Question about "The Key"

MrMarc

I decided to try out  "The Key" for my upcoming cruise on Oasis.  I already have reservations for the shows.  I am wondering if I should cancel them since now The Key program says that no reservations are required.

UPDATE - The Facebook person just said that the cruise planner is wrong and that you DO need reservations.

Edited by MrMarc
UPDATE

If I were you, I would keep them juuuuust in case anything changes. I got the Key for an upcoming sailing as well, but I'm still keeping an eye out for entertainment to open up. Also, I believe I read somewhere that reservations are still required for the comedy shows due to the small size of the venue. 

9 minutes ago, spiralqueen said:

Thanks for the update! I was paranoid about something like that, which is why I'm stalking the entertainment section of the cruise planner for my May sailing. When you say "the facebook person" was this a Royal Caribbean employee, or a passenger who had recently used the Key? 

It was on the Royal Caribbean Facebook page chat, so it was an employee.

18 minutes ago, spiralqueen said:

Thanks for the update! I was paranoid about something like that, which is why I'm stalking the entertainment section of the cruise planner for my May sailing. When you say "the facebook person" was this a Royal Caribbean employee, or a passenger who had recently used the Key? 

11 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

It was on the Royal Caribbean Facebook page chat, so it was an employee.

Hmm...Royal reps are notorious for getting their information wrong.  Maybe @Matt can get some clarification for us.  According to a blog post here, you don't need reservations as of December 15th.  That is the main reason why I purchased it for my upcoming Symphony sailing.  I would be interested to know the actual answer on this too.

I'm curious to see what experiences are like with the Key. It seems like something that might be good to give an upgraded feel to a sailing, but the benefits seem to start kind of being not worth it as soon as you get up to a Junior Suite level (and at that point, if you already have a balcony you kind of have to start weighing worth a little). 

47 minutes ago, KLA said:

I'm curious to see what experiences are like with the Key. It seems like something that might be good to give an upgraded feel to a sailing, but the benefits seem to start kind of being not worth it as soon as you get up to a Junior Suite level (and at that point, if you already have a balcony you kind of have to start weighing worth a little). 

As a solo cruiser, it's worth it to me.  When you start looking at a family of 4, I don't see it, but everyone is different.  As an added bonus though, it might annoy the suite guests to have an inside cabin guy(me) sitting with them.

1 hour ago, MrMarc said:

As a solo cruiser, it's worth it to me.  When you start looking at a family of 4, I don't see it, but everyone is different.

I would have to agree. When I priced it out for my family of 4 for the Anthem GC it was over $700! Not worth it at all. It also loses value when you're on a longer sailing.

14 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Hmm...Royal reps are notorious for getting their information wrong.  Maybe @Matt can get some clarification for us.  According to a blog post here, you don't need reservations as of December 15th.  That is the main reason why I purchased it for my upcoming Symphony sailing.  I would be interested to know the actual answer on this too.

I defer to @twangster experience as outlined in the blog post here: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2018/12/04/review-royal-caribbeans-the-key-vip-guest-experience

17 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I have noticed that in all of my future cruises The Key is offered with different benefits compared to my first run experience.  In my inaugural trial of The Key it clearly stated that reservations were required.  Now for my future cruises The Key states:

• Reserved priority seating at shows in the Main Theater, AquaTheater and Studio B. No reservations required pre-cruise or onboard. 

Also this wasn't offered on my 1st run of The Key:

• Priority check-in and boarding. Upon your arrival at the terminal, follow The Key check-in signage to your designated waiting area. 

2 hours ago, MrMarc said:

I am going to keep mine, even though I feel bad if I end up not needing them and it prevents someone else from getting reservations.

I think you're doing the right thing.  You're being considerate, but also need to ensure you have what you're paying for.