Random Questions - Brilliance of the Seas

Ancestry

Hubby and I cruised many times when we were first married but this will be our first cruise in 16 years and we will have two teenagers with us. Doing a 4 night on the Brilliance of the Seas out of Tampa at the beginning of January.

I have a couple of questions:

1) We prepaid for the tips as part of our package pricing. I think it was $13.50 per person per day (or something close to that). Is there anyone or anything I need to tip for that isn't included in those prepaid tips? (Last time we cruised in 2001 you put cash in an envelope and handed it over to the respective people on the last day.)

2) Is soap/shampoo/conditioner provide in the staterooms of Brilliance of the Seas?

3) Other than purchasing the wifi/internet package (which I don't want to do as the cost is crazy for four people and I'm trying to get the kids to put down their phones) is there any way to stay in touch with my kids on the ship? If we split up how can I find them -- is there an app that works on the ship or internet intranet for just on the ship? I read on the Internet to do the old fashioned thing and leave notes for each other which is fine to a certain extent. But if something unexpected comes up and I need to find them or they need to find me is there any way to do this short of running all over the ship looking for each other?

Thanks for your help!

51 minutes ago, Ancestry said:

Hubby and I cruised many times when we were first married but this will be our first cruise in 16 years and we will have two teenagers with us. Doing a 4 night on the Brilliance of the Seas out of Tampa at the beginning of January.

I have a couple of questions:

1) We prepaid for the tips as part of our package pricing. I think it was $13.50 per person per day (or something close to that). Is there anyone or anything I need to tip for that isn't included in those prepaid tips? (Last time we cruised in 2001 you put cash in an envelope and handed it over to the respective people on the last day.)

2) Is soap/shampoo/conditioner provide in the staterooms of Brilliance of the Seas?

3) Other than purchasing the wifi/internet package (which I don't want to do as the cost is crazy for four people and I'm trying to get the kids to put down their phones) is there any way to stay in touch with my kids on the ship? If we split up how can I find them -- is there an app that works on the ship or internet intranet for just on the ship? I read on the Internet to do the old fashioned thing and leave notes for each other which is fine to a certain extent. But if something unexpected comes up and I need to find them or they need to find me is there any way to do this short of running all over the ship looking for each other?

Thanks for your help!

I wanted to say Hello. I will be on the ship Jan 2. We are going to have an awesome vacation.

The prepaid gratuities covers main dining room staff and your room keeper. Not really anyone that you need to tip unless you just feel like it. Anytime you buy a drink or pay for dining at a specialty restaurant an 18% tip is automatically charged (drinks) or included in the price (special restaurants).

There are bars of soap and a liquid shampoo plus conditioner. Its not the best but it works if you aren't too picky.

Not many options for keeping in contact other than setting a certain time to check in. There are room phones in your rooms and some spread through out the ship that you can freely use to call each others rooms and or leave messages. 

1) I always give the prepaid tips and give a little extra to our stateroom attendant.  Usually around $20-$40.

2) yes, but unless you're follically challenged like me, bring your own.  The soap is fine, but some insist on their own.

3) You can get walkie talkies, but the service can be spotty and the sounds can be annoying to other passengers.  The Internet package would be the best way to go, but decide if you really need it.  Just set certain times to meet up during the day.  Of course this depends on the age of your children. 

Texting is relatively cheap. It should cost no more than 50 cents and some carriers only charge for sending, not receiving. However, make sure that data roaming is turned off or you'll be in for a big surprise when you get your bill. 

I find the shampoo fine, but I would being your item conditioner if you use it at home as the all in one stuff doesn't condition very well. 

If you order breakfast through room service, it's customer to tip a couple of dollars. 

2 hours ago, Ancestry said:

Check out this blog post about communicating while onboard: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/07/27/how-stay-touch-someone-your-royal-caribbean-cruise

1.  Bring small bills for porters, airline bags and tips in port for drivers, tour guides, etc. Unless you do room service you don't have to tip anyone else assuming you prepaid tips.

2. I have long hair and I hate the all in 1 shampoo. So if you have any females in your group, you may want to bring your own.

3. Our first cruise was on Brilliance and we didn't pay for it and with the ship being so small we didn't needed it. We just did the note thing and it wasn't hard. I was really clear about turning the phone off so I didn't get any extra surprises on the cell phone bill and for only 4 days you probably will be fine. It was pretty easy to find them on Brilliance but after one day on Liberty, we broke down and bought it. The ship was that much bigger and so much harder to find one another. We've bought it every larger ship since then and will buy it again for Harmony.  

We didn't get the internet on either cruise with the kids and we did fine.   We would talk about the day and they knew generally where we would be.  It was never a problem.   

I have always brought my own shampoo and conditioner... just a snob and don't love the cheap all in ones (my hair is too long).  

I've never needed the hair dryer but there should definitely be one! 

Have a great time!   I will be at Disney ruining a half marathon I haven't trained for and dreaming about my freedom cruise in March!  Jane

14 hours ago, Judy Rouse said:

Can I interject another random question?  Do the staterooms on Brilliance of the Seas have hair dryers?  (Will have D1 Balcony stateroom on transAtlantic in a few weeks)

12 hours ago, DocLC said:

Yes although some complain about their power. You should find it in the desk drawer. 

And this is true on all Royal Caribbean ships.

On 10/18/2017 at 6:00 PM, Judy Rouse said:

Do the staterooms on Brilliance of the Seas have hair dryers?

On 10/19/2017 at 9:27 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

about the fact that they are the kind of hair dryer where you have to hold down a button the entire time you're using it.  That is a complete nuisance.

Everyone has already answered this so yes and ^^^^ this. I have a lot of thick, long, wavy hair. The provided dryers do nothing for my hair.