Royal Caribbean Blog

Semi-Live Blog from RCI Loyals on Norwegian Breakaway 10/2-10/17

So for those interested, we are starting a live blog on the Norwegian Breakaway TA. This may be somewhat relevant to RCI cruisers, as we primarily cruise RCI, as we are almost Diamond Plus and this is our first Norwegian Cruise since 1991, so it will basically be new to us. Much of our commentary will be somewhat of a comparison between the two lines. We are very anxious stepping outside our comfort zone of Disney and RCI, but the price was right and itinerary a little different. 

https://thesmallworldfamily.com/2018/09/30/northern-transatlantic-cruise-live-blog-day-1/

You have to look out for the cheap one Ways on Wow or Norwegian.  Also,  a lot of times the cruise lines seem to get good deals on multi city flights as well.  We did a Barcelona to Dubai reposition and the CruiseLine had the cheapest flights by far of everything I checked.

1 hour ago, Boston Babe said:

@Rimmit, that is terrible about the phone.  I wonder sometimes.. anyway, love love love your blogs, you always seem to go with the flow!  I will be following!! Have a safe and wonderful trip!   

Thanks!   We have travelled a lot and have so many things happen over the years it’s hard to shock us at this point.  On an even worse note I had my camera stolen from me in Indianapolis in April from my hotel room... along with our snacks and hair gel.   That was truly crushing as my camera is practically a third child to me.

Wow, I hope your daughter is feeling better now! Just a short-term virus?

It's really cool how you and your wife will alternate writing the day's blog, yet you have such similar writing styles that until I see a reference to one of you that I can't immediately tell who's writing.

And for sure, whenever I make my way out to Copenhagen for a Norway or Baltic cruise I will be getting that Copenhagen Card. Sounds like in the two days you've been there, you more than got back your original investment.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2018 at 1:10 PM, JLMoran said:

Wow, I hope your daughter is feeling better now! Just a short-term virus?

It's really cool how you and your wife will alternate writing the day's blog, yet you have such similar writing styles that until I see a reference to one of you that I can't immediately tell who's writing.

And for sure, whenever I make my way out to Copenhagen for a Norway or Baltic cruise I will be getting that Copenhagen Card. Sounds like in the two days you've been there, you more than got back your original investment.

I think it was just jet lag.  She always seemed to complain of feeling ill in the evenings the first couple days in copenhagen, but was fine during the day.  No fever, no diarrhea, just random nausea.

We have EXTREMELY similar writing styles, which is kinda freaky actually.  She does most of the writing, but it's a lot of writing so I pitch in every now and then.  I tend to be more detail oriented and logistics and she is just more of an overview.  You can tell the difference in that I can bog down in details sometimes.  Thanks for reading.  Now that we are on land we can finish it out.  NCL internet is .99/minute!!!  It's ridiculous.  We'd go broke doing this blog.

Here is day #5. 

http://thesmallworldfamily.com/2018/10/17/northern-transatlantic-cruise-live-blog-day-5/

I absolutely love your blogs! Can't wait to read about the rest of the cruise. 

I have one question though, can you please correct that Netto is a Danish grocery store, and not a Swedish? (Danes and Swedes have always been in competition and it really kills me that you got this one wrong 😅)

4 hours ago, boomle said:

I absolutely love your blogs! Can't wait to read about the rest of the cruise. 

I have one question though, can you please correct that Netto is a Danish grocery store, and not a Swedish? (Danes and Swedes have always been in competition and it really kills me that you got this one wrong 😅)

Thank you for catching that.  Please don’t hesitate to let us know if there are any other mistakes.  Hopefully no Danish or swedish people saw it.  It’d be like calling ABBA or IKEA Danish.  Lol.  I have since corrected that.

4 hours ago, Susie said:

Love, love, love.... your blog. We always take our son with us anywhere we go so I can relate to you guys. We took him to the cruise since he was 2.5 years old.

Keep it coming. 

Thanks for the kind words.  Glad to hear you took your son when he was young.  It always kills me when I hear people say you are crazy to take a kid/baby on a cruise.  It’s the best vacation with a baby/young child and we’ve tried pretty much every kind.  Please let us know if there any particular topics or articles you’d like to see.  We want to write what people want to read.  

Just now, Rimmit said:

Thanks for the kind words.  Glad to hear you took your son when he was young.  It always kills me when I hear people say you are crazy to take a kid/baby on a cruise.  It’s the best vacation with a baby/young child and we’ve tried pretty much every kind.  Please let us know if there any particular topics or articles you’d like to see.  We want to write what people want to read.  

Yes, took our son with us was harder to manage but that what we want and will not change anything. He will always go with us anywhere. He is now 6 years old. November 17, we will be on Anthem OTC and will be his 4th cruises. 

So far we have been cruising with RCI and not try other lines yet. We did book MSC Seaside for August 2019 and thinking to try Norwegian cruise sometimes in the future. 

1 hour ago, Susie said:

Yes, took our son with us was harder to manage but that what we want and will not change anything. He will always go with us anywhere. He is now 6 years old. November 17, we will be on Anthem OTC and will be his 4th cruises. 

So far we have been cruising with RCI and not try other lines yet. We did book MSC Seaside for August 2019 and thinking to try Norwegian cruise sometimes in the future. 

Our kids travel with us 99 percent of the time, and they have never cruised without them.  They have logged countless days on cruise ships at this point.

We were going to go on the Anthem on the Nov. 25th sailing 11 nighter southern caribbean.  Did the 12 night in 2017. We cx'ed last minute though and took a penalty as we got a killer deal on some airfare to Europe, so we will do some independent land exploring of Paris, Prague, Budapest and Moscow.  Not nearly as relaxing as a cruise, but should be an adventure.  We will definitely be regretting it a little when we are freezing to death in Moscow instead of laying on a warm caribbean beach, lol.

Saw you were on the Grandeur earlier this year.  We did the 12 night sailing in the end of march.  Were you on it by chance?

We have done every major US cruiseline, and we feel RCI is the best bang for buck, esp with kids.  Disney is better for kids,  but it’s double to triple the cost and we only do it on occasion.  We have never done MSC but I’d love to hear your opinion when you do one.

Day #9

https://thesmallworldfamily.com/2018/10/21/northern-transatlantic-cruise-live-blog-day-9/

1 hour ago, Rimmit said:

We have never done MSC but I’d love to hear your opinion when you do one.

A few of us (mainly loyal to Royal people) here have sailed the Seaside.  This post offers a good comparison.  They are not Royal.  But they are definitely good competition for Royal.  I also did a live blog from the Seaside.  I can PM you if you are interested.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5984-msc-seaside-thoughts-from-a-mostly-loyal-to-royal-family/&tab=comments#comment-63785

2 hours ago, Rimmit said:

Our kids travel with us 99 percent of the time, and they have never cruised without them.  They have logged countless days on cruise ships at this point.

We were going to go on the Anthem on the Nov. 25th sailing 11 nighter southern caribbean.  Did the 12 night in 2017. We cx'ed last minute though and took a penalty as we got a killer deal on some airfare to Europe, so we will do some independent land exploring of Paris, Prague, Budapest and Moscow.  Not nearly as relaxing as a cruise, but should be an adventure.  We will definitely be regretting it a little when we are freezing to death in Moscow instead of laying on a warm caribbean beach, lol.

Saw you were on the Grandeur earlier this year.  We did the 12 night sailing in the end of march.  Were you on it by chance?

Day #9

https://thesmallworldfamily.com/2018/10/21/northern-transatlantic-cruise-live-blog-day-9/

Yes, we were on Grandeur this year 12 night during Easter 2018, March 24-April 5. It was so much fun, we were on the beach most stop. My favorite is St. Lucia and St. Kitts. St. Lucia we did the all-day tour to a plantation, a beach, a volcano, and a waterfall. My husband found the tour on the Internet and book it online. For St. Kitts we did the beach forgot the name. The water was so calm and clear, the fishes came right to you and next to the restaurant. We rent the umbrella and 2x lounge chairs then ordered sushi, whole pizza, and beers.  We live in Maryland that why we are on Grandeur a lot. However, my son getting older and not much to do on Grandeur.             

I am sure you guys will have fun in Europe and Moscow. Can't wait to see your nice pictures.

My aunt will be on MSC Seaside in a few weeks so I should get some feedback from her.  I booked Seaside relatively early because seems to fill up so quickly. The price of the cruise is really low and have a slide for my son so that is sold me. I also ask MSC that if I change my mind want to cancel, MSC said longer before 90 days mark I will get all my money back so that makes me feel better.

59 minutes ago, Susie said:

Yes, we were on Grandeur this year 12 night during Easter 2018, March 24-April 5. It was so much fun, we were on the beach most stop. My favorite is St. Lucia and St. Kitts. St. Lucia we did the all-day tour to a plantation, a beach, a volcano, and a waterfall. My husband found the tour on the Internet and book it online. For St. Kitts we did the beach forgot the name. The water was so calm and clear, the fishes came right to you and next to the restaurant. We rent the umbrella and 2x lounge chairs then ordered sushi, whole pizza, and beers.               

I am sure you guys will have fun in Europe and Moscow. Can't wait to see your nice pictures. We live in Maryland that why we are on Grandeur a lot. However, my son getting older and not much to do on Grandeur.

I figured as much.  We live in KY so Baltimore is just a 6.5 hour drive for us,  so It is our closest cruise port and have done the Grandeur twice as it is so convenient. 

What was your son’s name.  I will ask Zack if he remembers him.  If you saw 7 year old boy running like a crazy person that was probably zack.

The Grandeur is definitely not the most exciting ship in the fleet but the kids club is really all Zack needs to stay entertained., but the extra amenities like an ifly and bumper cars don’t hurt.

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

A few of us (mainly loyal to Royal people) here have sailed the Seaside.  This post offers a good comparison.  They are not Royal.  But they are definitely good competition for Royal.  I also did a live blog from the Seaside.  I can PM you if you are interested.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5984-msc-seaside-thoughts-from-a-mostly-loyal-to-royal-family/&tab=comments#comment-63785

Very informative,  thank you for posting that.  We will definitely consider it the next time they have those free drink package deals with a balcony.  We almost booked the last time they had one as the price was insane. 

We have done Disney twice and over 150 Days in RCI.  Disney is super hard to justify during peak season, and I find it good to hear we aren’t the only ones that think that.  We have lots of DVP friends who continually push DCl on us,  but the price is insane when you can get a product like RCI for 1/2 to 1/3 the cost based on time of year.

9 minutes ago, Rimmit said:

Very informative,  thank you for posting that.  We will definitely consider it the next time they have those free drink package deals with a balcony.  We almost booked the last time they had one as the price was insane. 

We have done Disney twice and over 150 Days in RCI.  Disney is super hard to justify during peak season, and I find it good to hear we aren’t the only ones that think that.  We have lots of DVP friends who continually push DCl on us,  but the price is insane when you can get a product like RCI for 1/2 to 1/3 the cost based on time of year.

We have done DCL 3 times. Very much done with it. My kids have grown past that and we are not Disney fanatics. I agree, DCL great for those with younger ones, that's about it.