Next cruise - Alaska ?

BTE

I'm thinking about booking my next cruise to Alaska. Should I wait until I'm on my Allure cruise 1/27 & go to the next cruise desk or do you experienced cruisers use a TA to just handle it. If so any recommendations on a TA. I used my daughters friend who is a TA in Oklahoma City but he's more into Mexico exclusives so I'd rather use a TA who's all about cruises. Appreciate any insight.

Also was looking at going in Aug 2019. Is this a good time?

42 minutes ago, BTE said:

Should I wait until I'm on my Allure cruise 1/27 & go to the next cruise desk or do you experienced cruisers use a TA to just handle it

These days I recommend booking it as soon as you know you want to go.  The risk of waiting and price going up could offset any onboard booking benefits. Not saying it would happen, but you never know.

Very big toss up on having a balcony. One good thing is being able to have a view all the time.

When viewing the glacier I'm sure it is more impressive being out on deck with a more expansive view. On the flip side it is nice having your own private viewing space. When I did Alaska we had a balcony.

Now one good thing about an inside is complete darkness when trying to sleep. Balcony you'll have some light leak at night.

Personally I think the major decision is round trip(7) or north(7)/south(7)/both(14).

15 hours ago, BTE said:

So for an Alaska cruise should you book a balcony room or just book an interior (have extra money toward excursions maybe) & do all your viewing from various decks. Appreciate any thoughts

After my first Alaska cruise, I felt getting a balcony was not as critical as others said it was. Sure, it was nice. But there were plenty of viewing opportunities from public areas even during glacier viewing. 

I shared my experience in this blog post: 6 mistakes & 3 things we did right on our Royal Caribbean cruise to Alaska

13 hours ago, BTE said:

Appreciate everyone's input. Got a cabin held currently for August 2019 on Ovation

Just got off the phone with Michelle at mei-travel & put down a deposit on my August 2019 Ovation cruise. So pumped as I've always wanted to go but my wife taught school so always had a narrow window but she retired. Yeah for me!