What is this elusive "Free room upgrade?"

BigKarl

I was just wondering how many of you have received a "Free room Upgrade" after purchasing your cruise. As a Diamond Plus Member this is one of the perks listed but I guess I am not booking the right cruise or just not lucky enough to receive one of these yet.  There is still hope.  If anyone has been selected for a free room upgrade could you please describe your booking and circumstances.

Has anyone ever heard of Royal upgrading a Grand Suite to an Owners or Royal Suite for free? Are there better Grand Suites on the Jewel I should be aware of and ask to be upgraded to as I am approaching the 75 day mark? I've heard that more cabins become available after the 75th day before embarkation because people change their minds.

• 1 year later...

I was once offered an upgrade to a JS from a D1.  I accepted it.  A couple of weeks later I got another call offering to upgrade me from a JS to a GS.  I did not accept that one as we were more interested in the larger balcony at the time being our JS was on the bulge and the GS wasn't.  However, being offered 2 upgrades for the same sailing was kind of nice.

For my cruise on Jewel in January 2014 we had booked an ocean view but when we arrived for embarkation we had been upgraded to a balcony. No explanation was given and we didn't ask questions -- just said "thank you". At the time there was a lot of weather mayhem going on with airports shutting down due to big storms, and we were checking in fairly late in the day, so it's possible we were the beneficiaries of someone else's misfortune who had to cancel a balcony at last minute. It was also our first cruise with Platinum status.

We were fortunate enough to be upgraded from a Grand Suite to an Owners Suite on Navigator, back in 2012. But that has been the only time. However, on a cruise around Australia and New Zealand, when we originally booked a Grand Suite on Radiance (with $1,000 OBC) we saw the price of all rooms fall dramatically. So we were able to change our booking to an Owners Suite for less that our original booking, even taking into account the loss of the OBC and our deposit (UK ts&cs). Effectively, an upgrade by a different means.