Voom internet for family, not sure how to book this...

Loriann

We are a family of 4 sailing on the Allure. We will need 3-4 devices for this trip. I haven't used internet at sea before....it looks like I can pick 4 devices, but I need to order that all under one person to get the best discount. (Rather than each family member ordering a single device). Will we need to let RC know which device we want per person (some want phone, some want laptop), or do we just turn on which device we want and the system figures it out? Thanks for any help on this!

6 minutes ago, Loriann said:

We are a family of 4 sailing on the Allure. We will need 3-4 devices for this trip. I haven't used internet at sea before....it looks like I can pick 4 devices, but I need to order that all under one person to get the best discount. (Rather than each family member ordering a single device). Will we need to let RC know which device we want per person (some want phone, some want laptop), or do we just turn on which device we want and the system figures it out? Thanks for any help on this!

Are you needing all the devices at the same time? It is by the number of active devices at a time. Saw you have 4 devices but only need 2 at a time you could use the 2 device plan for example.

17 minutes ago, Loriann said:

We have 2 staterooms...can the people in the other stateroom from who I'm booking this under, use the same plan?

They don't know where the devices are with respect to cabins so it doesn't really matter where the devices are. You will receive the info in one room but could be shared between the others.

2 minutes ago, joost said:

when u book the internet you get login info. what would limit 4 devices at the same time. no mather where you are on the ship. pool restaurants.

in theory if u book enough voomx4 packages you could supplie the entire ship with voom.

Now, this opens a new can of worms. Would it be bad if you bought like a 2 device plan with someone to split the costs since it would be lower? Probably would be too much work to be worth it but just was thinking.

5 minutes ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

Now, this opens a new can of worms. Would it be bad if you bought like a 2 device plan with someone to split the costs since it would be lower? Probably would be too much work to be worth it but just was thinking.

I doubt Royal would care. Even if the two of you are in different rooms, how is it different than me buying the 4-device plan for my family that’s using two cabins?

Just to expand on my earlier comment, it’s not like sharing a drink package where the drinks are a consumable item that will eventually run out if too much sharing goes on. Here we’re just talking bandwidth usage; it’s not infinite, but compared to the cost of the physical consumables on board it has a much lower per-unit (let’s say one megabyte of data) cost.

11 minutes ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

my dad bought a 2 device plan, since he wont be using both at same time i use the same code for one device. done same last cruise.

and jlmoran said. for rc it shouldnt be a diverence. me using x divices myself or having others use the divices slots i bought when im not using them

On 2/17/2018 at 11:55 AM, joost said:

when u book the internet you get login info. what would limit 4 devices at the same time. no mather where you are on the ship. pool restaurants.

in theory if u book enough voomx4 packages you could supplie the entire ship with voom.

The system knows how many are currently logged using the code.  If you purchase for 4 devices and a 5th login is attempted someone in the original four gets the boot.  

For this reason its ok to share a multi device plan with people you trust, but if you meet some internet people offering to share a multi device plan you run the risk of them over sharing the code and you getting the boot.   

Of course I'd never do that so please share your codes with me! 

With the internet plans, you can share the plan with anyone you like.  The issue is once you use up all the connections under your plan, you have to wait for one to disconnect before another can take its place.

The internet plans are "device agnostic", meaning they aren't linked to a particular device. You could get a one device plan and use an iPhone, iPad, laptop, kindle, Xbox...but it would have to be one at at time.

We just completed a cruise on Adventure of the Seas. We purchased the Deluxe Drink / VOOM Internet Package. The Internet sucked. Web pages loaded slowly, like back in the days of dial-up modems. Fastest Internet at Sea? Able to stream video? Not for us, not on this ship. 

Think carefully, before spending your money. Talk to others who have used VOOM on the ship you are sailing on.

22 minutes ago, fillmoreranger said:

We just completed a cruise on Adventure of the Seas. We purchased the Deluxe Drink / VOOM Internet Package. The Internet sucked. Web pages loaded slowly, like back in the days of dial-up modems. Fastest Internet at Sea? Able to stream video? Not for us, not on this ship. 

Think carefully, before spending your money. Talk to others who have used VOOM on the ship you are sailing on.

@twangster has made a number of posts about the internet offerings on the different ships, and has noted that Freedom class, Oasis class, and Quantum class all now have the faster satellite broadband, while the other ships in the fleet do not (yet). Not clear if part of why the other ships don't is because of their age, because of the difficulty retrofitting them with the necessary wi-fi hardware and satellite antennas, or maybe a function of those ships going over a much broader section of the world that may be out of range of O3B satellite service for more of the year than they're in range, which would make upgrading them impractical.

3 hours ago, JLMoran said:

@twangster has made a number of posts about the internet offerings on the different ships, and has noted that Freedom class, Oasis class, and Quantum class all now have the faster satellite broadband, while the other ships in the fleet do not (yet). 

Freedom class minus Liberty.  I sail her next week and only then will I know if Liberty has been upgraded to O3b.

I was hoping Adventure would be upgraded during dry dock but it doesn't sound like it.  

9 minutes ago, twangster said:

Freedom class minus Liberty.  I sail her next week and only then will I know if Liberty has been upgraded to O3b.

Based on Periscopes, I'd say Liberty is no worse than Freedom or Indy.  It used to be impossible to live stream on there, but last summer they upgraded the antenna.

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Based on Periscopes, I'd say Liberty is no worse than Freedom or Indy.  It used to be impossible to live stream on there, but last summer they upgraded the antenna.

You can scope over geosynchronous and make wifi calls too, but there tends to be more jitter and less consistent throughput. 

At times on Grandeur I could make wifi calls and talk normally albeit with a delay, but 15 minutes later calls would be terrible.  Until I see the ping times and experience it myself, I'm not calling Liberty in the same class as her sisters.  

Hopefully by keeping expectations lower I'll be pleasantly surprised on Liberty.  

The renewed contract for "37 ships" doesn't mean all ships will get bandwidth increases.  It's likely a shared commitment spread across the fleet.  I'm sure certain ships that sell Voom well and tend towards a younger generation will perform better than older ship that have lower demand for Voom (like Grandeur as an example).  The revised agreement could simply be a renewal adding new ships to the contract and it's quite possible not much will change on existing ships with the new bandwidth going to Symphony and Edge.  Only time will tell.    

17 hours ago, fillmoreranger said:

For those of us that are not frequent RC cruisers, we can only go by what is advertised on RC’s website. To say some ships have the newer tech and some do not... that should have been clearly articulated on their website. I signed up for the package on Adventure

assuming we would have streaming abilities, as advertised. 

I agree, however, this seems to be a deliberate decision on the marketing side of things