Extension Cords Prohibited?

While reading the prohibited items page on the RC Website, I noticed that extension cords are not allowed onboard. But contradictory to this policy, I was able to bring one in 2016 on Allure. Is this a new rule or do the security team take a blind eye to this rule? 

Anyone been stopped while bringing a cord in recent times? Any tips, because there really is not enough plugs for today's world in the cabins, would be greatly appreciated!

-Carson

Here's a good article from CruiseHabit.com on bringing power strips on cruise ships, why they're restricted, and what some alternatives might be - https://www.cruisehabit.com/power-strips-why-theyre-not-allowed-ships-and-how-safely-gain-some-extra-outlets

I've quite often seen these confiscated, but it's possible yours could have been overlooked during security screening. 

*** Edited because I posted the wrong link the first time.

In San Juan this past May security was very inquisitive and thorough.  They confiscated my extension cord that I had sailed with many, many times:

371502091_extcord.jpg.9185695505a18d247248ab9efb28c019.jpg

It's a simple two wire cord for medical use.  I use it with a CPAP machine but they didn't care.  Ironically I asked my cabin attendant for one and he supplied me with exactly the same type of extension cord to use with my CPAP so I kept it.  Figured it was a fair trade. It's for medical purposes after all.

They also didn't like my euro style phone charger (no surge protection, simple phone charger).  I use a euro charger to use the euro power port for something leaving the other NA style outlet available for other things.  There were about to confiscate it when I argued I need it to charge my phone.  They asked if I was from Europe so I said "Yes I am!" and they let me keep it.

I had never had a problem before or even raised an eyebrow at security but in San Juan they were very tough.

Just now, twangster said:

In San Juan this past May security was very inquisitive and thorough.  They confiscated my extension cord that I had sailed with many, many times:

371502091_extcord.jpg.9185695505a18d247248ab9efb28c019.jpg

It's a simple two wire cord for medical use.  I use it with a CPAP machine but they didn't care.  Ironically I asked my cabin attendant for one and he supplied me with exactly the same type of extension cord to use with my CPAP so I kept it.  Figured it was a fair trade. It's for medical purposes after all.

They also didn't like my euro style phone charger (no surge protection, simple phone charger).  I use a euro charger to use the euro power port for something leaving the other NA style outlet available for other things.  There were about to confiscate it when I argued I need it to charge my phone.  They asked if I was from Europe so I said "Yes I am!" and they let me keep it.

I had never had a problem before or even raised an eyebrow at security but in San Juan they were very tough.

Huh, interesting. We have tons of those two wires at home that we use all the time, and even bring them on a plane every time without a hitch (knock on wood). Will not bring on SY here coming up soon.

Did you have it in your Carry-on or Checked? Reading some CC boards that seems to make a difference.

So they also have some extension cords on board the ships? Good to know!

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

They confiscated my extension cord that I had sailed with many, many times

I used to travel with one similar to that (no surge protector, just two extra outlets) and never had an issue.  I switched to an Anker USB plug since in reality that's all I ever really plug in other than my laptop charger and wife's hair straightener.  

Just now, CraftyCat05 said:

Huh, interesting. We have tons of those two wires at home that we use all the time, and even bring them on a plane every time without a hitch (knock on wood). Will not bring on SY here coming up soon.

Did you have it in your Carry-on or Checked? Reading some CC boards that seems to make a difference.

So they also have some extension cords on board the ships? Good to know!

I often have one in each - one in carry on and one in checked.  On this cruise I didn't check luggage.  It was a 5 night so I had everything in carry on. 

I've taken the same cord on every ship I've sailed and never had a problem on RCI.  Same thing happened once on Carnival in New Orleans.  Just once, all other cruises it was fine, same style cord.

Security in terminals is usually a 3rd party, not RCI crew.  I guess in San Juan that company has trained their employees to confiscate.

I'll bring my newly acquired cord with me on all future cruises including SY.

Just now, twangster said:

Security in terminals is usually a 3rd party, not RCI crew.  I guess in San Juan that company has trained their employees to confiscate.

Sounds about right to me.  If you really wanted to fight them on the issue, you probably could go up the chain but it seems like a lot of effort for something very simple.

Just now, Matt said:

switched to an Anker USB plug

Do you mind linking me to which one you use? I can only find ones with surge protectors in the device. 

1 minute ago, twangster said:

I'll bring my newly acquired cord with me on all future cruises including SY.

When are you going on SY? During the group cruise or earlier/later?

3 minutes ago, CraftyCat05 said:

Do you mind linking me to which one you use? I can only find ones with surge protectors in the device. 

When are you going on SY? During the group cruise or earlier/later?

October transatlantic.  Hoping BCN security allows my chargers and cord.  It will be a long cruise if I can't charge my phone ?

We always have an extension cord and a 3 way plug in our luggage.   I put them in my shoes and stuff socks in my shoes as well.  So far so lucky.  Carry on is where things get real dicey.  We gave up on a night light for the bathroom years ago and have 2 small pen light flashlights for night time use.   Going to start bringing a battery operated votive candle for the bathroom at night time.   

On 6/14/2018 at 8:03 PM, twangster said:

Hoping BCN security allows my chargers and cord.  It will be a long cruise if I can't charge my phone ?

On our AIDA cruise from Barcelona they didn't care for our extension cord (3 wire, European plug) or our 4 wire USB charger. I'll also try to bring adapters to also use the US sockets.