Should our 10 year old daughter have the full dinner experience with Mom and Dad or go to the Adventures Club at 645pm

TheWHOfan

Depends on your child and her interests/maturity.

We started cruising with our son when he was about 5/6. First cruise we brought him to MDR with us and he loved it, he has never shown any interest in skipping it since and actually gets a little bummed if we decide to skip dinner and hit the buffet.

I dont recall whether Adventure Ocean is open the first night now, i know it did not used to be but thought i read they had changed that so it might be a night 1 option, just keep in mind night 1 is usually a madhouse for everyone so in terms of meeting kids may or may not be a good time.

2 hours ago, jticarruthers said:

Depends on your child and her interests/maturity.

I agree. My kids can't wait to get to AO. More importantly, they find dinner in MDR too boring for their taste.

On day 1, there is an open house in the afternoon.  Might be a good opportunity to not only register your kids, but let them see the space and talk to counselors about what they will do.

Unless something changed, AO doesn't open until 8 the first night and 7 the other nights.  My kids always go the first night and as others have said, check in on the first night is a bit crazy because many didn't go and pre-register.  We always eat in the MDR with my kids...sometimes it may be our only meal as a family.  I have 2 teens who would check in my younger 2 early before the dessert course if they were in a hurry to meet friends.  Sometimes I'd ask for dessert early for the kids if its taking too long or if they want to get it on their own at WJ.  

• 2 weeks later...

Our kids stay with us for dinner now (currently 8 and 10 years old) primarily because my son wants to eat steak every single night of the cruise.  Back when he was an omnivore RC had this program where you go to dinner, the kids have an expedited meal (half hour), and then you brought them out of the dining room at a certain time where Adventure Ocean staff meets you and brings the kids to AO, while you and your spouse breathe a sigh of relief and enjoy the rest of your meal in peace. 

IIRC we had a 6pm dinner and a 6:30pm pickup.  I don't think they offered it the first night, but I may not be 100% positive about that.

2 hours ago, bcarney said:

Our kids stay with us for dinner now (currently 8 and 10 years old) primarily because my son wants to eat steak every single night of the cruise.  

Sounds like my son!  Sometimes he would get a burger with his steak!  He is now 18 and we visited him this, weekend at college.   He asked us to take him to buffalo wild wings since he'd already had steak at his dorm the night beefier.   Honestly,  these dorm cafeterias are like eating at the windjammer every night... the selection is amazing!   Jane