Another Question

I have decided on a ship (Oasis) and a cabin category (Sky class)-last decision is itinerary.  I'm looking at January or February of 2020.  I know from experience that Nassau and Freeport are not warm enough for my southern self until at least May.  That leaves out CocoCay.  I have three choices, all from Miami: 

1. Falmouth Jamaica, Cozumel and Labadee

2. Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas, San Juan and Labadee

3.Philllipsburg St Maarten, San Juan and Labadee.

I welcome any and all advice as to which is better.  The price varies about $600 between the three choices, so a factor, but not a huge one.

Thank you.  We have been to Jamaica to an all-inclusive resort in Negril, but not to the Falmouth area.  My husband is checking golfing in Scotland off his bucket list in August, and while he's gone, I'm doing a cruise to Havana and Cozumel with a friend.  Other than that, we have not been to any of the other ports.  We did one Caribbean cruise, Disney, years ago, and did not like it-not enough for adults in our opinion.  But we had a great time on a cruise in northern Europe in  August and want some warm weather, so we are giving it another shot.  We like to learn and explore and laze on the beach.  I am a history buff. 

I'd opt for the St. Maarten - San Juan - Labadee itinerary. San Juan has a fantastic walkable historic center. And while I'm not familiar with the tours in St. Maarten, I imagine they would be interesting, explaining the background of the island's split between French and Dutch control.

15 minutes ago, KJones said:

I'd opt for the St. Maarten - San Juan - Labadee itinerary. San Juan has a fantastic walkable historic center. And while I'm not familiar with the tours in St. Maarten, I imagine they would be interesting, explaining the background of the island's split between French and Dutch control.

As soon as OP said history buff, San Juan came to mind..so I agree with this suggestion.  San Juan will have a lot of history..Labadee is your beach day and St. Maarten has a lot to offer as well...probably will be the most difficult port to figure out exactly what you want to do!

San Juan is rich in history.  El Morro is easily reached from the ship by taxi or even walking if you are into long walks.  The Old San Juan city is a favorite of mine.  

All include Labadee which is a private destination for Royal Caribbean.  Labadee is not a port where you leave the port area and visit the country, it's really a beach day.  My recommendations are either Nellie's Beach or Columbus Cove.  

Both St Thomas and St Maarten have their strengths.  There is a beach near the St. Maarten cruise port, a 15 minute walk or a $7 water taxi ride.  St Thomas has the beautiful Magens Bay Beach which requires a taxi or excursion to reach.  Both offer many excursions beyond a simple beach day.

I would also recommend either of the itineraries that include San Juan. The itineraries should list the arrival and departure time for each, and I would advise going with whichever one gives you the most hours in port. Several itineraries leave San Juan at 2 PM, which makes for a pretty rushed day if you want to see the historical sites like El Morro and really have a chance to explore and and learn all the history there.

Out of the other ports in your options, I've only been to St. Maarten; it is absolutely beautiful and is definitely my favorite Caribbean port of call so far. Lots of people here have done excursions (usually booked directly instead of with Royal) that cover a lot of the island and also talk about its history while also giving some beach / relaxation time, so it's definitely something that could check off both boxes.