a partial repair. Thanks!
  2. Looks like they might be ready: https://www.instagram.com/p/BwUWv5fikp4/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=16dqu7wjih5l3
  3. I’m not sure those photos are up to date? It looks like they were taken shortly after the incident happened because a picture I saw posted by a crew member (with the theater in the background) showed a different story. They’ve also apparently been working on the theater during the journey so hopefully it’s ready by 5/5.
  4. I believe she is headed on her own (potentially full) power as the tracker showed her moving at 18.7knts. Per google, her cruising speed is 22knts so she was almost at normal power. I doubt they'd be going that fast if being towed.
  5. Would it be safe to assume they’ve removed the fallen crane since the ship is moving around? The pictures from yesterday with the damage from the crane looked horrible.
  6. YES! That’s exactly what we’re planning to do if our 5/19 sailing ends up cancelled.
  7. Thank you; I've been in communication with Royal all morning and they keep saying that the May dates are still scheduled as planed. I did some more research and found out that our airline (Delta)would charge us around $900 to change the international flights which would be covered by the $800 offered by RC as compensation. In fact, because we're not stuck to our sail date of May 19th, it would be a financially beneficial if they did cancel it because we'd get another cruise out of it for roughly the $100 or so we'd need to pay to change flights. Emotionally it would be a pain to have to move everything though so hoping for the best. Thankfully we booked everything on our own and have complete control over the full process.
  8. Hey everyone, i just saw this news last night and are very concerned because we are on Oasis for the May 19th, 2019 sailing. RC is saying that date isn’t affected at this time but it certainly could change. How likely is it that our cruise will be cancelled as well? We’re flying from Los Angeles to Barcelona and I’m trying to come up with contingency plans. Does anyone know if it’s possible for us to add travel insurance at this late stage? We purchased the trip insurance through RC when we booked over a year ago. I also have insurance on the flights (we booked ourselves through Delta) but it looks like that only covers illnesses and the like. Thanks everyone and I’m so sorry for those whose cruise was cancelled; I can’t even imagine the stress.
  9. I’d double check to make sure the price still is cheaper before calling. When I originally started this topic there was a price difference in what I paid, however, by the time I was going to call Royal Caribbean, the price had changed again. To me it wasn’t worth going through the hassle as the update price was only $25 or so cheaper than what I had paid.
  10. Hi everyone! We paid our final balance for our upcoming western Mediterranean cruise on Oasis of the Seas prior to the due date in February. I checked this afternoon to see if there were any suites left and while there isn't, I noticed that the overall cost for our room type (Ocean View Balcony) has dropped by about $350. The room is in the exact same category on the same deck (12) on the opposite side of the ship (we don't care which side we're on). We'd lose out on the $75 on board credit, however, it would still be a savings of about $275. Is there any point in contacting RC to see if they'll make a price adjustment? I booked everything myself and didn't use a travel agent. We understand that since it's past the final payment date there might be nothing that can be done. Thank you!
  11. Thanks! Is it worth setting up an after cruise transfer with Royal Caribbean or should we be okay waiting for a taxi? Our return flight doesn't depart Barcelona until 12:45pm so we shouldn't be too rushed.
  12. Anyone have any feedback on the Port of Barcelona? Leaving from there in May and would like to know if it's easy/difficult to navigate. Thanks!
  13. Thanks for the feedback everyone. We're not in a Junior Suite right now which is why I'm even considering it (we're in a regular Ocean View Balcony on Deck 12). From what I can tell, 3 of the 4 remaining Junior Suites available for our sail date would be acceptable to us (higher deck away from a possible noise area). If we bid the minimum ($200/person) does anyone have any idea if we have a chance it will be accepted? I'm a bit of a control freak and don't like the idea of not hearing anything until 24hrs before we depart. I suppose i could always cancel it if we haven't heard anything and it's a week away though. I made the mistake of watching a youtube video of the Junior suite and the extra space is incredibly appealing...
  14. Hi everyone. My wife was sent an RoyalUp offer for our upcoming May cruise. Although I didn’t receive one even though we’re in the same cabin, I had a question I’d appreciate help on. We love our current room selection (Deck 12 Ocean view balcony) but are considering submitting a bid for a junior suite. If the bid is accepted, do we get to pick which junior suite we want? The concern is that we’ll win the bid and then be put into a suite in a less desirable location. Thank you!
  15. After a brief 20min phone call, the representative I spoke with was able to change our dining time to 7:30pm every night! I'm also now able to see the "modify" button on my cruise planner so I can make any further adjustments myself. [email protected] for the help! 90 days and counting to our first cruise!
  • Create New...