Sint Maarten

If you get a chance, search #sintmaarten on Instagram and Twitter. The photos are devastating. I am thinking and praying for our friend on that island who Matt introduced us to through his many blog posts, Leo Brown. We spent a great day with him in 2016.

If anyone knows any organizations collecting support for that island, I'd love to know.

21 hours ago, Spiegeje said:

If anyone knows any organizations collecting support for that island, I'd love to know.

Me too. I had an amazing day diving in Saint Maarten on one of our Disney Cruises and would love to give back a little from an Island that gave me an amazing experience.

I have finely slowed down enough to watch some video from St Maarten, been busy helping people recover from Harvey in Houston, but I ditto everyone else, if someone hears of recovery organizations, please post.

Doesn't look like anyone will be flying in for awhile, so maybe by boat is the best way...

The Dutch and French governments are sending aid according to some news articles I have seen. Since Sint Maarten is dealing with Jose right now, we won't know much for a few more days. The SXM government website has not been updated since Thursday. Quite a few YouTube videos have popped up. All of the Snapchat videos that were up yesterday except one near Marigot have expired as I write this. It shows what looks like some aid efforts. You can use the pinch to map feature and find it if you move the map to the Eastern Caribbean. There are no Periscopes from there.

I found a Facebook tourism page that posted links to send money. I won't post it here because while I think it is legit, I am not certain how quickly the aid will get to those who need it. I am choosing to hold out until I see something more concrete. It's killing me, because my heart goes out to all on that island.

FYI, as far as the USVI and British Virgin Islands, I saw that the country singer Kenny Chesney is putting together a big effort to send aid.

1 hour ago, Spiegeje said:

The Dutch and French governments are sending aid according to some news articles I have seen. Since Sint Maarten is dealing with Jose right now, we won't know much for a few more days. The SXM government website has not been updated since Thursday. Quite a few YouTube videos have popped up. All of the Snapchat videos that were up yesterday except one near Marigot have expired as I write this. It shows what looks like some aid efforts. You can use the pinch to map feature and find it if you move the map to the Eastern Caribbean. There are no Periscopes from there.

I found a Facebook tourism page that posted links to send money. I won't post it here because while I think it is legit, I am not certain how quickly the aid will get to those who need it. I am choosing to hold out until I see something more concrete. It's killing me, because my heart goes out to all on that island.

FYI, as far as the USVI and British Virgin Islands, I saw that the country singer Kenny Chesney is putting together a big effort to send aid.

Thanks for the update Spiegeje. Yes Kenny Chesney is doing the right thing. Also,  former San Antonio Spurs center, Tim Duncan, has pledged  to match $1 million for U.S. Virgin Islands relief.  He grew up in the Virgin Islands before moving to the U.S for college in 1993. :27_sunglasses: