Wines Around The World Tasting Class

4 hours ago, KristiZ said:

For sure, especially if you're a wine novice! We've done this several times, because the wines change depending on the year/region/sommelier's personal choice. It's not pretentious at all, so don't be intimidated!

Do you remember how long it ends up being? If I decide to get it for someone as a gift can I hang out and watch without paying if I don’t drink at all? 

If you are wine novices, I would caution you that there is a real possibility that the selection by the sommelier may not be to your liking. On our most recent cruise, all of the wines were dry and hearty - perfect for me but not to the liking of ANY of the other 7 people at the table, all of whom were experienced wine drinkers (but none who I would classify as oenophiles).

Proceed with caution. You should be able to book onboard for the same price available in the Cruise Planner, so it might be wise to inquire onboard about what varietals may be included in the tasting ahead of reserving.

I did this on Anthem once.  It was somewhat a mass event and performed in the dining room.  That may depend on how many sign up.  

It was okay.  I enjoyed it because it exposed me to new wines I might not otherwise sample but it didn't so impress me that I'll make it a regular "must do" activity.

Normally a tasting like this would be accompanied with cheese or other small bites to neutralize your palette between samples.  Those were weak for my tasting.  Better cheese is available in the Windjammer every night for dinner.   

12 hours ago, spiralqueen said:

Do you remember how long it ends up being? If I decide to get it for someone as a gift can I hang out and watch without paying if I don’t drink at all? 

This last one took about an hour. It depends on how chatty the sommelier is ? 

Yes, I think you could watch and not drink, since it's usually done in the MDR where people can sit and read, play games, etc.

• 9 months later...

I have done this activity twice now, On Anthem, and Navigator. Both times the wines were the same. Both times, there were cheeses and fruit offered and the sommelier was quite good at describing the wine, and how food can interact and change the taste of the wine that you are drinking. 

If you are new to wine, or tend to drink only one varietal, this may be a good activity for you, since it will introduce you to new wines etc.

If you are an experienced wine drinker you may not learn anything, and the amount of wine in each glass may not be worth it to you for the cost. FWIW, I wont be doing this class again. 

Here were the wines offered.

IMG_2093.thumb.JPEG.08a9615d281d96df511f9306b178e48c.JPEG

signed up for this last year on symphony with my wife, my sister and her husband in the wine bar in central park but it was cancelled as not enough other people had signed up for our time slot.  the manager of that location did not ask about helping us sign up for another spot, offering another special, talking about anything else...he just said it's cancelled, you will be refunded, have a nice day.  was not impressed, one of the very few low lights of that trip.

On 3/17/2019 at 8:29 PM, Nicolas LaBarre said:

Is this a fun activity? Is it worth paying for? My wife and I don't have any experience with wine but are open to an adventure. What do you think? Have you done this activity?

Not a wine fan.  Had a few that were alright.  My wife likes a few wines that our friend have introduced.  We want to go to a wine tasting, but never seem to find time to fit it in our schedules.  So, we are making sure we go while on the our cruise.  Nowhere to be for 7 days I think we can find the time to go!