Fogged in in Tampa

KJ1231

Brilliance and Rhapsody still docked in Tampa and no ETA when we will depart due to fog....

In 2018 you would think they could sail using electronics - like planes in the clouds? Not sure at what point we’ll lose ports.... Grand Cayman after a cruising day and then Cozumel with another cruising day before returning to Tampa is the itinerary

Was wondering what was going on when Cruisemapper showed both ships still in the channel, been an eventful couple of weeks for Rhapsody.  Hope you don't lose a port KJ.  I'm on the sailing next week, I can see the same thing possibly happening then too.  Long range forecast looks unsettled.

Been there done that a couple of times ... we sat outside the skyway until about 4pm waiting to get clearance to head in and dock a couple of years ago. Its a rough sea day for everyone involved, luggage is all packed so no changes of clothing, etc. and the crew is geared up for turnover not passenger entertainment.

Sailing across the gulf today and thinking about the time spent looking and purchasing excursions at the least expensive price. I had the least expensive prices for 6 excursions in Grand Cayman (3x2 people) and all obviously canceled. Then because my wife and daughter had their hearts set on swimming with dolphins they decided to cancel the Tulum Ruins/beach break that I had the least expensive price on. Instead my wife and daughter are doing the dolphin “thing ” at full price and my son and I decided to do the Xplor with 13 zip lines... I’m psyched for that even if it was $209 pp. Bottom line - I spent time at least every other day for the last 5 months looking at the cruise planner all for naught ? 

And the TP-Link works great....

Off topic, kind of, but tied into KJ1231's excursion posts.

I know that typically going through RCCL for excursions is more expensive than booking on your own.  However, I am a "what if" kind of traveler, hence, why we also get traveler's insurance.   Yes, it stinks to lose a port, but it would be worse to lose the money for an excursion if you did not read the fine print for the company you are using for the excursion.  Going with RCCL would mean you automatically get refunded since they were not able to make it to the port.

Just now, Pima1988 said:

Off topic, kind of, but tied into KJ1231's excursion posts.

I know that typically going through RCCL for excursions is more expensive than booking on your own.  However, I am a "what if" kind of traveler, hence, why we also get traveler's insurance.   Yes, it stinks to lose a port, but it would be worse to lose the money for an excursion if you did not read the fine print for the company you are using for the excursion.  Going with RCCL would mean you automatically get refunded since they were not able to make it to the port.

Great point.  I was on a Galveston cruise on another line.  Just as we were about to leave a tanker ran aground in the channel.  We spent the night tied up in Galveston.  Both our ship and Liberty behind us reversed the entire itinerary so we could make all ports, just in the reverse order.  I had booked all my excursion through the cruise line.  Everything changed. 

So I may have paid more but I couldn't imagine trying to figure it all out, now at sea on day two with little means to communicate with excursion companies.   I simply had another beer while the cruise line sorted it all out for me.