Group cruise questions from a Newbie

So my husband and I are becoming frequent cruisers and when surfing the amazing Royal Caribbean Blog I noticed the group cruises specifically the Dec. 29th 2019 cruise on Freedom of the Seas. We had been talking about booking our next cruise on the Freedom for Jan 5th 2020 which has a similar itinerary to the New Years Eve cruise. So now I'm curious how does the experience differ on a group cruise vs. cruising on your own? Is it mostly about meeting up with online friends or are there different events or excursions? Right now no one in our friends and family cruises or will even consider it (crazy I know) so I'm intrigued about being able to meet people who share our new obsession ?

Let me just start by saying group cruises are amazing.  They are a totally different experience than cruising on your own, if you participate in the group activities.  You do as much or as little with the group as you want to.  You can join in on group excursions - if you want.  You can sit with everyone for dinner in the MDR each night - if you want.  You can join Matt for a live podcast recording - if you want.  You can come play a game with everyone - if you want.  You can dance in the Solarium until 2am - if you want.  LOL  Your participation level is totally up to you.  There will definitely be activities the group does that is not available to other cruisers, like the podcast recording or game. 

We went on the Harmony group cruise last September and probably did 1/3 of all the group stuff.  We originally were booked on a sailing the week before, but the hurricanes enabled us to change our plans to join the group cruise.  Since we got on only a few days before the sailing, we did not get to sign up for a lot of the group stuff nor were we seated in the group table in the MDR.  But we joined in the welcome meet-up, the bar crawl, sat with everyone at some of the shows (but not all), went to the live podcast recording, laughed at the Super Password game show, danced until 2am one night, went on a bar crawl, played trivia, and did eat with a small group one night in the MDR (most were at specialty restaurants that night).  Just to name a few of the things. 

One of the fun advantages of being with a group, is that you find a friend where ever you go.  MEI gave everyone a lanyard (us included) so it was easy to spot someone else in the group.  Our group was around 100 people, so it was easy to find someone to sit and chat with, have a drink with, when ever you were looking.  This was going to be our first cruise solo (meaning without the kids) in 20 years, and we were looking forward to finding some others to hang out with. Even though we enjoy each other's company, we enjoy the social aspect of cruising even more.  But there were plenty of times we wanted some quiet time, so we just did things together then.  We have an empty nest and spend a lot of time alone together.  HAHA!    

At least one group activity is scheduled every day; here is a list from the Harmony cruise: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/royal-caribbean-blog-harmony-of-the-seas-group-cruise-events 

I will say if you ARE going to join the group, book with MEI.  There will be activities they coordinate that you cannot join in if you booked yourself or with another TA.  

WOW! That actually sounds really fun ? We love cruising, but the one thing we miss when cruising without the kids is having friends to meet up with for drinks, dinner or whatever sometimes. So a group cruise sounds like we would have the opportunity everyday to join in with some fun people for all sorts of things. Thanks for the event link it gave me a great idea of the different types of events that we might see. Although now I've found an addiction to podcasts that never existed before since you mentioned it and every time I think I'm done I see a different episode that has new information that i just need to know ? After 4 cruises I thought I might have figured all this out, but now I'm positive that I can cruise for the rest of my life and still learn something new with each one. Congratulations on getting your first solo cruise under your belt sounds like you're not letting that empty nest get you down ? 

I actually booked our next family via Next Cruise on our solo Allure sailing this last Jan (thanks @Matt) and  took the  suggestion  to transfer the booking to an MEI agent and I couldn't be happier with her help so far. She had repriced our family cruise with Kids Sail Free before I even knew the sail was going on which is a load off my mind since I no longer wonder if I missed an amazing sale because I was too busy. This blog and subsequent message boards are a lifesaver and make cruising easy and fun.

Group cruises are Royal Caribbean cruises where we invite you to cruise with us.  The idea is we have one to two events per day.  Regardless of the event, it's up to you to come to as few or as many events as you like.

Most of the events are social gatherings of one kind or another.  Basically, excuses to hang out.  The more you come to the events, the more you really get to know other people in the group and then you get to be part of the fun together.  Inevitably, there are other impromptu events.

I suggest listening to the Group Cruise review podcast, like this one: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/podcast/episode-217-harmony-of-the-seas-group-cruise-review

On 8/4/2018 at 2:30 PM, kpersons09 said:

So my husband and I are becoming frequent cruisers and when surfing the amazing Royal Caribbean Blog I noticed the group cruises specifically the Dec. 29th 2019 cruise on Freedom of the Seas. We had been talking about booking our next cruise on the Freedom for Jan 5th 2020 which has a similar itinerary to the New Years Eve cruise. So now I'm curious how does the experience differ on a group cruise vs. cruising on your own? Is it mostly about meeting up with online friends or are there different events or excursions? Right now no one in our friends and family cruises or will even consider it (crazy I know) so I'm intrigued about being able to meet people who share our new obsession ?

The Freedom New Years GC is going to be EPIC.  A lot of our cruising friends are booked.  I think half of the aft is RCBlog folks already.  It should be one hell of a party on an awesome ship with a great itinerary.  As others have said you can do as much or as little official group activities as you want. You will find out a lot of unofficial events pop up, and some times we even close down a bar... or three.  For example, pub crawling is fun with your friends... Pub crawling with 60 friends can be down right silly. I have done Onboard Broadway shows, cabin tours, game shows, pod cast, slot pulls, sail away parties, private events in some really awesome cabins, photography talks, cake and beverages, private lunches, welcome events, good bye events and much more all while group cruising.

The best part is you will see some people on group cruise after group cruise and friendships blossom.  You will soon see that on non group cruises that a lot of time people you sailed with are on different cruises and sailing the same time as you.  It's always nice having someone on a ship you know.

Trust me, there will be tons of ship talk.  Give it a try.  Come hang out with the cool kids!

Group Cruises are the best. a majority of the cruise I have gone on are group cruises.  Went on TWO cruises for our honeymoon....BOTH group cruise (see my list below). Radio station cruises (RealRadio 104.1 Orlando), Friend (200+) group cruises, Tom & Dan cruise 450 ppl, Monsters of Rock Group Cruise (40+ band playing), Real Estate Investor GC, and coming up the RCLBlog GC in 2019

40 minutes ago, kpersons09 said:

LOL I'm convinced! I mean who doesn't want to hang out with the cool kids ? Although it's sounding more and more like I need to consider the ultimate drink package for that cruise ?

LOL Drink package is very helpful!  But not necessary.  We won't be getting it on the Anthem group cruise next year.