Using Canadian credit cards onboard

Razorrayy

I have a question for any other Canadian cruisers or anyone who may know this answer.

Each time I fill out my Set to Sail paper work they ask to select one of two options: 1- should I allow Royal Caribbean to figure out the current exchange rate with a small fee added or 2 - Should I allow my card to be charged in American currency and then have my Canadian bank complete the current exchange and I also believe there is a small fee as well.

I have done this both ways and still have no idea what I should select each time I cruise?

59 minutes ago, Razzorray said:

I have a question for any other Canadian cruisers or anyone who may know this answer.

Each time I fill out my Set to Sail paper work they ask to select one of two options: 1- should I allow Royal Caribbean to figure out the current exchange rate with a small fee added or 2 - Should I allow my card to be charged in American currency and then have my Canadian bank complete the current exchange and I also believe there is a small fee as well.

I have done this both ways and still have no idea what I should select each time I cruise?

We now travel with a US credit card but before when we didn't have one we would choose "2" and then exchange cash prior to the cruise and pay off our onboard account with cash.  It was a lot to carry around but we found it significantly cheaper to exchange ahead of time at a land based currency exchange.  It's been a while since we've done that.  We've had our US credit card for a while now so I don't even know if that is even an option anymore.  Someone here asked a similar question before a few months ago and a few of us Canadians use a US card to travel.   Might be worth looking into if you travel a lot.  I'll see if I can find the previous thread.

Let your credit card charge you the rate...as you will pay more with option 1.

USD credit card is the way to go when travelling really.

If you don't want to pay the yearly fee etc for one just for travels, some banks offered a "pre-paid" USD visa card. I have one and use it like a savings account during the year when the exchange rate is a little better....put some cash on it...and then when I am ready to go I am all set and it costs nothing extra to use it.