Busted in Cozumel...sad face.

On the Harmony of the Seas right now.  Two days ago, we were in Cozumel.  I had brought a muffin, few cookies, and a bagel in a Ziplock baggie into port for my beach day.  I had read not to bring any fruits or veggies into ports!  My family has a hobby that when we visit a beach in a different country, we hunt for beach glass, which we display in vases or make into jewelry back home.  When we were going through port security to return to the ship, all of our sea glass was confiscated , and we were told that “it was forbidden”.  They also took the bagel, cookies, and muffin because that was forbidden too.  We had spent all day collecting beach glass, so we asked for a supervisor to confirm that taking beach glass was not allowed, and the supervisors said it was forbidden as well.  Since we have collected beach glass from a dozen countries, this was new to us.  Just wanted to share my story.  

We have randomly had some ports stop us for things like beach glass and others not. I understand things like shells/driftwood/coral potentially being harmful since they are "organic" in nature but beach glass is just glass.

At this point we have pretty much figured out that if you put it in the cargo pocket of your shorts, it doesn't set off the security scanners but if you put it in a bag and send it through x-ray they "see it" and are supposed to stop you.